To all the older lifelong fans, who was your favorite players you loved to watch?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, May 26, 2020.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Namath was terrific. The rules were different then. With today's rules he would be the best ever. Joe Klecko was fun to watch as was Don Maynard. Verlon Biggs and Jerry Philbin really showed up every week. Wes Walker and Al Toon were great receivers and Emerson Boozer and Matt Snell blocked and ran hard when the game was about following the line. A nod to John Schmitt #52 with the towel for Joe's to wipe his hands before a play.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I swear to fucking god if I were king this would not only be a bannable offense but you’d get the death penalty.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

You didn't like Wes Walker?

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

John Riggins

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

1. Chad Pennington- By far, my favorite Jet. He just electrified the team when he entered the starting line-up in 2002. That was such a fun season after a tough start. Injuries derailed his career, but if he stayed healthy, I think he could have potentially been a Hall of Fame QB. He was the second smartest QB I ever saw play, second to only Peyton Manning.

2. Wayne Chrebet- @JetsFan had him at #1 for a reason. Tough as it gets with as much heart as any player I have ever seen. The fans did and still do love Wayne.

3. Nick Mangold- Great guy. Great Center. Enough said!

4. Boomer Esiason- Fans may disagree, but he was my favorite because he was the first Jets QB I can remember. I tried to have my hair long in the back just like him. He's a good guy too.

5. THE HITMAN David Harris- Underrated linebacker for the Jets. He was tough as nails too.

6. Curtis Martin- We all know him. :)

7. Vinny Testaverde- When he became the starter everything changed and the Jets became as elite as I have ever seen them in 1998. If he stayed healthy in 1999, the Jets may very well have won the Super Bowl.

8. Laveranues Coles- Great WR for the Jets. He always seemed to make the big catch at the right time. I think he is still underrated.

9. Mo Lewis- Great linebacker and leader of the Jets defense, but sadly is remembered for starting the Brady era.

10. Mark Sanchez- I don't care what anyone says. He won 4 playoff games. Went to 2 AFC Championship Games. Threw an 80 yard TD in an AFC Championship Game, and beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady back to back on the road in the playoffs. He stepped up when it mattered most. I am not sure if he would have had a great career, but I do know the Jets did him no favors in his final couple seasons with the team.

Sam Darnold will likely join the list shortly. :cool:

westiedog1 and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hopefully when U discuss Darnold U R taking into Account the Gase factor. :mad:

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Joe Klecko
    Freeman McNeil
    Lance Mehl
    Al Toon
    Mickey Shuler

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

You can come close to knowing someone's age by the players they name and how they talk about them in reverence.

There are a lot of players I loved like Pennington, who when we drafted, I jumped up and both my hands went into my ceiling fan which was running. Almost brought it and my ceiling down.

I loved Al Toon and Mickey Shuler too. For a while Shuler was easily one of my top five, just as Victor green the tackling machine was, but when I narrow down to my top five favorites and their contributions to the Jets, it's easy to see why they are there.

10. jago

jago Active Member

Joe Willie winging it in the shea wind. and the sack exchange.
    this being a jets forum, i will tell you the worst of course. which was when they’d walk in tebow from the sideline like it was some kind of secret master plan that 90000 people didn’t see coming.

hornblower likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Gasteneau and Klecko
    Walker, Toon, and McNeil
    Rob Moore
    Richie Anderson
    Chebet, Coles, and Moss together
    Todd and O’Brien, there were few exciting games
    Pennington when healthy
    Woodhead before they cut him,
    Abraham
    Johnny Johnson for a year

12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Couple more, Bruce Harper and Brad Smith on kick returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Emerson Boozer, Namath, Don Maynard, George Sauer, Rich Caster, Gee Barkum, Mickey Shuler, Joe Klecko, Lance Mehl, Kyle Clifton, Vinny Testeverde, Wayne Chrebet, Freeman McNeil, Johnny Hector, Wesley walker, Al Toon, Matt Robinson, Bake Turner

hornblower and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

1. Ken O'Brien. As the recent chat said. Very decisive. But the offence at the time was exciting and it was what got me into watching the Jets in the 80's. If not for him I might have been a Gints fan.

2. Wayne Chrebet. His overall play, the fact he was undrafted, his toughness and he made some catches I thought were un-catchable. Just loved him as a Jets player.

3. Mark Gastineau. Who does not love a Defensive destroyer. Him along with the rest of the Sack exchange.

4. Aaron Glenn. Just loved his overall play. I have a real soft spot for safeties that can change the game. As in how much enjoy Adams as a player now.

5. Pennington. Damn. I just felt we had a our QB for years then. He had some great games. But his body let him down in the end. Other than the short burst from Vinny he was our best QB since Joe.

6. Curtis Martin. Just a great guy, great Running back, always there in every game. Gave his heart for the team. And all around amazing guy and player.

7. Kevin Mawae & Nick Mangold. Two amazing Centers. We have been blessed to have Mawae who in my mind changed the Center position. And then to get Mangold who was just as good.

8. Snacks. Gutted we let him go. Should have kept him.

15. championjets69

U must B real young cause U do not mention anybody from the world champions 68 teams all the players u mention R all losers since they won nothing :mad:

16. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

never was one to have favorites on a team. always rooted for the team not individuals, for good or bad (a lot of bad).

17. championjets69

Who scored the only running TD in SB 3 for the NYJs

Who was used as a decoy in SB3 for the NYJs

Who was JWN favorite receiver inn SB3:)

18. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Some of the guys I loved over the years were ...

1. Al Toon
    2. Lance Mehl
    3. Victor Green
    4. Mickey Shuler
    5. Erik McMillan
    6. Wayne Chrebet
    7. Richie Anderson
    8. Brad Baxter
    9. Kenny O'Brien
    10. Kris Jenkins

19. donkey