How would the 2020 Jets look WITHOUT Jamal Adams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jun 21, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Freudian slip?

The Dark Knight and Skicats like this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

His argument ignores the fact the Jets have had absolutely zero problem paying mega bucks to far lesser players during that 16-32.

Trumaine Johnson.

Leonard Williams $14.2 million last year he didn't even get a sack before they finally traded him away.

CJ Mosley my gawd he gave them three quarters then practically took the rest of 2019 off.

I can go on and on and on and oooon.

But now let's hold Jamal Adams to a different standard and blame him the rookie, second year player, third year player for that 16-32 now getting paid is all about the Ws. Now they're fiscally responsible.

Jamal Adams is Ray Lewis in a safeties body the dude is only 24 if the Jets are stupid enough to trade him to Dallas you watch how famous he'll become on 'Americas team'. He'll be in our faces all the time and for a very, very long time. They play the Giants twice every year, prime time games, playoffs, Super Bowls. Ugh!!!!

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And another thing I can't understand is WHERE did it come from that Jamal Adams is never happy or is hard to handle? That's news to me.

It's as if some people are trying to make him Revis. Revis I could understand he held out from day 1 his rookie year then held out every other year after that but Jamal Adams? This is the first time this is happening.

All this guy has done since day 1 is excel at his job and leave EVERYTHING he's got out on the football field.

Francesa compares him to Shockey & OBJ. When has Adams ever lost his cool the way OBJ did against Carolina? The guy is a consummate professional.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is the how the Jets will look WITHOUT Jamal Adams thread, not the Jamal Adams is a misunderstood class act, leader, hero, consummate professional and a true President thread. You can go make that if you want!
    The Jets don't have to trade him and they should not take a deal that is unfair, but they should be preparing to play the 2020 season without Jamal Adams. He may hold out and stay at home, or refuse to play, or be traded, but the odds are he will not be playing for the Jets in 2020. If things somehow change and work out, and he changes his tune, that would be wonderful, but the Jets need to prepare as if he will not.

5. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

My personal feeling is nobody will be playing in 2010 due to the pandemic. If that is the case, it will interesting to see what is done about contracts.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

As long as Gregg is calling the shot, the D won't miss a beat. It's not even like we didn't draft his replacement anyway. He won't be missed much.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

LW was still on his rookie deal so that money was owed to him unless they cut him (which thankfully they didnt).

But the others I agree, they got paid. Here's the thing though, Joe Douglas could still intend to give him his desired payday. Considering Jamal has had a full meltdown within the span of a week, I think dont any team would have responded positively to how Adams has acted. Not to mention they dont know what the cap is going to be in 2021 and Sam will need a contract after 2022 unless they franchise him.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We're still not talented enough for us to be sinking in that much money for a non premium position. I badly want us to be talented and we need players like Jamal to get better, but diverting that much resources into a safety will make it harder to improve in other areas.

I never thought 2020 would be a great year for us anyway with the schedule and Gase still here. Gase either needs to surprise or we can finally move on. Assuming we're picking top 10 again, I think JD has the potential to complete the roster in a way we no longer have major holes at certain positions. Once we have a decent baseline of talent, we can better entertain bringing superstars here.

CotcheryFan and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Great. Our best season this century, and you're erasing it. I hate this cancel culture BS.

10. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Me too.

twown likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

Yeah, due to Mac, the Jets have done everything backwards. Douglas has basically had to restart the rebuild, but at least he has a couple pieces to work with. I think the Jets can compete in 2020 without Jamal Adams, but obviously they won't be an elite team. I think picking Top 10 is not a guarantee. It could be somewhere around 12-20. Things go there way, they could be a playoff team. So much is up in the air right now to truly know though.

12. jago

jago Active Member

maybe he wants out before man mountain mekhi rolls over him like grant took richmond on first sweep in camp.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

:DCould be. Players like Becton, Mims, the new O-lineman, etc should be reasons why Jamal would be optimistic the Jets will improve. Unfortunately, his mind somehow thinks whatever happened in 2019,will happen in 2020. He is in for a rude awakening wherever he goes.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The only person the Jets could get from the Cowboys is Cee Dee Lamb. That would be where the talks should start. The rest of the team not impressed with. But the Niners have these 3 trade pieces.
    Three trade offers
    Jets get: Jaquiski Tartt, Dante Pettis, and a second-round pick.

49ers get: Adams

To me, the Jets have to say yes. They get Tartt, who is on the final year of his deal and carries a base salary of $4.3 million in 2020. The 49ers help themselves by saving $4.75 million by trading Tartt. New York also desperately needs receiver help. Sweetening the deal by adding Pettis to go along with a second-rounder would get a trade done in my eyes. I know the NFL isn’t as high on Pettis as some fans are as he hasn’t accomplished much. Where he was drafted doesn’t matter two years later. Production does.

Jets get: Solomon Thomas, Ahkello Witherspoon, a second-round pick

49ers get: Adams

New York just drafted a safety in the third round of the 2020 draft, so they don’t need a safety in return. Thomas is a salary dump for the 49ers and gives the Jets depth along the defensive line. New York has $25 million in cap space, so Thomas, for $4 million in 2020 won’t be a dealbreaker. That’d be a dream scenario I’d imagine for San Francisco, though.

I’m not budging on the second-rounder as Adams is one of the top players in the league. San Francisco won’t be the only team inquiring about Adams, so they’ll have to make an offer worth listening to. Dallas offered a first-round pick and their nickel corner earlier this offseason, and that was turned down. Ahkello would be the best cornerback on the Jets roster. Witherspoon would get to play in a system where he could flourish. New York is pretty evenly split between zone and man coverage, but they are aggressive at the line of scrimmage. The Jets starting cornerbacks if the season started today: Arthur Maulet and Pierre Desir. Witherspoon also costs pennies. His base salary is $2.3 million, which any team would pay for a starter. Witherspoon is young with plenty of upside still, and a fresh start could serve him well.

In this hypothetical, San Francisco saves $6.4 million in cap space by dealing Spoon and Solly. After acquiring Adams, they’d still come out ahead $2.9 million in cap space.

Jets get: Kwon Alexander, Tartt, Pettis, fourth-rounder

49ers get: Adams, Jets fifth-rounder

Okay, let’s get weird. The Jets were expecting a big season from C.J. Mosley, but he only played two games after injuring his groin and attempting to come back too soon. In May, Mosley said he still wasn’t 100%. Alexander is insurance for Mosley but also gives the Jets two high-quality linebackers. This is the final year that Kwon’s cap number is affordable, so a trade can work. The 49ers would have to eat $3.1 million in dead money, but they get out of a contract they’d likely want to after the season anyway. Kwon’s dead money won’t change if he’s released next offseason.

In this trade, the 49ers would wind up in the red by about a million after you exchange all of the cap hits. Dre Greenlaw showed enough promise as a rookie where you’d be comfortable moving on from Kwon—in this situation. Pettis, or one of the receivers not named Deebo/Aiyuk/Hurd, and Tartt, who is a really good football player, should all be enough for New York to pull the trigger on a deal if their hands are tied.

San Francisco is in a position where they can offer a deal they feel comfortable making. They don’t have to be the Cowboys and overpay. It’s also nice that the Niners could involve players that will shed some cap, which, in turn, will allow the team to extend players they were planing on.

Adams is worth a rental. He’s an All-Pro for a reason. Tartt is good; Adams is a star. I wouldn’t put it past the 49ers to figure out a way to get Adams extended once he’s in the building. Hypothetically, the choice would be Adams over Trent Williams, and you could draft a tackle next year and use that money to extend Adams, who is 25. There are many scenarios out there where a trade can work in the short and long-term. It all starts with a phone call: your move, John.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Dallas isn't trading CeeDee Lamb. Not happening. Especially not before he's ever played one NFL game. I liked Pettis a lot too after his rookie year but damn he really disappointed last year. Slid all the way down their depth chart. Had several really bad games early in the year before dropping into irrelevance on their roster.

The Niners aren't trading for Adams. I wish they would as they have so much trade capital but they're not going to entertain this.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

There’s not one similarity with any of those examples to Jamal Adams

17. boozer32

Nobody is getting him for free. Maccagnan isn't running the team anymore. If you want a pro bowl safety you got to pony up something. Dallas is dumb enough to give up Lamb. They got their own problems with Prescott and of course Elliot. Giving up late round draft picks won't get it done.

18. boozer32

Me personally I would let Adams sit for 2 years honor his contract. By then his value would be garbage and he'll be extremely rusty. He has no bargaining position/

19. Tony Pauline is reporting that if they were to trade Jamal to Dallas it’d be for La’el Collins

20. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

And...?