BREAKING: Jets Trade Jamal Adams to Seattle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Aero, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I still find it amazing that people have come to this conclusion after one year with the cards he was dealt.

I completely understand he still has to prove himself, which I believe as well, but this "Gase sucks" thing is so ridiculous to me. A year we were projected to win 3 or 4 games, with our entire roster injured, we still won 7 games and Darnold had his best year in his NFL career.

2. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Worst roster, really? They have Mosley and Williamson back at LB. Q. Williams is going to be better. Maye and the kid they drafted at safety plus McDougald. The corner FA from the Colts is an upgrade. The corner they got in the fifth round is a steal. Poole off a good season. They majorly upgraded the OL. Darnold is a year older. Gore complimenting Bell isn’t bad. I wish they were stronger at WR but Herndon is back at TE. They even upgraded at punter. How’s this the worst roster in the league?

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We don’t have the worst roster in the league but the problem is we have a below average roster and a bad coach. We don’t have a Gregg Williams type on the offensive side of the ball that can take a bunch of misfits and turn them into a top half defense like he did last year. If we were talking about the Chiefs or Saints or Niners or even the Buccs or Cardinals staff I think we’d be just fine. But unfortunately...

hornblower likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Again, we'll go as far as our talent takes us. We don't have the kind of system in place yet where you can just plug in guys and things just roll along like nothing happened and still win.

rscherwin likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

Good coaches find ways to uNlock talent hence, why hiring a guy who hasn’t been able to figure it out for five years now was a completely brain dead decision.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The one thing hopefully in our favour or indeed Sam's is the upgrading of the OL, it will give us a whole lot more fire power on offence and with Williams in control of the D we will again be decent enough.

7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Adam's had to go, that was obvious. I can't believe Joe got the haul he did. That's a testament to a real pro at general manager.

However, it's going to be rough this week when NFL Network roles Adam's highlights as part of 2019 top 100 players. My guess he'll be somewhere around 20. That was our guy, "our dog".......but not anymore. Just another in a long line of Jets who we didn't/couldn't/wouldn't keep.

hornblower likes this.
  8. Cman68

Unfortunately, its a decision we're gonna have to live with for now. Nothing good comes from harping on it. Gase is the HC for 2020. If he's around for 2021, it will be up to his record. No playoff mandate doesn't carry over into a no improvement mandate. Gase has to show something good or at some point, CJ or Woody will have to make the decision since JD can't.

#248 Cman68, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Flores and Kingsbury become good HC's....

10. BroadwayAaron

Kingsbury showed more promise as an NFL head coach in one year with a rookie QB, bad OL and pedestrian skill position players than Gase has in five years. And of course he took one of Gase’s players and made him a stud on top of it.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It’s been almost 24 hours since we traded Jamal and my only thoughts are this:

When and where are we building the statue of Joe Douglas?

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Columbus circle can use a new statue. And while we're at it, Douglas circle?

Footballgod214, Brook! and NYJFOREVER like this.
  13. Cman68

Nothing changes in our world if that happens. The only concern is can Gase out coach his reputation or not. Can Gase get the most out of Darnold which was why he got hired in the first place. This situation is the reverse of the Ryan situation. Now we have an O-minded coach that couldn't care less about the defense or STs instead of the other way around. We already saw that movie once before and we know the ending.

Brook! likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Or as another poster suggested, re-create the scene from The Longest Yard and let Sam drill Adams in the nutsack on consective plays. LOL

Footballgod214 and LAJet like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The chips are stacked against both of them working out though. Flores is in the long line of Belichick disciples that haven't worked out (Crennell, Weis, Mangini, Patricia, McDaniels) besides O'Brien if you want to call him a 'good' coach (underachiever IMO) and Vrabel although he's a different case.

At the same time - I like Flores and his story and background. Hard working guy who went through scouting and analytics to become a coach.

Kingsbury isn't going to work out. He might flash a good season here but that gimmicky offense bullshit never works. I believe they were last in defensive TOP. You need a top 3-4 offense to combat that. And the nature of the offense makes it difficult to run the clock out.

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The 1st Round pick they got in the 2019 Draft was 24th overall, and the 1st Round pick they got in the 2020 Draft was 19th overall. The Seahawks picked 26th in 2020, so I doubt it would be super different.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It doesn't matter what the player gets as long as the Jets get what they need out of the deal. In this case we got lots of flexibility going into next season with the cap and several decent assets for the roster moving forward. What Adams gets out of this is not our concern any more.

For the record I don't think he is likely to get a huge deal out of Seattle. I think he is going to have to take a deal that saves face for him but that doesn't actually reward him much above what Eddie Jackson got. The cap is likely to shrink next year for the first time on record and the pie just isn't going to be as big as he thinks it is. Also, the franchise figure for the first year of his negotiations is unlikely to be anywhere near what he is looking for on an annual basis. He'll get that in 2022.

hornblower likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't really understand what Carroll and the Seahawks were thinking making this deal.

My best guess is that Carroll is in the early stages of retirement planning and he really wanted to win another ring before he steps down, likely around 2022 when the Adams saga is going to be blowing up in Seattle.

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Considering Russell Wilson's age, my immediate reaction would say Carroll isn't planning on going anywhere any time soon. I suppose it is possible though. He is not a young coach by any stretch.