Would you have made THE TRADE?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jul 5, 2020.

?

Trade?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That would be highway robbery.

Mims is currently an unknown commodity, while Hopkins is a perennial All-Pro at WR. Bell is getting cut after this season and Cameron Clark/James Morgan are throws at a dart board.

I would've made that trade before the draft and I'd make it now.

TonyFtLaud and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I voted No, but you made good points. Your WR's become Hopkins, Perriman and Crowder, which is pretty good. Lose some potential depth at OL, and you have Frank Gore with rookie Perine in the backfield.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Mims and Clark/Morgan are unknowns while Bell's best days are likely behind him. All for a top 5 WR who's in his prime and doesn't rely on speed to get separation. This is a no brainer yes for me. We still could've added a WR and OL in round 3.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why did the Texans trade him away?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They foolishly didn't want to pay him.

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

of course there could be many many other caveats. Maybe Houston needed Hopkins out of the AFC for example.

This scenario relies heavily on the concept Bell is a better and more desirable running back. I don’t know if the salary caps are as different as you say bc of the signing bonus which wouldn’t hit the Cardinals.

I’m not implying Douglas has the chance and declined, it’s simply a bit of closure on the fantasy.

7. K'OB

Right but foolishly they took over Johnson's 16m a year deal instead?

lol

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I really don't think anyone wants Bell period. If someone did he would've been off this roster. His 21 month hiatus really hurt him. He was a rhythm player that wasn't the fastest guy in the world to begin with. It's like a batter not hitting in a live game for almost two years and expecting to have their timing back.

His feet looked slow, he wasn't decisive and he played behind one of the worst lines in NFL history.

He's going to look much better next year behind a better line but he has literally zero net value right now.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If you had to choose between the two, are you picking DJ over Bell?

10. K'OB

Well, the best we can hope for is a season of good RB play from him, Gase has got to figure a way to use him as a pass-catching back better than last year, of course, Bell has got to return to a little bit of Steelers days form again, if not, then he has been a massive pup.

11. K'OB

Not much of a choice going off last season and the season before for DJ

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair point. I wasn't considering comparing him to Johnson. I wouldn't want either - they're both 28 year old runningbacks.

But admittedly that's a shitty way to answer your question. I think Johnson. They both had bad knee injuries and Johnson has 800 less touches of wear on his body.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I believe he finished 6th in receptions for runningbacks last year. He was used as a pass catching back he just wasn't very effective.

We should split him out some more for sure and move him around. With an improved line he won't be glued next to Sam as much as he was *hopefully*.

K'OB likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Matter of opinion, but mine is superior. LOL Just yanking your chain. I can understand your point of view, and it's valid. No one said that we had to agree. The OP asked each of us if we would make that trade. I wouldn't. I could be wrong and I could be right. I can see either way working for the Jets, and I can see both failing.

It doesn't mean anything to me that he's in his prime. IMO by the time the rest of the team is ready to seriously compete, he won't be in his prime any more, his play will start falling off, and the Jets would have holes because of the draft picks they traded away.

#34 NCJetsfan, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  15. NCJetsfan

And what would it be like in 2-3 years when the team is finally ready to compete, and he's done, and they have no young WR to replace him?

16. NCJetsfan

To begin with, as another poster has already stated, there's no way we would have gotten Hopkins for that trade. Secondly, he's a great WR today, but in 2-3 years when the Jets are ready to be serious contenders, he could be done and the Jets have no young WR to replace him, plus holes from the draft picks they used. Thirdly, who would have been the RBs this year, Gore and Perine? That would be hurting Sam as much as Hopkins would be helping.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

2-3 years? With that mentality, Sam will just be another Matthew Stafford in having a franchise that couldn't build a contender around him and watches him fight tooth and nail by himself to luck into some 9-7 seasons.

If Bell was moved in a deal for Hopkins in early March, there obviously would've been more plans put into finding a feature back OR adding another player and going into a committee mode. Maybe they sign Jordan Howard - 2 years/$9.75 million or Carlos Hyde - 1 year/$3 million. That would've worked fine with Gore and Perine.

If 2-3 years is our time frame, we'd have plenty of time to add another youthful receiver to the pipeline and relied less heavily on them than we will Mims, which can promote development.

If Hopkins is available for less than a first round pick, you make that move all day. That was the puzzling part about O'Briens trade. He deals him for a shitty package back and gives up other draft capital as the league year starts? He could've gotten more.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I guess you forget that Stafford had Calvin Johnson, an elite receiver in the NFL by all standards, for 7 years.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah and pretty much the worst running game, a sub-par offensive line and defense over that same timespan. You ever watch the Lions over the past decade with Calvin Johnson? Stafford was running for his life and hucking the ball up for grabs to the greatest jump ball receiver ever.

That furthers the point though. Johnson helped mold Stafford into a quality NFL quarterback because he was a legitimate NFL player (and HOFer). Sam hasn't even had that and he's had historically bad offensive line play and running game.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He’s 28, I have no idea why you think he’d be done at 30/31. I also have no idea why you think a replacement couldn’t be found within 2-3 years if he was in fact done at 30/31, which he wouldn’t be.