To all the older lifelong fans, who was your favorite players you loved to watch?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, May 26, 2020.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I did say in the original post, "Note 1: I was too young at the time Don Maynard played to remember." I was only 2 when the Jets won the SB, so I wouldn't say I am real young by any means.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My favorite player was Don Maynard, which is why the autograph to my left is so valuable to me.

Other players who were big favorites were Gerry Philbin, Matt Snell, Freeman McNeil, and Joe Klecko. Watching Namath when he was healthy was absolutely amazing. But my favorite player to watch was probably Al Toon. Such an amazing talent, who could do absolutely anything on the field, forced out of the game years before his time.

matt robinson 17 and hornblower like this.
  3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Gasteneau was my favorite jet ever... too bad he was always scrutinized for his sack dances, that are common in today’s nfl. On every play, you watched for 99, most of the time he was wrecking havoc! For his time he was definitely one of the best. Hall of Fame worthy. Same with Klecko! Both should be in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jerricho Cotchery needs to get a lot more love from Jets fans. The only guy I've ever seen tear his groin in half, limp a couple of feet, then lay out for about ten yards to make a circus catch on third down to get the Jets field position in a tight overtime game against the perennially tough Browns squad. Dude was a fucking animal. Made some of the sickest catches in franchise history.

Peebag, Biggs, westiedog1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sack exchange

Gasteneau was my favorite jet ever... too bad he was always scrutinized for his sack dances, that are common in today’s nfl. On every play, you watched for 99, most of the time he was wrecking havoc! For his time he was definitely one of the best. Hall of Fame worthy. Same with Klecko! Both should be in!

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Freeman McNeil was my favorite back to watch, slashing quick cuts.
    Wesley Walker favorite receiver - great deep threat

On Defense - Joe Klecko without a doubt.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

oh man.... im going to forget 4 guys i just know i am and then im going to read their namesin other possts and have to come back and edit this. but then i can fix the poor typing mistakes too.

freeman mcneil - he was really the reason i became a jets fan he was just a great back

i have jonny lam jones stuck in my head and its making it impossible for me to remember the wr i want to put here...

wesley walker, there it is - electric some of the catches he made were legendary and to do it while being blind in one eye

curtis martin - he is probably my favorite person to talk about from football. his story is phenomenal and he was just a work horse

james hasty - i really liked the number 40 on a defensive back. he continued to be a great player after the jets too

rob moore - another in the wish we could have kept him group. good not great wr but best player on the team at that time.

victor green - probably my favorite defensive player. coming up and making hits all the time. a real football player.

keyshawn johnson - The man was never given credit by jets fans for how great of a blocker he was. he was ostercized by the entire fanbase because he was much much better of a player than wayne chrebet, he just wasnt as beloved, which i always thought was bullshit.

darrelle revis - one of the best corners the game has ever seen. great in coverage, great coming up to support the run before his injury. i say he and martin are neck and neck for the best jets ever after namath whom i never saw play. hated the way everyone talked shit about him after he held out and the lack of love there was.

i can give you guys i couldnt stand too.
    mark sanchez just fucking horrible
    jason taylor. hated that move.
    johnny hector, it wasnt so much him. it was that he was taking carries away from and replacing freeman mcneil
    wayne chrebet, i dont so much dislike wayne i dislike all of the ball licking the fanbase does because he was a good short white guy receiver. it still sickens me
    herm edwards, he was a lie on wheels. never took responsibility. i think with a better coach his teams could have competed for deep playoff runs. i like herm much more now. alot of great sound bites.
    rex ryan - too brash and too much of a loudmouth. i wanted to like him but it was like a clown show with him. he did a pretty good job though.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. Sack exchange

Moore had a really good career, in 11 seasons, Rob Moore registered 628 receptions for 9,368 yards and 49 touchdowns. In the 1997 season Moore caught 97 receptions for 1,584 yards and 8 touchdowns and en route to an All-Pro selection. Of course he wasn’t on jets then. . Always wonder why jets don’t have any alum on coaching staff, Moore is we coach for titans, Glenn in coaching, and others but none ever coach the jets.

9. Sack exchange

Moore had a really good career, in 11 seasons, Rob Moore registered 628 receptions for 9,368 yards and 49 touchdowns. In the 1997 season Moore caught 97 receptions for 1,584 yards and 8 touchdowns and en route to an All-Pro selection. Of course he wasn’t on jets then. . Always wonder why jets don’t have any alum on coaching staff, Moore is wr coach for titans, Glenn in coaching, and others but none ever coach the jets.

10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Gastineau
    klecko
    Toon

Not in any order

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Freeman McNeil is my all time favorite Jet. In fact, my dog is named after him.
    Also loved Braylon Edwards when he was here.
    How is Revis getting no love on this thread? He was probably the best pick we've made in the past 20 years.

#51 truthbtold, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    westiedog1 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Used to love the 4 headed running backs we had in the middle/later 70's, Clark Gaines, Scott Dierking, Kevin Long and Bruce Harper

Dierking likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

Freeman was the best RB we ever had in my opinion, injuries kept him from the Hall of Fame

14. matt robinson 17

Great one-two punch we had with Freeman and Johnny Hector

15. matt robinson 17

Freeman was a TD waiting to happen on every play, Saquon Barkley reminds me of him

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Lance Mehl
    Kyle Clifton
    Freeman McNeill
    Bruce Harper
    Mickey Shuler
    Wesley Walker
    Scott Dierking (2 yards and a cloud of infield dirt)
    Al Toon
    Aaron Glenn

alleycat9 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

WTF does this even mean?

I hate these reverse racism style posts, to infer people liked him because he was white is actually disgraceful, I am sure there are plenty of 'White' people on here that have named black players as their favourite player.

"It sickens you"?

Fucking hell, man. o_O

Ptflea2 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its true though. so go ahead and be mad mr ballwasher

19. DRevisIsland24

DRevisIsland24 New Member

boomer esiason

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But what is true?

I bet the guy that wore the 80 wasn't as good as the next man to wear it, oh wait.

A guy that gave us 10+ years as an undrafted free agent, an undrafted free agent that ended up in our hall of fame with 580 receptions ranking him 2nd and his 7,365 yards from scrimmage place him 5th all-time in the New York Jets record books.

But people like him only because he was a short white dude.

I hate your thought process and people like you are just as bad as the racists you despise.

There is no skin colour, just Jets players, I may 'wash balls' but your post makes you come across like a cocksucker.

Have a nice evening, I have said enough on the subject but you need to have a hard think about this bizarre reverse racism or things will never change for you and yours, unfortunately.

Such a shame really.

#60 K'OB, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020