Depth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 29, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I can see someone quick beating him easy in short zone.

#21 J-Raw24, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

He wasn’t he was playing short zone, I know the difference.

He wouldn’t be playing man on a RB like a linebacker, he would have his eyes on the QB playing short zones. He’d break on the ball and use his size to block passing lanes. He’s slow for a CB, but he can make a play in space, it’s not like he’s a DT.

He also blitzes well.

FYI, the fastest man in history is 6’5” and has long strides.

Jackson gets burned deep, short to mid zone is where I’d want to play him, Tampa 2 style.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

NC. Great job. I’m very appreciative of your many contributions. We as fans don’t need nor have to see things the same way always but as Jet fans we respect and appreciate well thought out threads. This is one for sure. As for your question, I can not really provide an insightful knowledge of the URFA selections but from a shear gut perception here is my guess.
    First off, even in our darkest days of draft selections, we have always managed to get a jewel or two in URFA. I expect that to be the case even more now with JD.
    My gut tells me that Huff will be the biggest surprise. You know how often the term “ the steal of the draft “ is used? Well I think Huff might very well be “ the steal of the undrafted”
    He seems to have a massive motor and a real leadership and football smart edge about him, he is hungry, disciplined, quick to find the hole and at 250 lbs he might be a great option for GW to develop as a rush OLB. Many here feel he is not big enough but I beg to disagree. It ain’t about going after TE as much as going after the QB on 2nd and 3rd and long.
    It’s going to be a great preseason this year. It will make the final cut very, very difficult.

#23 LAJet, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Noam, blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, LA! That's high praise coming from you. I really appreciate it.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Great read NC! Thanks for posting these write ups. Hopefully a very exciting training camp/preseason coming up. I’m excited to see JD’s plan begin to take shape....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. mrjet80

I think Gregg Williams will find a place for Jackson. He will turn out to be a nice signing....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Excellent posts NC, keep 'em coming.

I agree many points you bring up, but mostly with our CB position. My thinking is, it's not necessarily quality of the individuals but as collective we are in a better place than last year. We have a couple of our own guys who have one season of experience of Greg Williams' defense and we added a couple young veterans who still has potential to be better under Williams. If we keep say five of them in the active roster, we could mix and match them according to their strengths and weaknesses and the situation we're in. And to think that almost all (don't remember the exact salaries) of them costs similar what we paid Johnson, who we all probably can agree was a bust, is a big positive.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

NC I have to chime in as well. Great Thread and great posts. But, these posts are just a small piece of a series of exceptional posts you have made all off season. I have really enjoyed your pre-draft and post-draft analysis and I am more knowledgeable thanks to your hard work. Thank you!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. mrjet80

A major Jets problem for years and years has been that the vast majority of their back ups, role players, second string - whatever label we use - have not belonged on an NFL roster. Period. Whatever position. JD is beginning to change this.....he’s creating competition and depth. That is the true foundation of a winner. Of course all know a good coaching staff, QB, etc. are necessities but depth in an injury filled league cannot be understated and JD understands that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great put. Our bench strength has been sub par for years and to a large extent a contributor to our overall poor performance. I blame this solely on our inability to draft talent and squander draft picks for ill advised trades.
    The need for back ups that are NFL ready, able to contribute on a moment notice is essential, more so now that ever. JD is beginning to build an infrastructure of players that give it 100%, lead by example and want to over achieve. In the past if we lost a key player the drop was huge, now he is steadily closing the gap. He is giving the CS sufficient depth to allow for a no kidding competition with battle ready back ups.
    We are beginning to build this team properly, from the ground up, with may be fewer stars but many, many more strong contributors. I'm very optimistic.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

You are most welcome. I am humbled by your kind words. Thanks!

12. NCJetsfan

Thanks! I appreciate it, and I definitely agree regarding our CB position. I'm the most excited about the Jets than I've been in a long, long time!

13. NCJetsfan

Thanks! Yes, I think TC, preseason and the season are going to be very exciting and fun. I can't wait!

14. NCJetsfan

I totally agree. That is one of the big things that has me so excited. We have more players who have high character, strong work ethics, who are athletic, fast, leaders, and skilled than we've had since Parcells was here.

LAJet likes this.
  15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Weakest position on the team is Head Coach. :(

16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Watch those clips of Huff are exciting. Good speed, very good play recognition. Was able to evade or shed blocks.

Only knock probably against him is the quality of his opponents. Not his fault, but the AAC isn't exactly the elite of college football. Going from the AAC to the NFL is a huge leap. OT's won't be so easy to beat off the edge.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I liked jackson a lot. i mocked him to the jets in the 6th round. getting him as an UDFA was a steal but it's going to be tough. we have a lot of CBs fighting for roster spots this offseason and it's going to be a short offseason with the covid stuff. he should at least land on the PS though.

Huff has a really good chance. we are weak at Edge. jenkins is on a 1 year deal and outside of him just 1 other rookie and a bunch of jags. Huff was smart to sign with the jets. his competition for a roster spot and playing time isn't much.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Credit Joe D for infusing a lot of talent into the roster in just 1 off-season. Between pro FA, draft and UDFA he has added a lot of talent. I'm really excited for the future!

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

AND he picked up players that no one likes to draft, like a punter and BUQB. JD's definitely looking out for ALL parts of the team! I share your enthusiasm.

themorey likes this.