If Gase isn’t the answer, who would you like to see as the next HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Many of us are not Gase believers

Over the last few months, we’ve focused on the draft, which is the single most important method to improve one’s team

The next most important method is coaching and the Head Coach sets the tone for the entire team

Finding an excellent QB in the draft and locating an excellent HC are both very difficult endeavors

I think Sam is the answer

However, I believe Gase is garbage and not capable of the type of consistency required to lead an NFL team to a title

I am open to any and all solutions to our HC problems, but would prefer an offensive-minded HC

Gregg Williams is a terrific DC, and I think his presence largely negates the need for a defensive-minded HC

Who are the up and coming college coaches who would make a good fit for Darnold and the Jets?

Are there any NFL offensive coordinators that you think would look good on our sidelines?

Or do you disagree and think a defensive mind would be a better fit as HC?

Would you like Gregg Williams to take over as HC and try to find a great OC instead?

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

My only fear of hiring a new HC is we will lose Williams as our DC.

Jedi mind tricks and boozer32 like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There used to be this guy here called DefenseWinsChampionships or something like that. I'd vote for him as next head coach if Gase gets fired.

PabloJa, TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  4. Gregg Williams.

He may have finally found a home here,the players love him & he can flat out coach.

Dont think he’d be another Rex/Bowles completely ignoring the offense & being too conservative.

Id like to keep most of the staff in tact which Williams could accomplish. The current staff on both sides is very good..it’s the Head coach that is questionable. Some re organizing rather than a complete overhaul might be the way to go.

Brook! likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

RochesterJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Greg Williams. He deserves another shot at HC. Get him an innovative OC and let him do his thing.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas accepted this job to have Adam Gase as his Head Coach and Sam Darnold as his Quarterback. He had plenty of other options if he waited until January. I think they have an internal plan that includes Gase for at least 3 years, unless the team melts down, which I don't expect it to do. I've said it before, but the team was (1-7) and did not fire Gase. They won't this year either.

boozer32, Pags2112 and FJF like this.
  8. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Agreed. Give him one more shot. This way the whole team doesn't need to learn a new defensive system. Yeah, it will suck for Sam though.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  9. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Gase has one more year 2020 to prove his worth. If no significant improvement is seen I say cut bait.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The question is what counts as good enough to prove his worth? (8-8)? (9-7)? A playoff birth? Tough to know.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'd try and get Jerry Jeudy. He did great at Alabama.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to that as long as he would hire a forward-thinking OC (not Dowell Loggains) to run the offense and not be conservative. If he agreed to that, who would you like to see hired as the OC?

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily buy into the idea that it matters much whether the HC is a defensive head coach or an offensive head coach. The most important skill as a HC is that he is a CEO and able to manage and hire other coaches. That he is able to motivate layers by example. Football is a game where each individual player is asked to put their body on the line and at risk for their fellow player. To do this players have to trust and buy into the team first mantra and be willing to sacrifice themselves. When you have a HC like Gase with questionable morals, who is out for themselves first and who will throw his players under the bus at any second it is very hard to ask players to sacrifice themselves for the team. The most important qualities in a HC IMO are honesty, someone who has the players back and whoplayers can respect and will listen too. Rhule was the guy I was really excited about in 2019. But I trust Joe D to do a professional search and bring in a quality guy unlike Gase. Hopefully the rumors (I think on a Nimbly podcast) of friction between Gase and Joe D last winter are true. It would be nice to see Gase gone at the end of this year. I would get behind G. Williams as HC. He has the experience and contacts to put together a great staff. The players love him and it would be a great redemption story to see him get another chance. He did a great job of turning the Browns around in 2018. I could also see him staying with a new coach. He was essentially hired as DC before Gase was brought in as his hiring was part of the deal the Jets offered Rhule.

#13 Noam, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Another vote here for DWC

If only we knew what happened to him...

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Eric Bieniemy w/ Gregg Williams as DC

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think it's way too early to start talking about another HC. I wasn't thrilled with the Gase signing but he got the job. To be fair he started off with a run of bad luck, however, he was able to put the Jets back on the winning path after a disastrous start, that's a feat in itself. He deserves a shot to put the team into the playoffs this year which must be the expectation, given the finish last year, the FA signings, the draft, and a year more experience for Sam. Remember, HC changes mean roster turnover, roster turnover usually means losing season(s) until players learn new system. I'm convinced the Jets will be a winner this season (if played,) so let's see how far Gase can take them before we start recruiting new HC's.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully, but strongly disagree with this. The #1 reason I think it matters is that very often drafts are heavily influenced by whether the HC was an offensive or defensive coach. If the HC was a DC or defensive position coach, most often, he will focus on D and lobby for players in the draft that can help his D. The same is true if the HC was an OC or offensive position coach (he will lobby for offensive players, and that will be his primary interest/focus). Until Gase was hired, all the Jets HCs have been defensive coaches since Kotite, and the overwhelming majority of the #1 picks as well as most of the draft picks have gone to the defense. A coincidence? Hardly. The GM and HC have to work together and be on the same page. If the GM ignores what the HC wants or doesn't give it to him often enough, a rift can develop.

The #2 reason is that defensive coaches too often think they can win with D and are too conservative on offense. Most of the Jets recent HCs have known little or nothing about offense, and it has showed. With the exception of a year here or there, the Jets have not had an NFL-level offense in a long time. This wouldn't be the case if the Jets had had some former OCs as their HC.

As for Williams, if he isn't too conservative, and is willing to be more aggressive on offense, I would have no problems with his becoming our new HC. I'd hate to lose him or see his attention to the D and developing young defensive players lessen, however.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I'm also rooting for this as an NFL purist growing up in the 90's and early 2000's, I love his brand of football. Fiery, demands effort, accountability, and the DYJ mentality.

His style meshes with only a certain type of player though and that could limit attracting skilled positions (CB,WR are usually prima donnas).

Him and Joe D may be a great fit though. If the Defense balls out this year and the offense cant get it going...he may be our head coach sooner than expected

BacktoQueens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

don't feed the trolls! HAHA

Footballgod214 likes this.