Welcome to the Jets Denzel Mims!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Mims has a high ceiling for where he was drafted due to his athletic ability

He is an explosive guy and very physical

An amazing blocker

The downside on him is that he’s got pretty stiff hips and isn’t very fluid, which is why he struggles to gain consistent separation even though his straight line speed is excellent

He is raw and unrefined, so good coaching will be paramount

In many ways, he is the polar opposite of a WR like Jeudy

I think he’ll be really good in the red zone on jump ball type throws

He won’t shy away from contact going over the middle, can break through arm tackles and has the speed to take it to the house

But he doesn't have the potential to catch 120 balls like Jeudy, he simply isn’t built that way and won’t be able to get open frequently enough to become that type of WR for Darnold

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You don't have to try anymore, you know.

NYJFOREVER, Mogriffjr, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well, Mims was generally slated to go about halfway between the 11th and the 48th, so not many Jets fans considered him a likely option. If he had gone where projected, it would have taken a trade down from 11 or up from 48 to get him. Turns out a trade down from 48 made it happen.

LAJet likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great point. This is the type of pick that more often than not when other teams select it, it becomes in our eyes an instant steal in the making. So may be this is our turn to be blessed with a second round steal for a change. Something tells me Hines Ward can really polish this kid up to be an all around top WR and a serious threat all over the field, not just a red zone demon like many think.

BudJet likes this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree....Sean Jefferson, WR coach, coached up his kid to be one of the best route runners in this year's draft...I feel he will do the same with Mims. Mims is not as bad a route runner as made out to be. Just because he wasn't asked to do that at Baylor, doesn't mean he can't. I have watched tape of him at senior bowl practices & he looked pretty good running routes. He's way ahead of Robby in that department. Robby took 4 years to get where he is & he still not a good route runner. I think Mims is a much more well rounded WR then Robby & I'm confident he will be our future #1 WR....I'm waiting for Mims to get a number so I can get his jersey, that's how strongly I feel about Mims potential.;)

#126 BudJet, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    FJF and LAJet like this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter