Woody's in Trouble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AtlantaJet, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sometimes but not all the time

as someone else mentioned in this post it's not race, it's a class issue. as you said someone growing up in a lower class area is more likely to be murdered or to murder then someone growing up in a rich area or middle class area.

as far as hernandez goes maybe it was a bad example but he isn't the only one. sure mental problems contribute but a lot of it is how you are raised and your environment. seau didn't murder anyone he was a good dude. wasn't until way later in his career form all the head hits he snapped. hernandez was always a dick and a thug. the CTE just amplified it

2. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Football players in general because of CTE are bad examples all the time. There is no way to know when CTE set in and how badly. There are test but the only definitive answer is after death and an autopsy. Like I said a better example of lower income players making it big is the nba, or baseball and see how they handle it., while the teams are smaller teams are generally less likely then football players getting in trouble with the law.

It is a race issue because the lower class is mostly minorities. Until minorities get the same breaks, and the wealth of the nation balances out it will be race/class. By percentages most of the minorities make up the largest percentage of people living in poverty. The inverse should be true if everything is equal including race. White America being the largest population should have a larger percentage.

While the poverty rate for the population as a whole is 12.3% the rate varies greatly by race. Blacks have the highest poverty rate at 21.2% and Non-Hispanic whites the lowest at 8.7%. The Poverty rate for Blacks and Hispanics is more than double that of non-Hispanic Whites. U.S. Poverty Statistics ....That puts white America around 15% of the people living in poverty while White America makes up 72% of the population including white Hispanics, 60% when excluding Hispanics.
    These numbers would be balanced across all races, if race was not part of the issue

http://federalsafetynet.com/us-pove...tes. U.S. Poverty Statistics – Marital Status

3. GasedAndConfused

I get what your saying in regards to football players. And I understand that poverty his minorities more then it hits whites and a lot of that has to do with the way things were many years ago. But that doesn't mean it's that way anymore. people of any race have the ability to make something good out of their lives. They aren't shorted chances like their ancestors of the past. at this point they even have an advantage compared to a poor white person due to affirmative action, equal hire laws, etc. Not to mention look at how many millionare athletes came form poverty. They were able to get out of it due to being born big, fast, and strong. the majority of major sports athletes are non white. as of 2018 75% of the NFL is non white. 75% of the NBA is non white. as of 2017 47% of MLB players are non white.

Race was an issue in the past where it was tough to near impossible and if you go back further enough not even possible for non whites to get out of poverty. that has all changed. Now i know its tougher to get out of poverty then it is for someone who was born into middle class or money. There is no denying that, but anyone can get out. I myself am a non white who got out of poverty to be a middle class person. and I wasn't blessed physically to do it as an athlete either and I didn't get to go to college either. But I worked hard learned a trade started entry level and worked my way up to having a good job. I'm nobody special so if i can do it, most other people can. the problem is people feel entitled and don't want to work for anything. they want to have a nice comfy life for simply existing. it doesn't work like that. Hell you know they take scholarships away from white students to give to non white who are less deserving and the supreme court ruled it as legal. They have special scholarships for non whites plus non whites have access to all the scholarships the whites have as well.

again it all goes back to how you are raised. If your parents are teaching you to go to school, learn, learn a trade, work hard, etc you can work your way out of poverty. but instead people are taught to be thugs and do whatever you gotta do to get yours which leads to being stuck in poverty as well as high crime rates. or the parents are absent and they learn from poor influences.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Your "point". Let's discuss your "point". You're not only barking up the wrong tree, you can take your patronizing sandal wearing "point" and shove it.

The funniest thing about all of this is that of all of the depictions of Jesus in the world you picked one of the most popular, well known, and recognizable ones in modern history to the average person as an avatar to throw off target woke darts about racism. It's not only an absolutely horrible, shitty painting, but I'll have you know it's also one of the most popular, well known and RACIST white Jesus from Whitelandia depictions ever. Do you even know the history of that painting? LMAO, Mr. Soapbox Genius, your snobbery is a little counterintuitive, no?

