Patriots sign Cam Newton

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Jun 28, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He’s going to team that was built on completing passes and making the opposing defense stay on the field and make mistakes. Completion percentage is far from a joke.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cam Newton offenses have routinely led or been at the top of the league in time of possession

there are many ways to move the sticks, completing 5 yard passes over and over is just one way

#42 BrowningNagle, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

4. FJF

31 and breaking down. If they want to run him against our d line ,I’m ok with that.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

A lot changed. The QB isn't a guy who will sit in the pocket and throw the ball under 2.5 seconds with extreme precision. The OL is only viewed as being good because of TB12. Cam hasn't been healthy in 1.5 years, he was a battering ram for Carolina when he first entered the league and took a better. I don't think he can stay healthy.

The only thing this does for them is keep them out of the Tank for Trevor sweepstakes.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

But they throw a lot of short passes, especially to the backs. That will make his completion percentage a lot higher.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

my coffee came out my nose

8. FJF

We’ll see, I don’t think cam can process the information the way Tom did to make everything work. I think they’ll try to run him 9-10 times a game and he won’t hold up.

dawinner127 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You definitely could be right. It will be interesting to see. I like Cam, although less than I once did. I'd like for him to do well, but the Patriots to be mediocre and finish like 6-10 or 7-9.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well the offense isn't going to look the same under Brady. Cam doesn't have a quick enough release. But I think that line is better than you give it credit for.

Cam also has some scramble ability (although a better runner when it's a designed run) which can help to make up for the slower release.

For him to be effective he still needs to be a runner and a passer because he's never truly evolved into being able to take over games as solely a passer. But it's worked out pretty well for him and I suspect a full off-season with a great coaching staff will hammer the check down into his brain with Burkhead and White flanking him. He learned it in 2018 with McCaffrey but that was really his only legitimate receiving option that year.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Not the least bit surprising but due to the timing and salary and contract he got I'm surpised how many people are anointing him as a favorite for comeback player of the year and I even saw a mention of MVP.

I highly doubt Belichick named him the starter already.

It's late man it's practically July, a one year deal for the minimum that screams backup QB AND he has to fight for a roster spot.

How much are the Jets paying Flacco? It wouldn't surpise me if he's making more.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Newton and Flacco are very different. First, Newton was way better than Flacco, and second, we signed Flacco because we didn't have a veteran backup. The Patriots already had one in Brian Hoyer, so they signed Newton to at the very least compete for the starting job.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I was just reading this morning that the only other team that reached out to Newton was Cleveland.

He's not the same player he once was and 30 teams saw that

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The timing is strange.

It's practically July, Hoyer played for the Patriots before re-signing with them this offseason, the other guy the second year QB is in year two in that system so both those guys are way ahead of Newton in that regard.

I expected this move but back in March or April. I just don't see the Pats completely changing their offense this late to accommadate Newton.

If the season starts late due to covid19 I'll give Newton more of a chance but as of now it looks like he has a uphill battle just to make that team.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be shocked if Bellichick did this to block the noise from their punishment. The same time this was announced, it was announced that New England was fined a million dollars and lost their 3rd round draft pick for filming the Browns sideline

matt robinson 17 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

true but Newton made more money at Auburn then he's getting in this contract

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think the Pats are still invested in Stidham long term. The strange off-season and no OTA's probably played into it also. The price tag made him worth a shot. Lets face it, if healthy the guy has a lot of upside. I think that BB knows with Covid around the rosters will be expanded and you really may need to have 3 QB's that you aren't totally afraid to put on the field.

I don't necessarily think he'll be the player he was in 2015, but if healthy he can certaily help them. I really don't see a downside to this move.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great move for both sides. Low risk for the Patriots, and Cam gets a chance to succeed. I don't think it changes the Patriots very much though. Newton, Stidham, Hoyer, none are really great. Can they manage the game and win with defense? I think so, that is why the Patriots can realistically go (8-8) to (10-6) even without Brady and lack of weapons on the offense.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Force? Velocity? A question about the shoulder / throwing motion?

Remember this is Cam..not Issac Newton

Woodhead likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

Josh McDaniels' offense uses similar verbiage to Mike Shula's offensive system. Shula was Newton's offensive coordinator in Carolina from 2013-2017, when he had his most success in this league. :(:mad: