CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Clowney, and Vinny Curry to add to the pass rush. We have a lot of depth at CB wouldn't mind Logan Ryan as the Swiss army knife to help offset the loss of Adams.

I trust Gregg Williams, hopefully none of the players on O opt out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is unfortunate, but I cannot fault Mosley for opting out. He is a millionaire and would be taking a risk going out and playing. Some people have said COVID-19 will be even worse in the Fall and Winter, so you can't blame the guy. However, my optimism for the 2020 season is gone now. Also, the Jets should consider trading Mosley before the 2021 season. Some team would get him at great value for 2021. Then have to pay more in 2022 but would be worth it if he is back to old form. If I am the Jets and Joe Douglas, I am not sure I can trust a guy to lead my defense who literally has been out for 2 straight seasons and was signed by a previous GM.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So, we'll get some return on the contract is what you're saying in 2021?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Jets should. By my math as long as he stays in shape, we should have one of the league’s better Inside Linebackers on a $8.85mm cap hit at age 29 in the year 2021.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Mosley IS going to be financially impacted by this move in a big way, so it is not a money grab. Last two years of his contract, which now will be in 2023 and 2024 are not guaranteed (only 4.5 out of 37m are), and he will be a year older by that time (31 in 2023 and 32 in 2024), which makes it much harder for him to get big money. He is not going to be poor, of course, but still there is a big serious financial impact.

For the Jets, I think this may not be terrible. If you look at what JD is doing, he is trying to compile picks and CAP for next year. He does want to protect and develop Sam this year, but the focus for larger improvement next year. And next year Mosley will be 29 only making 6 mil. The bad news is that he won't come off the books in 2022, and he will still be owed 17.5 mil. However, he will be 30 then and chances are will still be a good player, at the time when we will have all these first round picks drafted and at the peak of what JD is trying to build. In 2023/24, Jets owe him 3m out of 18.5m (2023) +1.5m out of 18.5 (2024), so chances are he will either be renegotiated or released.

Removal of Adams and Mosley means a higher draft pick in 2021 and more CAP room in 2021, which is time when it appears JD targets jump in roster quality via rebuild, while not impacting Sam's development in 2020. This also increases likelihood of a head coach change in 2021 as Gragg Williams may not be in great position to bail out Gase again in 2020.

6. The Dark Knight

The one potential positive would be if Sam and the offense takes over the team in 2020. The Jets become Offense-First, just like most of the league. Then in 2021, you continue to improve the offense and also add a solid player like Mosley to the defense, and the Jets can become a legitimate contender. Also, the Jets already spent a year without Mosley, so not like Gregg Williams' Defense hasn't had to adjust to this before.

So, now the 2020 Jets season again can be focused on Sam and his development. I want to win and win now, but it seems like I will have to continue to wait..........

7. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I wonder if Moseley were still on Ravens would he still opt out? Ravens are legit super bowl contenders. Jets will be bottom feeders after Adams trade, until proven otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Yeah I would do it, any Jets fans would and yeah, Mahomes is all that since he won a Superbowl

9. ILoveTheJets

Yeah he would opt out, if Ravens win the Superbowl, Mosley would still get a ring without playing

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Of course he would.

You think these guys don't want to play football? Their entire lives are centered around football. Him opting out is probably killing him, but this much bigger than just a game. This is his health. I can guarantee you it would not matter what team he were on, he would still opt out

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you don't make that decision for any other reason besides your health. Not because the Ravens are Super Bowl caliber and the Jets are still rebuilding. That doesn't matter.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you. IMO you made the right decision, and not every person would do that. Some would put money, power, prestige, fame above everything. You have peace of mind and soul, and that's worth more than all the money, power, prestige and fame put together. I'm glad you're here. People like you make the world a better place.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I understand why he would opt out, it just absolutely sucks.

Two years later he'll have only played 3 quarters of healthy football for us.

14. NCJetsfan

Before the trade he did say that the Jets would be crazy to trade Adams. You may be onto something.

15. NCJetsfan

16. NCJetsfan

In one sense he would deserve the promotion, but if he's HC, he has to focus on everything and won't have the time to spend being as creative on defense. I'd rather name him DC for life, and give him a huge raise.

17. NCJetsfan

I sure hope that you're right, and you probably are with regards to Mosley, but I can't help but wonder. Before the Jets traded Adams, he publicly said that the Jets would be crazy to trade Adams. He may be pissed that the Jets traded him, think the Jets won't be as good this season, and that could easily be his primary motivating factor rather than his health.

I could be mistaken, but if he was still on the Ravens, I don't think he'd opt out. Yes, he'd still get a ring, but if he's as proud a player as I think he is and loves football as much as Falco21 thinks, that would eat away at him. It would kill him (figuratively) getting a ring that he contributed zero towards. Players don't get many chances to get to or play in a Superbowl. That would have bothered him the rest of his life. I seriously doubt that Mosley would have passed up this season if he thought the Ravens had a great chance of getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

18. ILoveTheJets

He would still opt out due to health and safety reasons

19. NCJetsfan

I disagree. We don't know his real motivation for opting out. It's only speculation.

20. ILoveTheJets

Come on, really?

mrmajix likes this.