CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We have to remember that now that he has opted out he will no longer even be allowed in the facility and will be estranged from the team. Its even worse than being on IR because at least those players can visit the training room and locker room.

He has basically cashed in his leadership chips with the Jets. If the season happens, players that play this season are not going to respect that he didn't line up alongside them when the chips were down. They are not going to turn to him for leadership the next year. In fact, he could become an outcast and become divisive. Especially if someone (like Cashman) plays half decent in his spot.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There is a very real chance Mosley is opting out for financial reasons, Although his family's safety may be a very real concern, I don't know.

However, please understand that Mosley does not "get" anything additional in this scenario. He is actually protecting his finances. Many people do not realize that if this season is cancelled after at least 1 game is played, many players are set to lose substantial amounts of guaranteed money. The owners are protecting themselves with this arrangement, and many players best (or only) option for financial protection is the opt out.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side. He'll be tan, rested and ready!

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

jets_fan likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So out of a league with 2000 players, 40 have opted out so far. Only 12 starters have, which includes NE's "lets tank the season" opt outers. Wednesday is the last day for players to choose to opt out. Do you think there is going to be a last minute rush?

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Well 3 more just opted out in the last 10 minutes.

I'd say the number is going to continue rising

7. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Thank you for posting, now that is going to shut some people up thinking he would have not opted out if he is in Baltimore or opted out for financial reasons

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is not how it works though. It has to be completely health related. He signed a huge deal. He can be upset that Adams was traded, but still show up for the season. The logical thought is if you sit out a year, things will be back to as close to normal (or a new normal), as possible for the 2021 season.

It's just an unfortunately bad look for Mosley who signed that big deal, then missed most of 2019, now skipping 2020. It will rub some fans the wrong way. For me, it is difficult to cheer for or be a fan of a guy making so much and doing so little, but from all I heard from Ravens fans, he is a great guy and player. We just have been unable to see that, except for that 3 quarter stretch against Buffalo.

9. ILoveTheJets

#149 ILoveTheJets, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No it doesn't. If they want to opt out they only get $150k. If it is health related (underlying condition or something) they get $350k.

11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Sadly, one day you will wake up saying the same thing only to realize 20 plus years have passed.
    It's been 40 for me.

12. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I mean the reason is he doesn't want to get coronavirus or potentially expose his family to it. He doesn't have an underlying condition, so he will only get $150,000, but the point is that is why he is opting out.
    Darnold and Douglas are my final hope. If neither of them work out, I will likely lose all optimism and just move on with life. That is my problem though. I think they WILL work out. :)

KWJetsFan, NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Smart move by the player

sucks for fans

Maybe we need to adjust our $$ spend? Stop giving the NFL all that cash

nope we are not united - sadly

mrmajix likes this.
  14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Worse return on an investment we've ever signed, and that included Trumaine Johnson, resigning Revis, and Neil O'Donnell.

15. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

16. ILoveTheJets

I do not agree with it yet, if Mosley comes back next year and has a great year then it is a good return on an investment, if he sucks next year then I would agree

17. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

This really is a kick in the bag.

I am curious to see how Avery and Blake are healing up and if they will be a full go. Smart move from JD not to dump Avery

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What is not how it works? It is my understanding that there doesn't have to be a health-related issue, hence the $150k salary for those who opt out and don't have a compelling medical reason.

20. The Dark Knight

Right, but I think Mosley's reason is Covid-19 and keeping his family safe. Any other reason would be ridiculous. You saying he is mad with the Adams trade would not be a good reason. If so, he could ask for a trade himself, instead of extending his time in New York by a year. Hopefully he puts out a statement to give a more clear reason, but I think you can assume it is due to coronavirus and nothing else.