If Gase isn’t the answer, who would you like to see as the next HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is so spot on, I don’t see how it’s not obvious to everyone. The GM everyone loves loves the HC everyone hates.

It would take a total implosion for Gase not to come back for 2021, which is unlikely imo.

FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While I agree with you on investing in offensive players. I don't necessarily think the side a HC comes from determines the player he picks. Rather I think it is more important to have a HC that has evolved with the changes in the game, is able to be flexible and has a strategic mind. What worked 20 years ago does not work now. This is an offensive league and aggression is rewarded. Look at the teams in the playoffs and championship games last year it was all offense. Belichick was a great DC but has been an even better HC because he has adapted and he coaches smartly. I love how he went for on 4th and short when a lot of coaches would never do it. He has a very strategic logical mind when most HC flunk strategy and time management over and over. His team evolved from a defensive team his 1st championship into a record setting passing team. I cannot recall us ever having a smart HC with game management, risk taking and working the clock. In other words I want the best guy. the coach that is flexible and adaptable. What I like that G. Williams does not force his players to play his style of defense unlike Gase forcing a square peg into a round whole on the offensive side. Williams takes our strengths and works with them. He had no cbs capable of playing man to man last year and he switched to a zone scheme and even worked with Douglas this off-season to draft and bring in zone corners. Compare that to our offensive genius. He ran a 5 wide system with a poor OL. When the defense rushed 6 and got free rushes on the QB killing our QB to the extent he was basically unable to play what did Gase do? Not change a thing for 3 straight games and let our FQB get pummeled. When Gase got one of the best pass catching RBs in the league did he use that back to create mismatches splitting him out wide? Of course not. Gase was against the signing why would he use our star RB in a way that would help the team. In other words give me the flexible and adaptable guy every day over the offensive genius with the giant ego.

#22 Noam, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, the side a HC comes fron doesn't necessarily determine the player he picks/wants, or at least it doesn't have to, but that's mostly how it's worked out for the Jets. When push comes to shove, or things get tight, I think that human nature is to go with what you know.

I want the best guy, too, and one that is flexible and adaptable. If that's a former DC, so be it, as long as he knows that he needs a great passing attack and is just as aggressive on offense as he is on defense (and I like attacking defenses, not read and react), but most of all, I like a coordinator and HC that adjusts schemes to fit the personnel he has to work with.

I'm no fan of Gase, and he hardly used Montgomery, but I've seen other posters here claim that Gase couldn't split Bell out wide because he was having to help block to protect Sam. If true, that certainly makes sense, considering how awful the OL was.

Noam likes this.
  4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

5. Hard to predict who would be available.2 interesting names would be Jason Garrett & Deuce Staley.

A dark horse HC candidate: Brant Boyer. Hes been very impressive in his time here & seems to have a dynamic personality that may flourish as a HC

RochesterJet likes this.
  6. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

There’s an early wing around making Gregg Williams the next HC, especially if not doing so would cause him to leave

I guess it’s easier to find and hire a stellar OC from outside the org than it is to find and hire a stellar HC from outside the org

So I’m cool with that idea

I sure do miss the days of Parcells/Weis/Belichick — that was a really special trio

#26 Jerryjeudy, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  7. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

What you guys think about Greg Roman? I love how he took Lamar’s strengths and built from the ground up a whole offense around him. That shows how flexible and capable he is at adapting an offensive scheme around his QB; he did the same with Kaepernick when he took over Alex Smith in San Francisco back in 2012.

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't know right now.

I used to be passionate about Jim Harbaugh coming here but at this point in time I think he's been away from the NFL game for too long.

Perhaps Gary Kubiak? I remember hearing something about him coming back as a assistant somewhere.

But who knows about his health?

He's a proven winner, a offensive mind but he has to be up there in years and he has health risks.

9. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Gregg get it, but I would be pretty worried about the OC position.

10. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I'd like to see Eric Bieniemy, the Chiefs OC, to be the next Jets head coach (if/when we get rid off Gase).
    I listened to Rich Eisen show last week when he talked to Andy Reid, he was very complimentary for the guy. Made me convinced at least. I was actually a little surprised that he didn't get a head coaching job in last hiring cycle.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I honestly think if Gase doesn't work out, Williams will be offered the position.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gregg Williams becomes a bad ass head coach.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Williams hasn't been a full time HC since 2003. I have to believe there's a good reason for that.

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  13. GreenInTheBowl

Would you really stand behind that move? What makes you think that Williams would be a "bad ass head coach?" He's 61 years old and has been coaching in the league for 30+ years (already failed as a HC). He's as one dimensional and controversial as they come-- an above average DC with tremendous baggage already. Is this really the leader you'd like for the future of a young QB and this franchise as a whole?

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Gregg Williams would be an absolute trainwreck once the media turns on him, which is bound to happen at some point for any Jets HC. I love him as the DC but no thanks as HC.

Bienemy will probably be our HC by this point next season although he's going to have tons of offers after another year with Mahomes. And who knows if he'd even want the job.

I don't hate Adam Gase but I can't see how he'll be back unless we go 8-8 or better (which is not happening with the sked we have). Fans and media absolutely despise him, and Woody might be back to run the team next year and he didn't hire Gase. Godspeed Adam.

15. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Had a crazy dream that Belichick came back to coach the Jets in 2024

After a few disappointing seasons with the Pats, he wanted to end his coaching career in NY and thought he could win a SB with Darnold and a great defense

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is good shit man.

[​IMG]

FJF and PabloJa like this.
  17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

With the season fast-approaching, one team of NFL analysts decided to rank all of the league’s coaches.

While Bill Belichick is the unquestioned No. 1, there has to be a loser as well. That distinction went to New York Jets and former Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase.

Although the Jets finished the 2019 season strong, The Score made it clear that Gase is the lowest on the NFL coaching totem pole. His struggles to produce a potent – or at least competent – offense ensured his place on the list.

Asking Darnold to have a breakout year with Gase as HC-OC is like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. I truly would like the Gase, Darnold combo to be effective, but I also would hope if Gase doesn't produce, he's gone next year. I would love to see Sam's #'s when playing for a competent HC & OC.

#37 BudJet, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Eric Bieniemy in a minute over Crazy Eyes!!!!!

BudJet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Under normal circumstances, he wouldn't be my first choice, but the Jets could do a lot worse. In 2018, the Cleveland Browns were 2-5-1 when Williams took over as interim HC. They went 5-3 under Williams and based on what I've read, Baker Mayfield played better under Williams than he did under Williams' predecessor Hue Jackson, who had been an OC in the league. Without benefit of the whole offseason, mini-camps, OTA and TC, that's pretty impressive.

He's very organized, intense, puts players in a position to succeed, develops young player, adapts his scheme to fit the talent on hand, and is the perfect kind of HC for establishing the culture that Douglas wants to establish.

Noam and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think he would be great and so would Chris Petersen in Washington. Free those guys from recruiting and I think they would both be terrific at the NFL level.