Full Cap Update

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Currently the Jets are at $21,214,502 in space for 2020 according to overthecap.com for their top 51 players.

This Mosley situation should bring the 2020 space to $27,813,439. Once you account for the full 53 man plus practice squad your probably back down to about $24,513,439 or so.

If the Salary Cap is $175mm, Jets cap space in 2021 is currently slated to be $27,074,880 by my calculations, with only 48 players even under contract. With 11 picks in the draft, that’s already to the teens without batting an eye. That’s basically nothing for free agency.

There is some flexibility to cut some players, but every player released has to be replaced.

Currently my calculated rollover would give the Jets $51,588,319 in 2021 cap room before any rookie deals, and gives Joe Douglas the opportunity to actually build a team in his vision. In fact, even an advantage against many cap strapped teams. Many good players will be released just for teams to get under that $175mm cap.

Wasting that money on a player like Clowney for this year makes absolutely zero sense to me.

egelband, BudJet, NCJetsfan and 6 others like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Mosley’s contract will slide back one season because of the opt out, so when he reports in 2021, he will still have four years left on his deal. The Jets already paid him a $1.5 million bonus, which will count against the team’s cap in 2020, but $16 million will come off the books until next season. Mosley will receive a stipend (either $350K or $150K) while opting out.

The Jets already had $21,214,502 in projected cap space prior to Saturday, according to Over the Cap, and subtracting Mosley’s contract will balloon that number to more than $37 million. That would be second highest in the NFL, behind only the Cleveland Browns.

barfolomew, egelband and twown like this.
  3. MaximusD163

That is not correct. Mosley only has a $6mm salary this year. He received a $10mm roster bonus in March this year. That number will not come off the books for 2020. The salary and the signing bonus come off, which is where my numbers come from.

Edit: His contract slides back a year yes, however this year keeps the roster bonus. As I understand it next year will be counted as signing bonus from 2020+2021 along with 2020 salary. So for simplicity

2020 Cap Hit: 2020 Roster Bonus ($10mm) + Opt Out Loan ($150k) = $10.15mm

2021 Cap Hit: 2020 Signing Bonus ($1.5mm) + 2021 Signing Bonus ($1.5mm) + 2020 Salary ($6mm) - Opt Out Loan ($150k) = $8.85mm

#3 MaximusD163, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    barfolomew and egelband like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We are only gaining 6 mil in 2020, because 10m roster and 1.5 signing was already been paid. So, CAP space would go up to 27.2m. We also gain 11.5m flexibility in 2021, since essentially Mosley's 17.5m contract for 2020 is split as 11.5m in 2020, and 6m in 2021. After that in 2022 back to 17.5m.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

Even though his signing bonus has been paid, it will still not apply to this year. Only the Roster Bonus.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have a few questions. First, why wouldn't his 2020 signing bonus and salary go ahead and count against the cap this year? I don't understand why it would hit next year's cap. Even if it's a team option, I don't understand why they'd do that.

Second, in the bolded above for the 2021 Cap hit, you don't include the 2021 salary, why? Why wouldn't his 2021 salary be included in the 2021 cap hit?

8. MaximusD163

9. MaximusD163

For your first question, it's part of the pending agreement between the NFL and NFLPA. His contract "tolls" which simply means it's paused for a year. As a result, the Jets do not have to pay his salary until he returns next year. Would you really want the Jets to pay a $6mm salary to a player who has chosen not to play? The reason the roster bonus counts is because it was paid this year, which was back in March before anyone had any idea how this season would look.

For your second question, it's still part of the "tolling" which means his contract is paused and will resume where it is now, except next year. It seems I was wrong to include his 2021 Signing Bonus, although I had read that previously.

Look at it like this: The way the contract originally worked:
    Year 1: $$
    Year 2: $$
    Year 3: $$
    Year 4: $$
    Year 5: $$

Now, with the opt out, it looks like this:
    Year 2: $ (Opt Out Year)
    Year 3: $
    Year 6: $$
    See how there is now an additional year?

