BREAKING: Jets Trade Jamal Adams to Seattle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Aero, Jul 25, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

where are you getting 26 from?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. It wouldn't ever surprise me if they have a down 6-10 kind of year. But their roster this year isn't that unlike it's been the past couple years. Patch work offensive line, some good defensive backs and an All-Pro captain on each side of the ball.

Where Seattle might struggle a lot is in the pass rushing department with no Clowney and equally as important, no distinct home field advantage without crowd noise.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm having trouble following the logic of always trading down 20 spots just to save cap space. A 1st round pick has 4 years plus a 5th year option when he is making peanuts. Why should one be worried about how much he'll make in 5 years before he plays a single down in the NFL?!

4. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think it should be pigeonholed into always trading down 20 spots is the right move because it's scenario dependent.

However, there's something to be said about a teams like the Patriots and Seahawks (at least before this past two year fuck first round picks spending spree) where they identify that the best pure value in the draft is in the 2nd-4th range. I think that's based not only on the contract and team control situation, but also the fact that teams have a better chance to mold and develop players as it aligns with their scheme and team culture.

Knowing that the draft is a crap shoot (although the bust rate obviously goes up the further down you go), you want to give yourself as many chances to accumulate talent as you can before the talent to play in the NFL drops off a cliff sometime in the early to mid 5th. Belichick has drafted a ton of busts. But he always makes sure he has nearly the most chances.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And it varies from situation to situation

6. K'OB

Did you mean to quote me?

It seems a strange answer to the question I posed if you did lol

I just want to know why the guy thinks we will be getting the number 26 pick and then basing his entire argument on that number.

7. CotcheryFan

I'm all for trading down if the value isn't there or a team presents an offer that's too good to refuse. But, if an elite prospect is available at a position of need such as Ja'Marr Chase, it might make more sense to stand pat and take the sure thing especially since we have another 1st rounder which should be in the 20's based on how the Seahawks have played the last 8 years.

blackssmagic likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

Should've quoted the post you replied to, my bad.

K'OB likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm with you. But history tells you that there is no sure thing. I'm still perplexed at the fact that Lequon Treadwell is a journeyman at best in this league (isn't he unsigned?). I thought the dude was the next Brandon Marshall. It's tough.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Seattle and New England methods only work if you have a solid foundation in place. Those teams have stable front offices, top tier head coaches and franchise QBs. We don't have any of those things. If Douglas proves that he can build a contending roster made up of 2nd-4th round guys then I absolutely believe in this strategy for us. Until then we can't really take chances. Go with the safest players possible until further notice.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s not an always situation. It’s really not even a good comparison that sparked this conversation. Jamal Adams was going to cost a lot of cap to keep. Which is where the 6th pick came from. If you want to say you traded the 6th pick to get down to 27, and all you get is a 3rd and a future 1st in return, you also have to factor in the cap space saved by not extending Adams. It simply is value that cannot be excluded from the transaction.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree completely. It could have been avoided but wasn't. Just soooo tired of it.

egelband likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

Yes in week 14, but that has zero to do with the current noise

14. TonyFtLaud

Hit for tampering for what? Trade negotiations?

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

exactly. we got 3 years of top level safety play on a cheap deal, then turned around and got 2 1st rounders and a 3rd and lots of cap room for 2021 and beyond for the 6th overall pick and a 4th rounder. we really got the better end of it all. adams didn't want to be here it's that simple the fact we got so much for return is amazing

Ptflea2 likes this.
  16. If you want to build & maintain a team through the draft,it makes sense to prioritize a balance of quantity & value.

Not every draft pick is going to pan out. The only way to compensate for this is to throw numbers & competition at as many position groups as possible.

Its about identifying the sweet spot in the draft where talent, value & positional variety are at its peak,then acquire as many picks in this area as possible by means of trading down. Now you can have numbers & legit competition at a position group while in the process saving cap space & theoretically creating pipelines as well as depth

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. K'OB

I thought so, as that made more sense lol

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's officially official!

Both players passed their physicals. Jamal Adams will wear #27

What a relief this idiot is gone

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think you got it confused because of that dumb NFL 100 list, but he came in at #27 on that list. Pretty sure he will still wear #33 in Seattle. He is gone though, and that is what matters! :cool:

20. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

If Russel Wilson opts out, which is a consideration because his wife is pregnant, Seattle suddenly becomes very beatable.

If for whatever reason that pick becomes a top 15, this trade goes from a win to franchise altering.

Brook! and JetBlue like this.