Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jul 8, 2020.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So who thinks he is worth a 1/2 billion dollars :mad:

nycarl likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If he makes a huge jump this year and continues progressing, he is due his money.

Although, I do not think any athlete on this fuckin planet is worth half a billion dollars, but that's besides the point.

3. championjets69

Sorry Falco IF is jut like coulda, woulda, shoulda = nothing :mad:

4. Falco21

I do not disagree, but you have to take a few things into account:

1. Mahomes is a once in a generation talent at QB. There will be many guys that will be great QBs in the league. Mahomes has HOF ability and he's only played 3 seasons.
    2. Some guys take a little longer to reach their greatest. Just because Mahomes did it in one year, does not mean Darnold can not become great next year or the year after.
    3. Mahomes is SURROUNDED by high quality weapons and a very good offensive line. He is on a very talented roster and in a very good system. I think if you give Darnold the same weapons and system, he could very well become an elite QB.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mahomes' $450M contract highlights the fact that Sam Darnold will never be Patrick Mahomes. Never be as good.

With Mahomes in the AFC it's like having the Patriots all over again. Brady was a roadblock to the POs. Mahomes will be a roadblock to the SB.

So what to do? If Sam can't out-score Mahomes on his own, do we just give up for the next decade? Or do we keep some of our focus on defense to slow Mahomes and give Sam a chance? I know when we burn high draft picks on D it burns ppl on here, but it may be our only road to the SB.

It worked for Rex with Sanchez against Manning and Brady in the same PO run. Worked for the Giants against Brady in their undefeated season. While it's always more fun to have the best QB and the highest octane offense, but if that's not possible, we better have a really good defense too or it's all for nothing.

Step 1) Lock up Jamal Adams

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

And here comes Champ to the plate. He's 0 for 1 so far spelling the QB's name correctly in the thread title. Here's the pitch...

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  7. Falco21

$505 million

I think this is entirely the wrong way to look at the Mahomes situation.

It is always advised to never accept anything but greatness, but comparing any QB to Mahomes is not fair to those QB's. Mahomes is not just a great or elite QB. He's an exception to the rule. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were the greatest QB's in the league during their prime years, but there were many great ones around them. Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, etc.

We may not get the same talent as Mahomes, in fact we likely won't, but that does not mean we will not have a great QB or one deserving of a large contract

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So quarterbacks are obviously the most valuable position on the field.

However in the grand scheme of things, it's not exactly common place for these quarterbacks receiving mega deals like this to get to the SB. They usually receive their pay day afterward making it or winning the big game.

Teams are better off trying to build a winning program and catch lightning in a bottle with a QB on their rookie contract also Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Roethlisberger (first one), Flacco, etc. Or if not rookie contract - their second deal when they're still 'underpaid.'

That's the worry with Darnold. He's proven to be good enough to get a second deal but nothing to be paid like a top end QB. This year is crucial for him and for the Jets purposes on evaluating what to do with him. That's why we drafted a QB as a longer term insurance possibility.

FJF likes this.
  9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Mahomes is a great player at the most important position but that is crazy money. Curious to see how the Chiefs will be able to afford to keep a good team around Mahomes. With the virus wrecking sports financially I can't see the salary cap going up anytime soon in any sport. As for Sam he is not in same league as Mahomes right now and might never be. If he can lead the Jets to a championship at some point then I won't care what contract the Jets give him. I want one Jets championship before I die.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. championjets69

What those spelling with it when U know what about Now that is taken care of answer the questionmAlso this forum is not English 101 at Harvard :mad:

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Sam asks for 500 million, he can go take a hike.

And unless we're getting a stud edge rusher or corner, offense needs to be the focus in the early rounds. Our skill position group has potential, but it is mostly unproven and I'm not sold on Smith or Doctson. This is why trading for Hopkins would've been a no brainer if the Texans would've accepted the same haul they got from the Cards.

12. championjets69

U R aware our geniuses pass on him in the draft:mad: Also if coulda woulda shoulda or mean zero in my book :mad:

#12 championjets69, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  13. championjets69

Lots ifs which =nothing try again :mad:

14. championjets69

How many years do U have in I am going on my 52nd yr:mad:

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I surrender.

Aero and Dierking like this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am aware. Many teams passed on him. Look at Brady as another example. He went in Rd 6. Hope Douglas can build a good team around Sam.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

7–1 when being pressured at or below league average. Keep him clean and he’s a star.

twown likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Obviously

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well if Mahomes got half a billion after winning one MVP & one SB MVP guess Darnold will get the full billion after winning two of each.

SOJAZ, Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Cant really call what Houston received a haul.
    They gave up the best reciever in the game, who has never been a distraction, and has 3 years remaining on his contract, no guaranteed money,on exchange for a broken down RB who was a salary dump, and a second rounder also swapping 4th round picks, but getting Houston's 2020 4th rounder for cards 2021 4th rounder was another win. Houston was absolutely fleeced.
    Any other team would have wanted a 2nd or third just to take Johnsons contract off their hands.

#20 TonyFtLaud, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020