Lawrence better prospect than Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

What is the word on the street?

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lawrence is barely a better prospect, I don't think its by much at all. A lot of fans as of late thinking its best to get a great deal for Darnold then tank for Lawrence. Shit is insane in jetsnation.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Tank for Trevor!! :p:p:p:p

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

at this point, yes.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Lawrence is supposed to be generational as a prospect. Lawrence is a better prospect than Darnold was as of right now.

Lawrence is a true Junior this year, and his track record is flawless.

MJK and REVISion like this.
  6. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I live in the state of Georgia I've seen two of his HS game on TV down here which didnt show me much but hard to tell when he’s facing other high school players.....He’s big 6’6 and has a good arm and can run ...Scouts think he’s the real deal ...They’re saying the best quarterback to come out since Andrew luck these quarterbacks you never know I still like our guy Sam a lot I stick with him....Sam would have to Really play poorly For us to consider Lawrence.....I think the Jets O-line Play will improve this season Then we can really evaluate Sam but I believe Sam is our guy

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Oh I’m not saying punt on Darnold. But as prospects, when Sam was coming out, Trevor Lawrence is better.

jetstopgun likes this.
  8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think if were in a position to draft Lawrence, we will. Let me explain, if we manage to draft number 1 or 2 overall, it would mean that Sam lost us games. Interceptions, fumbles, completion %....we have enough on defense and additions to Oline to be respectable and have no business drafting top 5.

Another scenario, we lose Sam again to injury, and the season bombs. IMO we would still draft Lawrence--you don't pass on a QB when your not sure you have a great one.

We can always trade one if we run into a Chargers situation.

9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I keep having this nightmare that the Patriots tank this year - they already have loads of players opting out - and take Lawrence as their Franchise QB for the next 15 years! Please god don't let it happen!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Yeah he is but I think the Jets have too much faith in Darnold so they are going to pass on Trevor

11. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

I doubt it, they have some talent on the team so it is not going to happen

12. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

If we are some how picking #1 and Darnold doesn’t look like an absolute basket case, I’d imagine we trade down for a Kings ransom. I’m sure Douglas would love a few extra firsts on top of what we already have.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we're picking number 1 next year, then odds are either Sam got hurt and missed time for the third straight year or he didn't progress as hoped.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Lawrence had the helium to his name since he entered college. He had a few off games last year but mostly, many pundits feel he's a can't miss prospect.

With that said, Darnold I still think is the goods.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m not so convinced that Lawrence is a better prospect than Darnold was entering his junior year.

Darnold was coming off that epic Rose Bowl game and was looked at as the best QB prospect since Luck at the time. Then had a somewhat disappointing junior year which caused the Browns to make the mistake of taking Baker over him, thankfully.

Lawrence has a much better supporting cast then Darnold ever had so the likelihood of him having a down junior year if there is a season is unlikely so maybe he will enter the draft process a better prospect, at least until he is fully dissected by the draft nerds.

Either way I’m not moving on from Darnold for anyone. If the Jets did end up with the top pick then trade it for a bounty of picks.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Lawrence has the better arm talent I feel, and a little better athleticism. I still love the other intangibles Darnold brings...like I feel like his short and intermediate accuracy is great, and he has a feel for the pocket and to make something out of nothing. I agree with your last sentence.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Different college offenses and different college Qb’s.

An argument can be made that Lawrence has never really been asked to carry that team. He’s played well but has has the luxury of a lot of talent around him. He had just two games where he threw for over 300 yards last year and in last two games against good college defenses he complete 54.5% and 48.6%...

Darnold on the other hand played with a terrible offensive line, young + undisciplined WR’s and carried / willed a bad USC team to 11 wins... throwing for over 300 yards 8 times in his final sophomore year. The kid made more mistakes but was asked to do so so much more vs Lawrence...

Not saying Lawrence couldn’t end up being better... but this is a grass is greener argument imo to have now...

No Qb would succeed with the team the Jets have assembled in Darnold’s first two years.

That’s the problem and drafting another Qb...
    Is like putting a band-aid on a missing limb. Even if it’s a better one, it’s not gonna help much.

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I take Darnold all day over Lawrence.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

How would that be possible?

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mono II, Covid, all O-linemen get Covid, .....? This is the JETS. Never rule out anything

NCJetsfan likes this.