Nobody forced me to write a check to the Jets every year just like nobody forced me to give up my tickets. You're not going to say if you own a PSL, why not? Because you made a choice that nobody forced you to make? You know nothing about me, nothing about my background, and nothing about how I was raised yet somehow you felt compelled need to straighten me out. "An issue that's bigger than life itself", political prisoner on a stick who died a cruel yet ordinary death, you street magician wannabe, again, FCK YOU, and again, I'll take my warning.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I pretty much stopped reading through this cesspool of a thread, but has anything concrete developed? Thanks.

Seeing as racism is the relevant subject here, I'm going to bring a little enlightenment to the masses. Johnny Sample, one of the first original angry black men of the AFL/NFL went through some horrible, horrible shit as a human being and a player as did everyone else who was black who was drafted or wound up on the SB III team. Namath isn't seen as a very bright bulb in many regards, but he kept that locker room together in an awful racial environment that seeped in from OUTSIDE the locker room. Super Bowl III was only 9 months out from the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. to put it in some perspective.

Namath would not and did not tolerate any nonsense, mediated tensions, and quelled a lot of anger on both sides of the divide. So there are no enemies on a leaky sinking boat as the saying goes, but Namath and Weeb, too, deserve some credit for being color blind when MOST people were not off the field and on it. Sample fucking hated the Colts with good reason because he had a very personal ax to grind. I'm glad the Jets won for the obvious reason, but so was Johnny Sample, lol.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

My woody's gotten me in trouble a few times....

barfolomew likes this.
  7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I like Chris a lot better than Woody. Woody seems to be a complete twerp. Chris although born with a silver spoon up his ass just like Woody, seems to be more confident, more able to relate to people, and more manly over all.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Welp this was a dud better luck next time.

9. rammagen

true and not true to say people are not shorted opportunities because they look or talk different is not correct, the same with the cycle of poverty. I understand what you are saying but until things like poverty ratio and educational opportunities balance out then it will always be there.
    Are things better yes, but when raised in a cycle of poverty opportunities are not there for the kids.
    good article from Business insider that illustrates my point about being equally represented across the board.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/us-systemic-racism-in-charts-graphs-data-2020-6

From your view things are what they are but from my view things are far from perfect and it is easy to say race does not make a difference. I dont know you and mean no disrespect, but I am 52 I remember all the riots from the 70s onward about race and equality, things changed for a bit then reverted back. You would have thought if things changed after Rodney King or Mcduffie in Overtown where a minority was beaten to death with a flash light by the police things would have changed for good but they did not.
    I have lived in the south, crap I have seen racism first hand up close. As a kid I grinned and bared it but after I joined the Army I started standing up to it defending myself and others. Maybe you have never been in that situation or maybe you have that also affects your point of view. That is the way you change behavior. The difference between then and now is that is has improved but until the closet racist, esp the bad police are identified and the behaviors/ideals are corrected this is a cycle that will continue.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Nah....it definately was. Have to agree with your thought process though....

NCJetsfan, BroadwayAaron and Noam like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I work in one of the most liberal church congregations you could find, and not one person is anti-police. Not. one.

No one is suggesting doing away with the police and allowing mob rule and crime to run rampant.

With regards to unarmed police killings, it IS a massive issue. No one should die at the hands of the police who isn't violently resisting arrest or attacking the police. It's an issue in general, and is an issue especially for those who have lost loved ones and for people of color. It's easy for a white person to say that it's not an issue, because it's not an issue for white people, but if one cares about others at all, and wants fair, just treatment for all, then it is an issue!