If Mosley had a contract structure that was slightly different (if there was no Roster Bonus), it would have looked like this

Original:
    Year 2: $$

Opt Out:
    Year 2: xx (Opt Out Year)
    Year 6: $$

Does that make sense?

#9 MaximusD163, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  10. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Thank you for the update, that is very helpful

Brook! and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

So if I am getting this straight, the point is Mosley helps our cap situation in 2021 as he is going to be cheaper for next season?

Also it appears to be if Douglas makes a few choice cuts then we should have a bit of money for free agents.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

I don’t think he is going after any free agents. Not in 2020 anyway.

13. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

One issue with your theory if they go out and dont spend the money or dont get players they wasted another year of not trying to foeld the team with the best players. They as a team owe to the people who pay for the tickets buy the merchandise to field the best team possible with the best players. So what good is going out and saving money and throwing out a yr if they get the formula wrong or dont get the best players.
    I get saving some money to field the best team you are telling the fans we have a plan but we have been bad for so long they need to get good in a hurry. time is not a blessing this team has gained from the fans. SO ig you could sign a probowl caliber player for 15 million and roll over 30 million when it doubles is that so bad?

14. MaximusD163

Well I get the feeling from your post you don’t really understand what cap rollover means, but it’s not clear.

A bird in the hand is only worth two in the bush when you’re not a very good hunter. This is a situation where you have to believe Joe Douglas is a good hunter.

Do you think the Ravens think, hmmm, we better go get free agents because we owe the fans the best possible team right now? No, they understand patient team building can bring you around 2 true Super Bowl windows per decade. Unless you have a top 2 or 3 QB, in which case your window never has to close.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't ask why he wasn't getting paid his salary this year or say that I thought he should, so I don't know where that came from.

You didn't need to be a smart ass. I understand what another year added does. What's with the attitude?

16. MaximusD163

I’m confused because I thought I was answering your question and my tone was meant to be completely normal. I guess it’s lost in internet translation... My explanation was in earnest.

Your question was why wouldn't his salary count against the cap, and why would the team want to push it to next year's cap. The answer is because it's not paid this year, it's paid next year. I guess that's all I needed to say?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

Let me just say this, to anyone out there who thinks players should risk their 2020 salaries playing this year.

The Salary Cap for 2021 is based on the revenues for this year, which I think many of you know. The players are entitled to 47%, and about 80% of that is what dictates the salary cap. If there are no games, or almost none, what would the salary cap be in 2021? Essentially nothing.

The owners have agreed to a $175 million cap floor in 2021 no matter what, and this is a super rough estimate but I doubt the NFL has earned $1 billion from the Draft and NFL Network so far this year, especially after having to cancel the live draft event.. That means if the season opener is a disaster and the season is cancelled, the 2021 players salary cap could account for over 11 thousand % of the revenue for 2020. The owners have agreed to that, just think about that for a second.

If you do the math, this year's cap was $198.2 million. That means that the owners earned almost $9 Billion last year, aside from what went to the players. So each ownership group of an NFL franchise earned a cool $280 million in 2019. Of course there are substantial costs for GM's, coaches, medical facilities, doctors, staffs, stadium crews, not to mention NFL.com staff, NFL Network staff, and the league office staff, but there is a big profit there.

Now in 2020, if the season is cancelled, and players do not receive the majority of their salaries, it's not like player costs will be $0. All of the bonuses paid this year will still be there. Then realize that there are all of the staff members, all of the NFL.com and NFL Network staff members etc, all of which are getting paid.

What I'm trying to say is the NFL could theoretically be in the red this year. Finances are intricately tied together, money earned is invested, it doesn't just sit in a vault waiting to be used. It's easy to say that the owners can afford it but it's far more complicated than that. Some team owners like the Chargers don't have outside businesses, and all of their profits come from the Chargers, who have just invested in a new stadium that is about to sit empty for a year.

Even if more games are played, revenue still takes a big hit with no fans in stadiums.

Shit could get real fucked, to say the least, so the fact that the owners have agreed to this is a huge deal.

