The next step in Sam's development

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jun 17, 2020.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This would be a great step forward in Sams development. Sam was given the OK to call his own play at the line of scrimmage in Washington. Results 34 points & Sam threw 4 TD passes.For instance, the following film breakdown showcases Darnold’s pre-snap freedom. In D.C. against the Washington Redskins, head coach Adam Gase allowed Darnold the freedom to change things at the line of scrimmage (something that was hit and miss during the season). Whether or not he changed the play, we don’t know. But the mere fact he changed the formation took advantage of Ryan Kerrigan playing a 7-technique.

#1 BudJet, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    twown likes this.
  2. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Fire Garbage Gase

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is truly the next step of Sam’s development.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nice play, but if you look downfield, Sam had a TD if he had thrown the ball deep.

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

For years I've listened to music while watching the game in slow-motion. But man, if network commentary sounded like that I would change my routine.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry your rosy post does not take into account the Gase factor :mad:

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Maybe. It would be a much harder throw. The Skins were playing one safety deep who likely could have made a play on Anderson. The play looks more open because the safety switched from Anderson to Crowder when Sam committed to throwing to Crowder. The deep throw would have been hard with Sam needing to stop, set his feet, slightly change direction and then throw while Anderson would be double teamed. Better IMO to to take the sure thing with a wide open Crowder.

#7 Noam, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ can any Jets related thread not turn into a Gase sucks thread?

Between the Gase sucks crowd and the red neck trump supporters this place is becoming brutal.

Darnold needs to trust what he sees enough to change plays when he sees fit and Gase needs to give him the freedom to do so.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

:mad: can any Jets related thread not turn into a Gase sucks thread?

Between the Gase sucks crowd and the red neck trump supporters this place is becoming brutal.

Darnold needs to trust what he sees enough to change plays when he sees fit and Gase needs to give him the freedom to do so.[/QUOTE]
    I think you have forgotten that this is a opinion forum so poster are giving there opinion of Gase :mad:

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

That's exactly what we are seeing.
    Posters praise the QB making the play, but not the coach who is teaching him. Sam's development doesn't happen in a vacuum.
    I was ready to kick Gase in the ass last year after the first few games, but then I saw enough to think he actually has a vision of what this offense needs to be and we started to see Sam take major strides forward. He's developing into the 'coach on the field' that Gase wants him to be. He's still young but the game is slowing down for him and that's a great sign.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

kerrigan is actually in a 5 technique. really more of a 6i in all honesty. definitely not a 7

#11 alleycat9, Jun 18, 2020
  12. NCJetsfan

Watch the play again. Anderson had his man beat by 5 yards. There's no safety in the league that could have made a play on Anderson. Is it a tougher throw? Undoubtedly, and Sam does struggle with deeper throws like that, but on that play Sam could have just thrown the ball up, led Richie and let Richie run under it. He has to develop the skill to make that throw. All QBs miss plays like that, but they can be the difference between winning and losing the game. Again, it was a great play to Crowder, but on the next play, the Jets could have fumbled the ball, Sam could have taken a strip-sack, thrown an interception, or a few plays later the Jets may have had to settle for a FG. If he hits Anderson with that pass, it's a sure TD. How many times have you seen Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Rothlisberger and others hit throws like that for TDs?

The other thing is that it looks like he had his mind made up before the ball was snapped where he was going with the throw. He didn't even look downfield. The defender on Anderson could have fallen down. It was a great play design or Sam's adjustment was great, and Crowder was wide open, but it doesn't bother you that Sam was locked onto Crowder the whole time?

#12 NCJetsfan, Jun 18, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

We'll see how it goes this season, but if Gase is teaching Sam to call the plays himself and/or giving him the freedom to change any play at the LOS, then I'm all for it. It will make Sam a better QB, and with the way Gase called plays last season, it should help the offense. Perhaps Gase's gifts (If he has any) are designing plays AND the ability to recognize that he isn't very good or at least widely inconsistent at calling plays beyond his initial opening script. Perhaps he knows that if Sam can develop a similar ability to Manning, then it gives the Jets the best chance to win and Gase the best chance to succeed.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think you have forgotten that this is a opinion forum so poster are giving there opinion of Gase :mad:[/QUOTE]

its about keeping in topic you old miserable douchebag,,,,,,and BroadwaySam, you have decent content to contribute but you just cant let one fucking thred go without th Gase routine. Youre starting to sound like a complete retard. Now you know.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

All I did was agree with someone else. But what do I know, I’m a retard.

K'OB likes this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

His first read was wide open. Not sure why he’d process to the deeper read, when he already is behind a terrible OL, as if he had time in the past to set and throw it. He likely did but again, that first read to Crowder was super open. With better protection and more awareness of the defense, maybe he would take the deeper shot as he progresses.

themorey likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

That's an excellent point! Thanks. My comment wasn't mean as criticism of him. I was just thinking in general terms, but behind that OL, you're right. Why risk looking for another receiver when the 1st one is that open? I do hope that this OL will prove to be a lot better, and he can have the luxury of taking a quick peak at other receivers to see if something better is available.

themorey likes this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Washington was getting double digits scored on them every week...Not much of a stat there..They were horrible

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, given how Sam obviously anticipated the play unfolding, but I want to see him actually looking deep more often right off the bat instead of as an afterthought. Of course this requires WRs that can run those patterns and be open more often than not. I do think the Jets have added some guys who can do that so I'm looking for Darnold to take advantage and I want to see less of the dink and dunk plays.

BudJet likes this.
  20. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

He recognised that a play was available if he switched, he did and he made the throw to the man he suspected was going to be free. For a year 2 QB - I'll take that and accept that Gase had given him both the freedom to make the call and had the play drilled into Sam so he could be confident in doing so.

Year 3 is, as many have noted, having the ability to not get 100% locked into what you expect/suspect will be there and taking half a beat to see if your Go/Post route is on.

BudJet and ColoradoContrails like this.