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read a report yesterday that when the report came out about Woody's racist comments, Chris Johnson called every single member of the Jets team and franchise, and spent time talking with them, telling them that was not who the Jets are and that all are valued and appreciated and will be treated fairly. He didn't have to do that. Kudos to him for doing that!

barfolomew likes this.
  13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

That's really cool of him to do.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

I'm not saying that pockets of racism don't exist and trust me I know it's harder to climb out of poverty and the frustration of poverty can make people do things out of character. My point was that there isn't any systemic racial oppression. all the laws favor the poor and minorities as far as hiring and scholarships and everything to give an opportunity. The idea that the system is responsible for people committing crimes is a joke. we all make our own choices

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The NJ Attorney General should sue Woody for stealing his fans money & not giving his fans anything in return for stealing there money :mad:

16. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, ultimately everybody is responsible for their actions. However, I think you are maybe underestimating the ongoing effects of the US history of systemic racism. So, for example, there may be no laws any more which discriminate against black people. However, this does not mean that black people have the same access to social networks to which they have historically been denied (my understanding is that a lot of deals/opportunities are discussed in country clubs and other "good old boy" networks in which minorities are still under-represented). That is, the ongoing effects of legal systemic racism are likely still ultimately resulting in an uneven playing field today. I suspect that these informal contacts/opportunities convey many more advantages than whatever advantages are provided by legal or other minority mandates.

NCJetsfan and rammagen like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

no it isn't anymore. not even close to the good old boys club. minorties are failing because the chain of their parents failing them and their parents etc etc. someone has to break the chain. yes poor people don't have the same "head start" in life as a rich or middle class person and yes more minorities are below then poverty line then non minorities but again that is a class issue not a race issue.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This is a hell of a post. All you passers-by should stop and appreciate.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and rammagen like this.
  19. rammagen

I agree with some of this but racism/system plays into when people are arrested and charged. I agree people make there own choices but when choices are limited either by poverty or racism there is an issue.

https://www.naacp.org/criminal-justice-fact-sheet/
    the fact that black people are incarcerated five times as frequently as white people does not mean black people commit five times as many crimes. Here's why: (1) If a black person and a white person each commit a crime, the black person is more likely to be arrested.
    or
    https://www.ussc.gov/research/research-reports/demographic-differences-sentencing
    or
    (The discrepancy could also be driven by overt racism, more frequent illegal searches of black people, or an increased willingness to let non-blacks off with a warning.) (2) When black people are arrested for a crime, they are convicted more often than white people arrested for the same crime.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-crime-rates-your-st_b_8078586

We can agree to disagree but they system whether you want to say by monetary standards or racism are rigged against people and these people happen to be minorities. not white poor people but black poor people and other minorities. If things are equal

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  20. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I generally found the cliche "It's not what you know it's who you know" to be pretty accurate in my work life, and I assume that more white people know/associate with other white people than black people. Also, my understanding is that predetermined social networks (as well as social attitudes) have historically made it difficult for blacks and women to have access to positions of power. Maybe you're right that these social networks have completely disintegrated. Certainly, blacks and women have made noticeable progress in advancing to positions of power. Is it totally an even playing field now? Maybe, but US women presidential candidates might disagree with you. In any case, I have no hard data at hand to question your assertion that "good old boy" networks no longer exist.

I think you're right that a big factor in minorities failing to succeed has to do with the parenting to which they were exposed. My question is: what are the roots of these parenting problems? Are blacks genetically predisposed to be bad parents? This is clearly absurd. So we look to environmental factors. I would argue that when we look into black family problems they seem related to the ongoing historical legacy of racism. For example, male slaves were often sold away from their wives and children, and this did not establish a tradition of family stability among blacks. Black men have traditionally been forced to take low-paying jobs that are inadequate in providing for a family, and it seems to me that this has also contributed to the men failing to stick around to support their children. Clearly, these factors related to historical racism have not been the only factors contributing to problems in the black family. And any specific person has to take responsibility for his actions. But I think to say that factors related to racism are completely irrelevant today is to bury your head in the sand.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.