Is Jamal Adams on his way to being the best defender in football?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Jun 3, 2020.

?

Is Jamal Adams on his way to being the best defender in football?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

No contract talk. No trade talk. No position talk meaning no he's just a safety nonsense.

Do you think our Jamal Adams has the goods to one day soon be considered the best defender in football? Period.

I'm asking because a few days ago PFT put up the headline and in the article didn't even mention Jamal Adams which blew my mind.

I think he might be there already you could make a argument for some other guys but it's not very many.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...favorite-to-win-defensive-player-of-the-year/

Aaron Donald the betting favorite to win Defensive Player of the Year
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 2, 2020, 5:26 AM EDT

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the argument should be which defensive player has the most impact. I don't know enough about football or enough about NFL players to have an opinion, but I know that J. Adams has a tremendous impact on D.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

He is certainly up there but the best IDK. You have Aaron Donald, JJ Watt (when healthy), Khalil Mack, Von Miller as examples of some others who are in the conversation as well.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

maybe the best safety; never the best defensive player. And yes it's because of his position and even what the term safety implies

Aaron Donald, Mack, and I would argue Nick Bosa disrupt every single play or so it seems. And when they impact it's huge, e.g., take aways or rattling QBs so that subsequent plays are rushed or sloppy (QBs seeing ghosts, hearing foot steps, loss of confidence)

As much as I like Adams as a player he's not remotely close to that kind of impact.

If Mosley is healthy he'll have a bigger impact on this team, coordinating the D on the field. And though it seems like a pipe dream at the moment (for several reasons including our scheme), if Quinnen plays in the pros like he did in college he would have more of an impact than Adams

I think our best bet is that he can be a Star on a great defense akin to an Ed Reed, Palumolu (sp?), or E.Thomas. Sorry just my two cents

FJF likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He's not the greatest pass defender I've ever seen, however, safeties' job is to be a last stand in the backfield to prevent a TD. With Adams, and here's where he stands out, he has the ability to wreak havoc when he rushes the passer. Adams is uncanny in his ability to somehow get around blockers that outweigh him by 50-100 lbs. Yes, we've all seen safety blitzes but how many are as successful as we've seen from Adams last year? This makes him a unique talent and I hope the Jets management recognizes it. He's also very strong against the run. Coverage - Average, Against the run - Very good, Pass Rush - Outstanding. Like the saying goes, "two outta three ain't bad!"

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No. He won't be the best defensive player in the NFL.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Best defender, no. Best safety, yes.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He hasn't shown the ability to pick off enough balls to be the 'best defender.' It's very difficult for a safety to do but it's not impossible.

04' Ed Reed, and 08' Troy Polamalu come to mind. I'd say 09' Woodson but Revis was better.

FJF likes this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Best defender - Nope
    Best Safety - Maybe

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

6.5 sacks
    10 tackles for loss
    75 combined tackles
    1 interception (1 interception return for TD)
    7 passes defended
    2 forced fumbles
    1 fumble recovery (1 fumble recovery for TD)

It’s an interesting question, because while not 1 of these stats is dominant, it’s unusual to have this many in all of the categories.

Turnovers and sacks are the biggest impact plays, so to really be in the conversation for best overall defensive player, he would probably need to add more interceptions to that season’s worth of stats. Even if he didn’t lead the league, 4 picks plus all of that would be a different story.

While we all got to see what he could do on a defense missing players and with terrible corners, it’s hard to be considered the best without help around you. This year will be really fun to see him match up with guys like:
    -Travis Kelce
    -George Kittle
    -Mike Gesicki (x2)
    -Noah Fant
    -Darren Waller
    -Austin Hooper/David Njoku

Ptflea2 and Footballgod214 like this.
  11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i would say he can be the best safety in football this year if he continues on his course. the best player in football. thats tough. look at the best safeties ever in the game. ed reed, brian dawkins, ronnie lott and none of them were the best players in the league at any point. and its not about being the best player in the league, thats kind of a loaded thought process. being the best at creating havoc and taking away things from the other team is whats important troy polamalu was a great safety, never the best player in the league, probably not even one of the top 5 safeties all time but man he sure did wreak havoc and make that defense better than it would have been without him.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Forget the position for a second. The best defensive player is the player who derails the other teams offense the most. I don't know if there's a stat for "fucked up the play". There should be.

So we have to look at individual player stats and try and draw a conclusion. Arron Donald had twice as many sacks and twice as many tackles for a loss than Adams. But even with 12.5 sacks, that's less than one take down per entire game, so just how disruptive that is to the entire offensive game plan is up for discussion.

Take Revis. His stat sheet was nearly bare. Not b/c he sucked, but b/c he was so dominant opposing OCs and QBs would rarely throw to his side or to the WR he was covering. Revis fucked up the game plan simply by being on the field.

Stuff like that.

One 'stat' that will be undeniable is how much a team is willing to pay for Adams vs Donald, Mack, Bosa, etc. The better and more disruptive a player is, the more teams are willing to pay for his services. I know that's not perfect as every year salaries seem to go up but it will go a long way to shedding some light on how the rest of the NFL views him.

Let's see how much Adams hauls in or how much another team is willing to part with to get him. For example Chicago sent 2 first round picks plus a 3rd and a 6th for Kalil Mack. Is there a team willing to match that for Adams?

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

1. Yes

2. No
    Results are only viewable after voting.

Screw that.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Seriously. What is this? Communist Russia?

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I would not call Adams the best defender in the NFL, but has the talent and it is not out of the realm of possibility. Put him on a team with good CBS and a decent pass rush that would allow him to truly roam around the defense both in the box and deep at any time - he could wreck havoc,

If he stays with Jets and with god willing we win a SB or 2, he will be regarded with the likes of Lott and Reed.

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I wanted to encourage group participation.:)

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

yes absolutely. and it differs in types of defense that is being played. a 3 man front de has a much different job than a 4 man front de and is a very different player.

there are 2 things i think about when i think about safety that is changing the game. a guy who plays a HUGE role in the run game and you never really know where he is going to be, like a polamalu. or a guy who just dominates the middle of the field from endzone to endzone like ed reed did.

and yes i think that jamal adams could reach that potential. he is everywhere during the game, sacking qbs, making plays on passes. just everywhere.

and while stats are nice and outside defenders are nice the real dudes play in the middle. the nose guards, linebackers and safeties are the postions that the dudes play. were lucky to have him. and hopefully can lock him up long term without it breaking the bank.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

J$m$l is a great player, but he's a big crybaby. It may be worth it to trade him.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yes he can.

Simply put he can do it all on the field.

Rush the passer? Check
    Stuff the run? Check
    Cover TE’s, RB’s? Check

The only reason he doesn’t pick off More passes is more times then not he’s roving near the LOS...he’s rarely asked to drop back and play CF like Maye does. But this guy messes up a ton of plays by sheer effort. You can’t say he takes plays off. If the jets overall defense wasn’t so bad at rushing the passer and say covering TE’s in the past, he could be more of a threat in zone coverage. Having better players around him can give him the ability to focus and have less responsibility. Having a healthy Mosely and a dominant DL can have Jamal shoot more gaps but also play more in a zone responsibility more as a rover. I think the more you have Jamal have free reign to wreck, the better he is. I expect his impact will be more profound in another year of Gregg’s defense but also having better overall players all around him.

alleycat9 and westiedog1 like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Can we re-run this poll based upon Jamal's body of work in Seattle, including yesterday's game?

Once again, it looks like the team trading the "superstar" for high draft picks is coming out ahead. More proof of Branch Rickey's Rule "Addition by subtraction".

chandler likes this.