Pre season cut in half...2 games only

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 1, 2020.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It’s been rumored and expected. It’s now official: The 2020 preseason will be trimmed from four games to two.

Specifically, Week One and Week Four have been scrapped. The league is expected to announce the move on Thursday.

The move was driven by two primary factors. First, teams who will be playing preseason games on the road won’t want to move that many people. Second, given that no teams had on-field practice sessions in the offseason, coaches would rather have the extra time to work with their teams, and that will happen if they don’t have to worry about two extra preseason games.

Already, the Week Four preseason game is worthless (or, more accurately, less worthless than the other preseason games). So it’s really only the loss of one preseason game. And the first preseason game doesn’t typically involve much work from starters, anyway.

Brook! likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think it’s more worthless. If it was less worthless it would have more worth .

This doesn’t help a jet team starting at least 3 and possibly 5 olinemen but it’s where the league is heading anyway. This makes it easier for the future.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

As much as I like to watch preseason to get a look at the new blood on the team....it's a good idea. Less injuries & more practice time.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Shit. The Giants retain the Snoopy Bowl for another season. The Jets trophy cabinet is bare.

stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

This pleases me. I hate watching preseason games on the edge of my seat worrying that one of our best players is going to get injured. Basically, I hate the entire preseason. Cutting it in half is better than nothing. Hopefully that doesn't happen to the regular season.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Is the Woody the Cheapskate going to refund one of those games seeing as only one will be played in the shared venue POS Palace? If the Jets FO says to put your credit to next year, demand your $ back. Make it even less convenient for them, you want a check. They take checks, they can issue one.

Playing at all with any fans present is highly speculative as it is. Get it all back, worry about it later. You need $ to go on the vacation you can't go on RIGHT NOW.

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

What's crazy is they are taking the games away from the guys who are trying to make the team, and to prevent injuries.

But by playing starters there is more chance of them getting Covid19 before they play regular season games. The Jets have lots of new faces and need all the live game practice they can get, especially the oline

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

NY and NJ share the same brain when it comes to stuff like this. De Blasio, Cuomo, and Murphy all copy one another.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Brook! likes this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

It makes sense to cancel preseason to be honest. Yes it will suck for players on the bubble but if that means less risk for regular season games so be it. Give me an NFL season and I am OK for everything.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Starting unit basically lost one drive? They typically play the first drive, maybe a couple of plays more in the first preseason games and none in the 4th. So no great loss there.

The only negative is the 7 quarters left after the starters get out of the first game means much less time for UDFA and lower draft picks to be evaluated in game conditions. Guessing some talent will slip through most teams a little more than in the past

Leicester Jet likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I doubt they even suit up this year. 2020 is a horrible year and its only July.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Spoke to several NFL GMs on a multitude of topics today - none believed camps would be opening "on time" as currently projected for veterans next weekend

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) July 17, 2020

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm not looking forward to this year highly restricted training camp followed by an abbreviated preseason. Not for a team like the Jets in desperate need of developing some serious chemistry together. It could very well be a preseason where most starters don't even see the field and many high potential rookies wont get the opportunity to highlight their skills. Training camp will be more crucial that ever and the CS better be on point.
    First game of the season will be a big ass dress rehearsal with playoff implications.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I can't see how they play a season. If a player test positive they have to quarantine, any one they were in contact has to quarantine. Will that mean every teammate who share a bus, a plane? What about the opposing team? Player test positive on Monday for instance, could have cought it from or passed it on to any player on that team.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The product the NFL has been putting out has been getting progressively worse because of the way training camp has been structured as dictated by the Player's Association. They think they 'win' the negotiations because they get less padded and contact practices. All it does is make the game worse. The tackling in the first 2-3 games is always horrible. Lots of shoulder injuries and lower body injuries associated with sharp cutting because players bodies aren't in football shape and they aren't ready to take an in-game hit.

If the owners were less greedy about money and guaranteed money, the players wouldn't care so much about trying to win with things like this. Neither side wants to protect the integrity of the game and want to work less for more.

But further to that, your point is 100% on point. Be prepared for miscommunications, missed assignments, and bad tackling/blocking for the first month+ of the season.

LAJet likes this.