CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Does it count as a year of service if they opt-out

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

350k if they had medical issue that makes them "high risk." 150k if they choose to for other reasons.

barfolomew and VegasMav like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This looks correct. Mosley keeps the bonus and gets 150k of what is now his 2021 base salary in advance. We get 5.85 mil in cap space.

barfolomew and VegasMav like this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m not 100% sure of cap ramifications, but as I understand it, his salary and prorated bonus would be removed from the cap, but his roster bonus would stay.

This means his 2020 cap hit should be $10mm instead of $17.5mm. This was probably a very smart move by him financially. He was only due a $6mm Salary. Not worth the risk for only $6mm when he is already financially established.

It hurts the team though. He would have been a key player.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he gets the keep the $10m roster bonus. Smart move, just milk this stupid franchise for every penny if you can.

6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Idk dude that 1 half of football against the bills says otherwise.

7. MaximusD163

I believe they are also pushing prorated bonus to next year. So including the 150k they should be getting back $7.35

8. Jedi mind tricks

This is a kick in the balls as a fan but can't argue some, if not most, of us wouldn't do the same in his position. :(
    Was so excited to get him back out there tho

Jake, blackssmagic, alleycat9 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Can they just use the money this year? I mean I'd rather have flexibility down the road just use what money they can now who cares

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Can't blame him.

This season is going to be a cluster fuck

Snatch Catch likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

CJM has won 0 games for the NYJ's. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Actually Macagnan was much worse than Idzik, at least Idzik was fiscally responsible.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Having this season is pointless. This isn't baseball where when half a team gets sick we have like 60 other games and can just postpone them. ONE single team gets shut down because a bunch of players get sick and this season is trashed.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  14. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I usually lurk because I don't really want to waste the time joining the pity parade that happens around here but I'll join in just this time. I was very excited to see him back and thought he would more than ease the blow from moving adams. With all that said I would have done the exact same thing if I was him. He gets a ton of cash and on paper this looks like another 'evaluation' year so we why risk getting sick and making his family sick over this? I heard people who recover from covid can possibly have lingering long term issues after making a 'full' recovery. Sports just should not be a priority no matter how the fans react.

He gets millions and can keep him and his family safer. I can't hate on anyone who prioritizes health and family over a game, even if it is our favorite game.

15. MaximusD163

Yes but people are not realizing the seriousness of the cap implications.

First of all, Mosley’s prorated bonus for 2020 and 2021 will both apply in 2021, so the rollover they get now from that is basically meaningless, although it’s only $1.5mm

People keeping saying the “cap floor” is $175mm, but in my opinion that also is the ceiling, it will not go higher than that based on the revenues the NFL will lose this year.

$175mm is a $35-45mm drop off compared to the expected cap for that year.

Every penny the Jets can rollover to next year should absolutely be rolled over.

Forget Clowney, Ngakoue, Logan Ryan, any of these guys. It’s gonna be a crapshoot season. Any additional signings would be like spraying perfume on a pile of pigshit. Pointless.

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I'm not even mad about it...his contract is reasonable after this year and this season is gonna be a cluster fuck and not fun anyway....another year for JD to build through the draft....see you in 2021.

jets_fan likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

There is a sliver lining. After doing more research, I went from thinking Russell Wilson has a 1% chance of opting out to about a 18% chance. Certain guys have a lot to lose financially, and his newborn gives him a moral out.

FJF likes this.
  18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that it was a bad contract. But in typical Jets fashion, we spend all that money and get little of reward that should have come along with it. At least he looked as though he was going to at least approach being worth the money in that first half against Buffalo.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

My first reaction upon seeing the thread title is it's some kind of sick April Fool's joke but it's August.

Then reality set in.

This dude has been mailing it in ever since he broke up that pass in the endzone against Buffalo in week 1.

Stupid frickin' Jets rather pay guys like this & Trumaine Johnson then trade away the ultimate Jets warrior Jamal Adams.

Whatever it is what it is.

I wish they'd start learning from past mistakes.

94Abraham likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

Also be aware: If I understand this correctly, Mosley will be a Jet in 2021 for an $8.85mm cap hit. It might actually benefit the team for him to take a year off.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.