Would you have made THE TRADE?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jul 5, 2020.

?

Trade?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's a pretty steep decline around 31-32 for receivers and it usually ends with one declining season and then the guy is shot. Some hang on a little bit longer there afterwards but are no longer dominant players. Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Torry Holt, Dez Bryant, Steve Largent, Keyshawn, Andre Prison, Vincent Jackson, Eric Moulds, Chad Johnson, etc.

Take a look at their age of steep decline. There are always exceptions too. Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Larry Fitz. It's just hard to last past that age in the NFL. The guys that do sometimes end up having a career like Isaac Bruce where they average 600-700 yards the last 3-4 years of their career.

But I do agree. He's 2-3 years away at the least. And he could be an exception to that rule given his play style, hands and catch radius. And he'd be so beneficial for our QB it's not even worth worrying about if he could've been had for a second and a fourth.

#41 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m not completely sure that’s true. Hopkins still has 3 years left on his contract and the new CBA makes it very hard for players in his situation to hold out. It’s not likely they would have had to pay him any time soon.

I suspect there was something a bit more personal to it than that.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

He and O'Brien didn't get along supposedly so I think you're right. But deeper than that, O'Brien has basically assumed control of that franchise after the GM was ousted a year and a half ago. He's been the acting GM and thought that trade was a Belichick style trade (my opinion - no facts behind it).

Only Belichick only makes traded when they're absolute heists or the player is really shot. He wouldn't trade an All-Pro in their prime, he'd trade them a year or two after it or let their contract run out and get the comp pick.

O'Brien's a dickweed whose been floundering that franchise in mediocrity compared to the talent they've had for too long. He should've been fired after that playoff debacle last year. It's mind blowing that he still has a job.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While some players can play well into their 30s and a handful into their 40s, players start slowing down and become more injury prone after 30. There are no guarantees that Hopkins will even want to play past 30, or even if he does that he will stay healthy and play at a high level. In fact the odds are against it.

#45 NCJetsfan, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how much I buy it. Even if it’s true, like I said, the CBA deters players from holding out once they’ve already reached a second contract. The dude could face fines in the multi-million range real quick if he actually held out, plus with 3 years remaining? Makes me think that little line In the article about how O’Brien thought he held too much sway in the locker room is more like 97% of the reason this happened.

K'OB and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Starting to slow down at 30/31 is very different than being done at 30/31 as you originally said. With Hopkins skill set there is no reason to believe he will just fall off a cliff once he starts to slow down.

A trade of Bell with a 2nd & 4th or a trade of Bell with Mims & Clark/Morgan is a no brainer for the Jets just as it was for Cards and would’ve been for 29 other teams.

Jonathan_Vilma and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hopkins is the type of reciever that will be good for a long time. His skillset does not revolve primarily around his speed/quickness, like say an Odell Beckham Jr. those guys have a greater tendency to "slow down" and be less effective in their 30s.

Hopkins greater strengths are his hands and catch radius. That leads itself well to age. He's not just running by people. Belichick said it best "even when he's covered, he's not covered." He will be good for a long time like Larry Fitzgerald.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. Under normal circumstances my answer is no due to his age &where the team is currently.

But we’re going on Sam’s 3rd yr w no legit playmakers around him.It’s unforgivable & extremely serious.At this point id force the issue w a guy like Hopkins cause the alternative is not giving Sam the help he needs.Sorry i dont trust them to address it next yr nor do i buy into the likes of Perriman,Smith or Doctson.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

He does have the Larry Fitz mold and the dude probably has the biggest hands in the NFL. It's all about if he can maintain enough quickness in and out of breaks.

But if the option was in front of me I wouldn't even think about how he's gonna be when he's 31. He's 28 now and would give Sam an elite safety net receiver to automatically look for.

11. NCJetsfan

He still could be done by 30. He may decide that he has had enough by then, or may suffer a serious injury. If I made such a trade, it would definitely be a short-term move solely to help ensure that Sam develops. It would not be viewed as a long-term answer at WR or part of sustainable success. I wouldn't count on getting anything from him past 30. If I did, it would be gravy.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Getting him would be about Sam a proven WR, so that it wouldn't put unfair pressure on a rookie like Mims to make an impact right away. Perriman may or may not have turned a corner. The sample size is too small to judge. I'm not counting on Smith or Doctson to be anything more than JAG's until they prove otherwise. Acquiring Nuk doesn't mean we couldn't have taken a WR in round 3 who could develop into a #1 by the time Hopkins hits his decline.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hopkins is Anquan Boldin with better physical gifts. Anquan hung around so long because of his great hands and ability to get open. Hopkins' skillset and body dictates that he'll be a star in this league well beyond 30. At minimum I don't think he'll start slowing down until he's 32.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

At this point we're still going to be in the market big time for a receiver next year anyways. Mims can end up being great and we still have no #2 receiver and a solid but unimpressive smurf holding down the slot with nothing else worthwhile at the back end of the depth chart. Perriman is on a one year deal.

I liked Douglas's draft. But I still think he should've found another receiver somewhere in round 4 or 5 at least. It was too deep to bypass.

Antonio Gandy-Golden was calling our name where we took Clark. Tyler Johnson when we took Bryce Hall. And I like both those picks.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think this offense will mainly thrive using 3 TE sets (Herndon, Griffin, Wesco - for blocking purposes). Darnold is best at throwing the TE. Not a good wide receiver corps, but I think they could be average.

16. NCJetsfan

I'd be willing to bet that if JD had traded for Hopkins, he would not have taken a WR in the draft. He obviously liked Davis and wanted an edge rusher as well. I agree with you regarding Perriman, Smith and Doctson. That's why I've been so upset that JD didn't take another WR in the draft. Hopefully, one will be cut that's been more reliable than what we have at the bottom of the depth chart, and JD will sign him.

17. NCJetsfan

I mentioned 3 TE sets the other day, but do you think that Gase will really do that? I may be mistaken, but I don't recall his using TEs a lot in the past, especially 2 or 3 on the field at the same time. I think it could be great if he did, just will be surprised if he actually does.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Griffin was being utilized pretty well before he got hurt and Gase had big plans for Herndon. Wesco was being used as a FB to help block late in the season, had a few catches, perhaps a better version of Eric Tomlinson. The play-action game specifically should benefit from having 3 TEs. Crowder is going to lead this team in catches, but I have a feeling Herndon might have the most yards out of anyone. 3 on certain packages, but 2 on the majority of plays.

Surely someone will bring up Mike Gesicki from the Fins, but first year TEs dont always contribute right away. Herndon had struggles catching the ball early on.

19. BroadwayAaron

As much as I think Douglas botched the wide receiver situation in the draft, this post is why I’m kind of OK with how it played out. We have enough weapons to make Sam’s life at the very least significantly better than it was last year. I won’t explain my biggest fear and probably what we should worry most about because that upsets a lot of people here.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

I have a pretty bad feeling that going with a mostly unimpressive backup QB over either of those two guys is going to be something we look back at and *facepalm* about in a few years.