New Jets WR Josh Doctson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

NY Jets Optimistic Roster Breakdown: WR Josh Doctson

by Justin Fried21 hours ago Follow @JustinTFried
    [​IMG]

NY Jets (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images)

NY Jets’ wide receiver Josh Doctson will be given one final opportunity in 2020.
    The NY Jets will have an open competition at the wide receiver position this summer and one player who will have an opportunity to earn a roster spot is Josh Doctson.

The Jets signed Doctson this past February after the former first-round pick of the Washington Redskins had been out of work since he was released by the Minnesota Vikings last November. Now, he’s being given one final opportunity to salvage his NFL career.

It’s a career that once looked so promising as a first-round pick coming out of TCU back in 2016. Unfortunately, a nagging Achilles injury held him out for the entire preseason in his rookie season and he was limited to just two games in the regular season.

He would return to full health the following season playing in all 16 games, but he failed to live up to his first-round status. Doctson finished the season with just 35 catches for 502 yards but he did manage to score six touchdowns in the process.

That said, 35 catches over a 16-game span while filling a starting role is hardly impressive. And he failed to improve much the following season totaling 44 receptions for 532 yards while seeing his touchdown total drop to a lowly two.

The Redskins declined his fifth-year option and subsequently released Docston as part of final roster cuts in 2019 before his rookie deal had even expired — the ultimate sign of a first-round bust.

RELATED PRODUCT
    The Vikings gave him a shot soon after that but he was almost immediately placed on the injured reserve. Doctson was activated off the IR in mid-November and he would go on to play in just one game recording seven offensive snaps and no stats before being released once again.

Doctson failed in Washington and Minnesota, but how could he ensure that doesn’t happen in New York?

How Josh Doctson can find success with the NY Jets in 2020
    Doctson’s shortcomings with the Redskins and Vikings were caused primarily by two issues — injuries and inconsistencies. And when it boils down to it, that’s typically what ends most NFL players’ careers.

Doctson’s rookie season was rendered a wash following his Achilles injury and he never really had a chance in Minnesota for the same reason. For starters, Doctson must stay healthy with the Jets to actually have a chance at making the roster.

Another untimely injury could be the final nail in the coffin for Doctson’s career. Unfortunately, staying healthy is mostly out of his control.

That being said, it’s impossible to blame Doctson’s failures solely on his injuries. After all, he was given two years as a full-time starter with the Redskins that ultimately amounted to nothing.

They didn’t release him because he was injury-prone. He played in 31 of 32 possible games from 2017 to 2018 and did next to nothing to show the Redskins that he should be a part of the future.

So what went wrong?

Doctson was considered a raw, unpolished receiver coming out of TCU. He had the physical potential to be an excellent player in the NFL, but his route-running and consistency remained troublesome.

We saw those weaknesses manifest themselves in a big way in the pros. Doctson struggled to separate and despite his large frame, he wasn’t particularly effective in jump-ball situations.

The physicality he once showed at TCU was all but gone and his hands remained all too inconsistent. This isn’t to say that he didn’t flash — because he did. There were times in 2017 that Doctson looked like a star in the making.

But ultimately, those instances were few are far between. If he is to have any success with the Jets in 2020, those “flash” instances need to be much more commonplace.

He needs to win in more jump-ball situations and run more efficient routes. Doctson has the talent to be a quality NFL receiver, but his inconsistencies have been arguably his biggest obstacle to this point.

In a very thin Jets wide receiver corps, Doctson will be given every opportunity to succeed. Combine that with his first-round pedigree and he should have an ‘in’ to a roster spot if he flashes enough.

In a perfect optimistic world (because that’s the world we’re looking at here folks), Doctson impresses in the summer and earns a roster spot. He then plays well enough in limited opportunities to force the Jets to give him more offensive snaps as the year goes on.

And going into 2021, he’s managed to salvage his career and is now a regular fixture in the sets offense. It’s possible, but not probable.

Josh Doctson could save his career, but it will require him staying healthy and becoming a more consistent player. If those things happen, he could still manage a successful NFL career.

https://thejetpress.com/2020/06/28/ny-jets-optimistic-breakdown-josh-doctson/

nycarl, Sec124DieHard and boozer32 like this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I liked Docton in college. If they can half of what he did in college that would be a success.

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

cliffs:

Doctson sucks, but "in a perfect optimistic world," he suddenly becomes good.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

To be honest, Perriman's NFL stats aren't much better. You are hoping that at least one of them steps up and becomes accountable.

5. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Thanks for making this it's very own thread. Very interesting.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Can't wait till he learns how to run a pass pattern.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Perriman looked great to end the 2019 season though. It is realistic to expect him to succeed in 2020. Doctson, not so much, but it would be a huge boost to the offense if he finally does begin to contribute in the NFL.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If I was making roster decisions, I wouldn't let Doctson or Smith stop me from taking Chase, Smith, or Waddle in round 1 next year.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

That's sure be quite the improvement over his tenure in Washington. In the two seasons he actually played, he struggled heavily to get open and do anything.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sometimes a change of teams with new coaches, fans, and lockeroom can make all the difference. I remember when Brandon Marshal came here...he was supposed to be a basket case with bad dropsies. But here, he had his best year ever. Maybe Doctson will make a 180 and with Perriman and Mims set the NFL on fire!

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Perriman had promise with the Browns and stayed healthy. That’s why he signed with the Bucs for a better opportunity. He soon got it due to injuries and had a big time 5-6 games to end the season. So the tape is there for him moreso then Doctson, who really hasn’t produced much at all.

12. Loved Doctson coming out of college but hes never developed much as a route runner & cant stay healthy.

Hopefully Skill in other places like TE,Slot, & RB can compensate for whats lacking on the boundary.There’s size/speed & Some decent niche depth.Not much else until proven otherwise. Hopeful on Mims.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

So why do you think Doctson hasn't improved since he got healthy? Is it his work ethic? Does he just not work hard enough on becoming a better route runner? The article said that in college he was a physical WR but hasn't been since he's been in the NFL. Do you think he's just soft/too passive, afraid of getting hurt, or what? Could it be that he was bigger and faster than most of the DBs he faced in college, but now that the DBs are bigger and as fast as he is that he doesn't have the aggressiveness or strength to win? Even if he can beat NFL CBs with his speed, it looks like he could still use his size to win jump balls. He's 6'2". There aren't that many DBs that are 6' or over. So what is it with him. I don't think I've ever seen him play, and am trying to understand how he can fail so miserably with the talent he has.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Without doing research on him, usually it’s a combination of factors. My guess all of these played a roll:

1. Running a pattern is not the same as what people call “route running.” Route Running implies ability to setup DB’s with subtle differences in technique, and using different break styles, and timing. Most college WR’s can “run patterns” but for a number of reasons their “route running” does not get separation at the pro level. DB’s are better coached and better able to read/predict routes. DB’s are more athletic and stronger. DB’s play different coverages. The inability to transition and grow in their profession is why guys like Doctson don’t reach “physical potential.”

2. Reading defensive coverages and blitzes dictate which routes you should run. As a WR you will often line up knowing your route will look different depending on the coverage, and that you may be the hot route if a blitz is coming. If you are not accurately reading the defense or not doing a good job of remembering your routes, you will not be on the same page as your QB.

3. Being a high round pick is distraction central. All of a sudden you have some money. All of a sudden the whole country knows your name. All of a sudden everyone wants a piece of you. If you can’t focus on the more complicated offenses in the pros, you will not likely do well.

Generally a guy who flames out with 2 teams will not just suddenly turn it on. Perriman didn’t flame out twice, just once, and has been on a relatively steady growth pattern for a couple years now. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for Doctson.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm not holding out much, if any hope for Doctson. For his sake, for the team's sake, and all of our sakes, I wish he would finally develop and become a good #2 or #3 WR for the Jets, but I just don't see it happening. The Jets have two excellent WR coaches, however, so there is room for some hope. If they can't help him, I don't think anyone can.

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

There's been a number of articles of Doctson and Cager's chances of making the team. Can't say it's bring me a lot of faith in our WR core.

17. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

I wonder why DT wasn't resigned?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So much vitriol in here. There's nothing to be lost by giving somebody a shot, it's not like it's going to break the bank or anything. If I wish him luck and he does well then that's good for the Jets. Silly me.

The only problem I have with this guy is his name. Doctson. It's kind of hard to spit out where the syllables are. It's like when somebody gives me their phone number, and instead of doing it in rhythm - like normal people - they go bup bup....bup bup....bup bup bup bup....bup bup. Here, I'll do it this way. 91....74....7856....92. What?

#18 jetophile, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    K'OB and Footballgod214 like this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Lotta people who do film studies have been saying he dogged it last year. Gave up on routes and didn’t like to block. I haven’t watched all of his film but I’ve seen examples and he certainly was guilty of it at least some of the time.

jetophile likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I don't understand these guys. If that's true, kick him in his ass. Unless if it's just because at this point in his career he's just happy to bank a paycheck for extra cash. . . Hmm, in that case, perhaps I should re-think my position. Kick him in his ass.

K'OB likes this.