Josh Gordon Wants Back

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Greenday4537, Jun 19, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's post like this that explain how things actually work, that make reading and posting here so enjoyable. Thanks for that explanation!

egelband and Brook! like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We have a couple young guys who already have a misstep or two with the substance abuse policy, not sure Gordon is the right guy to bring in for that reason alone.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

Here is a question for you all:

If we signed one free agent receiver leading up to next season, who would you prefer?
    1 Josh Gordon
    2 Dez Bryant
    3 Antonio Brown
    4 Paul Richardson
    5 Demaryius Thomas
    6 Jarius Wright
    7 Tavon Austin
    8 Another (please name them)

Or none of the above, let’s go with who we have.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Gordon could stay out of trouble, he is the one I'd want, just uncertain whether he's worth the risk or if JD would want him with his character issues. I have zero interest in Bryant, Brown, Richardson or Austin. Demaryius Thomas would be better than the other bottom of the roster players we have, and Jarius Wright looks like he would be as well, but I don't know anything about him other than looking at his career stats on NFL.com

5. None of the above..but if i have to choose ill take Gordon.

Team needs long term pieces under age of 28 who will be here to grow w Sam.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd explain Josh Gordon again but it's gotten old.

Let's just say that he's self-destructive and there's no way we help ourselves or him by becoming part of his life's tragedy.

twown and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Gordon, then my backup would be Thomas.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Looking like the answer is "who ever is willing to come" at this point

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No reason to waste Sam's time developing chemistry on a player that could be cancerous and out in 4-5 games because of off the field conduct. I wouldn't be against a flyer on a lower tier player like Wright or my boy Lequan Treadwell if he's out there. No over the hill former premiere players like the ones at the top of the list. Too much baggage on all of them including Dez.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Receivers can play well into their late 30s so I don't think his age is a issue. I wouldn't say he's done.

Problem is I don't think this guy has the character to bounce back. Going by his past.

I think that the mentality that weed suspensions don't happen anymore so let's bring him in is wrong. Alcohol isn't illegal does that mean we should bring in a known alcoholic into my locker room?

This guy has a problem it's cost him a lot of money and good years off his NFL career. I'm all for giving people chances but I don't think this guy would be a feel good story IMO. Alex Smith would be a tremendous feel good story someone you want to see do well, root for. Not this guy.

If you're the Jets I guess why not? We haven't made the playoffs since 2010, the GM let the #1 WR walk and has left the cupboard close to bare after one of the best WR drafts in NFL history so they might be desperate enough who knows?

I don't think a guy like this can be trusted.

11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Treadwell is in ATL

12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

At this point I would bring in Gordon, Brown, and Bryant. See if you hit on one of them. If they screw up cut them. Likely one of them will stay healthy/and or clean for the full year. I mean shit, what do we have to lose?

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

As a fan base we're conditioned to clammer for any player with name recognition.

Those days are now behind us. JD will only bring in YOUNG, HUNGRY (and CHEAP) talent.

Near-30 yr old WRs who will not be around long to grow with Sam probably won't be on the roster. JD is building a stable, long term team, not going all in on winning a ring this year. Remember when Tanny would trade away all our draft picks for one or two has-beens trying to win it all? God I'm glad those days are gone.

K'OB, Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I would rather just wait for some camp cuts if we get THAT desperate.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

That was perhaps the best 2 year run in the last 50 years for this franchise. I am not glad those days are gone. Let’s not act like those moves were some absolute failure.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Big difference in the situations though. Making moves like that trying to find the final jigsaw pieces is one thing, but making moves like that when you aren't even sure if you've got the right box yet is totally different.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad they are. Tanny was an idiot. He is largely responsible for the lack of depth and holes we've had on the team since he left. He left the cupboard bare and neither Idzik nor Mac were capable of re-stocking it. JD is and he's doing it the right way. What he is building will far surpass what Tanny did.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I would bring him in. If the goal is to help Sam then that should be priority #1. I understand we couldn’t fix this team in a year but the clock is ticking on Sam’s contract. I am sick of waiting for next year.

I think that the locker room chemistry stuff is overrated. We have supposedly had a “good culture” for years and that hasn’t translated to wins. We haven’t had the talent plain and simple.

As for him stealing reps from younger players, I am not concerned about that either. There are so many roles for receivers these days where teams now consistently throw the ball to 3-4 receivers a game. Mims could still make an impact assuming he is healthy whether Gordon is here or not. Smith is injured and the rest need to earn their reps. If we were a good team that’s what they would have to do anyway.

This is all predicated the fact that it will not cost us much to get Gordon. I don’t know what his team status is but I wouldn’t give up picks for him other than maybe a 6th or 7th rounder and I wouldn’t give him any guaranteed money.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

stay AWAY from josh Gordon

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They've had 8 drafts and 3 different GMs since Mike Tannenbaum left!!!

It's absurd to continue blaming him for the lack of depth on this roster

88toon and Ptflea2 like this.