Should The Jets Trade For Njoku?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 13, 2020.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'm aware of his #s, don't think he hit 50 yards, but that what he was talking. I'm sure that Rosenhaus will temper his expectations now that hes his agent

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We could have a roster rich and deep with TEs and RBs, and Gase would still line up in 11 personnel all game.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

There are literally Browns fans who think they can dump him on us in order to pay less for Jamal Adams.

In all seriousness if we had no tightend and were looking for more weapons for Sam, I would say a 4th or later would be a good dart throw. But we have Herndon and Griffin which is more than enough talent considering we have still many holes on this team. We would just be using Njoku as a slow receiver in this offense.

FJF likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If he doesn't want to be in a timeshare in Cleveland, I'm not sure why anyone thinks he'd want to come here to be in a timeshare.

Tight ends who can't block get exposed rather quickly. The Seahawks struggled pretty badly in 2017 with Jimmy Graham to run the ball to the tune of Russ being the teams leading rusher. When you have a tightend that can't block inline you have to take him off the field on early downs. When you do so, you telegraph your play calls.

You can't split them out in a run call because tightends in general (bad blockers or the more 'athletic' types as well) can't block in space. They're not fast enough and defensive backs run right around them. So it really only leaves them as an option to be on the field in obvious passing situations.

In short; they need to be willing bodied blockers. They don't need to be Anthony Becht but a guy like Travis Kelce is a good example. He plays with good leverage and can combo block.

Combo blocks allow the lineman behind you to double team and allow the interior blocker overtake the man being double teamed and the exterior blocker can move to the second level linebacker.

It's less confusing if you put the words to the diagram. Guard and tackle but same concept. And it's more difficult than this because there's a variety of play calls but still.

[​IMG]

Njoku is the type of guy to stand right up and let the end blow the running plays up every time.

BacktoQueens, twown and Dierking like this.
  5. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Well know Adams wans to leave. But to trade for Njoku? He could be a slot W.R. But anything is possible.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Herndon > Njoku

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Jamal . . .

[​IMG]

8. jetophile

But Randy Moss quit on the ball in the SB, so that's good. In fact, it was a thing of beauty. So yeah, if Njoku quits on the ball here as well as being a malcontent, I guess your point is well taken.

9. jetophile

I just remembered that David Njoku got concussed against the Jets last year. Next.

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Tight ends were Sam best friend last year. With sketchy receivers why not beef up the talent at TE.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

OK with that as long as no draft picks surrendered. If acquiring a TE, move one of our many many inside linebackers.

boozer32 likes this.