On the player side, what if you play in 2020 and games are cancelled after the season opener? Say you are a player with a $9mm salary who will be a free agent after this year. You'll get $530k. then you'll be a free agent in a year with historically low cap space, so you will probably earn pennies on the dollar for your value. You could be an $8mm player and sign for $1.5mm just to have a job.

After taxes and agent fees, your 2020 salary could be $270k, and you risk getting yourself or family sick and losing $16 million in earnings in 2020 and 2021. If you opt out, you get your $9mm in 2021 and you get to be a free agent in a year finances are more normal. There are endless hypothetical scenarios, needless to say, some players could lose out on a boatload of money. Would you want to play for an NFL team with potential losses in the realm of $20mm dollars just so fans who are home safe can drink beer and scream at a TV?

Anyway, that's just a complicated way of saying if a player doesn't want to risk losing any money, they can simply opt out. Many players don't have the financial stability to opt out, however, those who do should absolutely consider it.

The owners should financially have two goals: Play as many games as possible with as many cheap players as possible. That's why the agreement looks like this.

18. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I know exactly what cap roll over is. I just think what is the use of using the cap rollover if you are not even trying to get the best players to try to win games? I am not saying sign everyone but you need an edge rusher or a corner you can try to address that this season.

So you wait a year and then you do into that year needing players in positions you could have used part of that cap to address to field a better team. Why go into next year needing a edge rusher or corner when you have the cash capital to try address a position of need corner or edge rusher as an example and still have at least half the roll over next yr as well and go into the draft needing to fill less positions. I know it is about building a team but it is also about fielding the best team as possible with the resources at hand for the upcoming year.

No one knows how much of a season will be played but you prepare for that. It is time to invest in the team and show the fans you are serious. You cut the OL to bring that money to 50 million in roll over the cap floor is 175 million for next yr that has been established. You are hoping the gm get's it right, but the cost is not addressing team needs that could be addressed this year.
    Meanwhile I dont think the Jets have the right coach (he is not Harbaugh) and let a very good player we drafted walk out while the Ravens sign the players they drafted and developed. The draft choices are nice but no one knows how good they will be while a probowler we drafted got unhappy with the team and the coach and soured the relationship. How is that Raven like? We have a coach with a loosing record to coach a young QB while all of his previous success has come with vets (P.Manning and after that at best top 15 finish in offensive rankings with other qb the last 4 yrs bottom 5 and one last place)

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore...ent-signings-matthew-judon-gets-franchise-tag

You compare mention the Ravens the difference is coaching and smart team building getting players in the draft, signing their own free agents and others that addressed their needs. Your telling me you would rather have money for next year when players that could help the team win this yr. I am not saying spend the entire amount but sign the right players that help you win now and in the future.

We have seen this story in the past with Idzik I am not saying Douglas (I hope not) is idzik but is easy to look smart and not spend money and the team still fails. No one here knows for certain if this will work or not but we have seen this fail once already in the last decade. You are hoping Douglas is a good hunter for next yr, I am saying if he is a good hunter he should be out hunting now with some of the resources we have.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/a-lesson-in-rollover-money-featuring-your-ny-jets.81559/

19. MaximusD163

The hunting I was referring to was in the draft, not free agency.

You can go out and if you know where to look and are a good shot, you can get a big buck and all you use is a rifle round. Or you can go to the store and buy an entire deer's worth of venison, which anyone can do.

That meat is better and the cost is lower. That's the difference between prioritizing the draft vs free agency.

I am also well aware that the Jets are not going to win this year, and I am well aware that neither Clowney, Logan Ryan, or Ngakoue are going to change that.

NCJetsfan and twown like this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The reason so many fans don't understand this is because the Jets have historically drafted so poorly. Fans are understandably traumatized. That's why they don't realize:

a) Yes, you CAN hit home runs in free agency, but you must create the foundation and culture first. Build a core, win some games, discern where your holes are, develop young leaders, listen to them, and that's how you know which big FA's to target.

b) When it comes to drafting, every new GM is different. Flipping tails six times in a row doesn't mean you're likely to continues flipping tails. The Jets draft history has zero bearing on JD's ability to evaluate a draft.