To all the older lifelong fans, who was your favorite players you loved to watch?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, May 26, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Mo Lewis was the New England Patriots favorite player too lol.

2. boozer32

Offense: Joe Willie and Wesley Walker
    Defense: Joe Kleco and Mark Gastineau

3. boozer32

I did like Matt Robinson. He made it exciting around here for a minute. Pennington also both couldn't stay healthy.

4. boozer32

Mehl was a great very underrated linebacker. Had great coverage skills just the injury bug got him. Jordan was a beast in the playoff against the Chargers. Special teams, I liked Brad Smith.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. boozer32

Nobody is mentioning Keyshawn Johnson. I liked him at USC and was glad the Jets took him. He had probably one of the best playoffs games in history against the Jags. Caught a TD, threw for a TD, ran for a TD, and caught an interception.
    Also, Vinny Testerverde needs to be on this list somewhere. He had a great resurrection with the Jets. Last time the Jets came close to sniffing the SB.

westiedog1 and tomdeb like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Also one of my favorites. absolute steal in round 7.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

A forgotten gem - he was HUGE. I remember John Madden commenting during a Jets game on CBS in regards to White and something about the bigger butt an OL has the better or something to that regard....LOL.

The Jets had a big mean bad ass OL in 1993. It isn't mentioned much since that team finished with a disappointing 8-8 record but a play here and there and that team easily could have won 12 or 13 games. Instead Coslet ended up being fired.....

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Al Toon body with Roberto Duran's hands.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Such a typical Jets project pick reach. You trade up to take a guy from Georgia Tech who caught a few dozen passes out of the triple option in the second round and just assume he can play in a conventional offense?

Ptflea2 likes this.
  10. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

Comn. I loved me some John Riggins. He was a manster running back, the team mvp in 1972 and 75.

I literally cried when he signed with the skins. Disgusting to let talent like his go over mere money.

Lam

westiedog1 and Biggs like this.
  11. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

I thank the football gods everyday that I was 11 years old during the 1968 season.

the radio was my friend back then.

Lam

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I was 11 also, probably the last SB for me

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

A bunch of good players mentioned.
    I'll throw out a couple of my favorites.
    Lil' Eddie Bell
    Santana Moss

mrjet80 likes this.
  14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Ok, Joe Namath without question. He put the Jets on the map.

Many people don't realize this, Joe Namath did not lose too many fights. As a rookie when he challenged any teammate that had a problem with him, chances are pretty good they found out pretty quickly that he was no wimpy QB.

The guy was definitely a rebel. He possibly ruined a Boston Bruins center named Derek Sanderson who could have been the greatest hockey player ever if it were not for the drinking and drugs. Hanging out with Joe could get you wasted.

I sometimes wonder how great he could have been if he could just get a good night's sleep.

15. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Leon Washington...

It just seemed like any time he touched the ball good things happened. He ran well, caught well, and returned really well.

He had the shiftiness that Jets are not used to seeing. I wanted Leon to start at RB for us. I was sold on him. But unfortunately the injury with the Jets was devastating for him and fans alike. It cost Leon $ and ended up the Seahwaks.

Jets had few offensive threats like Toon, Moss, Coles, even Rob Moore with Boomer.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Gerry Philbin told him put up or shut up

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I liked Derek Sanderson even though he was a Bruin precisely because he had long hair, the reason I became a Joe Namath fan. I think he was the only one in the NHL at the time who wore his hair long. I disagree that he would be the greatest player ever though. I remember him as a scrappy player and a good, but not great skater. I saw him play a few times at the Garden. He played on a very talented team which helped him in the same way it helped a lot of those Bruins. He eventually played for the Rangers, but was not as effective, but neither was Esposito. Nevertheless, by the time he was traded to the Rangers, a lot of players had long hair. By the way, a lot of athletes had great careers even though it was well known they drank and caroused. Joe, Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle to name a few.

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Mark Gastineau
    Rob Moore
    Adrian Murrell
    Curtis Martin
    Al Toon

19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

2009 and 2010 classify as sniffs.

mrjet80 likes this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I loved watching those teams. LOVED them. I always wonder how those seasons would have played out if Kris Jenkins had stayed healthy -- as good as those teams were, they were that much better when he was on the field.

That said, the 1998 team (and the 1999 team if Vinny had stayed healthy) would have taken their lunch money and probably their girlfriend.

boozer32, mrjet80 and Ptflea2 like this.