Now is the time to trade for Yannick Ngakoue (Traded to Vikings)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by footballfundamentals, Aug 8, 2020.

1. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

What would it take to get him? He is only 25. We have not had a proven pass rusher for years. It would be an instant upgrade to the defensive line and overall defense. Quinnen Williams skills could potentially be unlocked. It would mask some weakness on the back end.

I would offer our 2021 second rounder and the 3rd rounder sent from Seattle for the Adams trade. If that is a no, possibly send a first rounder (from Seattle) in 2021. But I would be hesitant to do that.

#1 footballfundamentals, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not for the $22 million per year he wants. It's a cap killer and hurts the culture of a locker room to bring in an outsider for that kind of contract. Good player but he's not Aaron Donald.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea. What if we can't sign him next year, then our picks will be lost, not to mention all the cap$ we spend on him this year. A full '20 season is not a sure thing & it will be a waste of cap & picks. I would feel different if it were a normal season & we could sign him long term.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m against it as well. It just doesn’t make sense for the season.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

With potential opt outs, the season likely being a mess of canceled games and what not as far as coronavirus is concerned, teams have mostly wisely not dished out too many massive deals. At least we haven't.

We should wait and see how the season unfolds, and if our country can progress's in fixing this with a vaccine and what not. But not getting into that here.

You'd hate to invest big money in a player only to essentially lose their first season because they get infected or the entire team does and you dumped $20 million down the drain on top of a ridiculous signing bonus.

The best years of a players career in terms of a second contract are usually the first two, and if you correctly front load the contract (although big contracts in general are a no-no) then you can move on after you squeezed those top two years out.

Ngakoue is a good player and has a really good pressure rate. But this franchise needs to build a foundation and a season to build on before gearing up for a SB run like signing a player like him would indicate.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1st of all a 2nd & 3rd not getting it done, I’d imagine if that was the price he would’ve been traded already, wishful thinking.

Looks pretty clear that JD wants to have maximum cap flexibility for next year and a cache of picks to work with. This would run contrary to both of those.

Perhaps after the season it would be a different story if they prove this year to be closer than some think.

#6 Attackett, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    barfolomew, NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is just too expensive for me.

amuck57 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

18 million for one wasted season and giving up draft capital. No thanks.

K'OB, amuck57, joe and 3 others like this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Love the overwhelming objection to his trade. Pass.

K'OB, azhar80, BudJet and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I’d much rather trade for Allen Robinson

11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Shouldn't happen and wont happen. Douglas is building this thing with his guys and using free agency to augment depth issues.

I believe Douglas is focusing on capitalizing in the draft, accumulating picks and building this program with young players.

If we are going to spend that money, Jamal Adams would have been a better investment since he was home grown talent.

themorey and azhar80 like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Doesn't seem like a move Douglas would make, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Question for you guys

- Trade for Ngakoue?
    or
    - Sign clowney?

15. BroadwayAaron

If the price is a second round pick in a year where draft picks lose a lot of value, I’d hope he’s all over it. The issue is his 2020 price tag but when you have $30+ mil in space....

blackssmagic and FJF like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Won’t even post them because they’re probably not legit but more than a few “more followers than people they follow” accounts have said it’s the Jets. One who has apparently reported accurate info in the past, one Eagles reporter and one guy who is just some guy.

17. BroadwayAaron

Yannick also liking tweets referencing that he’s being traded but no teams mentioned.

18. BroadwayAaron

All of a sudden...

blackssmagic and themorey like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Isn't Ngakoue a FA after this season? If so, unless JD can sign him to a long-term deal, I don't see the sense in making that trade. I also read somewhere that Ngakoue is a fairly one-dimensional player and not the type of player the Jets want, but that author could be wrong, or maybe neither Q. Williams or Zuniga are looking very good in terms of pass rush in practice, and Williams is in JD's ear demanding help.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Adams is a great player, but he is so-so in coverage, isn't much of a playmaker, and doesn't play a premium position. Ngakoue plays a premium position.

blackssmagic likes this.