To all the older lifelong fans, who was your favorite players you loved to watch?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, May 26, 2020.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

It’s slow so, I have a question for those that have been lifelong Jet fans. Who were your favorite players? There were some that I liked, and some I was a raving fan for, but my choices come down to the working men who left it all on the field.

1. Wayne Chrebet – Spent 11 years on the jets and became a fan favorite of a generation. All-time in franchise receiving yards and touchdowns. Jets Ring of Honor.

2. Ronald “Kyle” Clifton - played 13 seasons for the New York Jets, playing in 204 games. Jets all-time leading tackler. Led the NFL in tackles for a season three times. A working man’s LB.

3. Mark Gastineau – Left after 9 years, and I was real mad about it at the time, I loved his sack dances. Franchise leader in career sacks (74) and single-season sacks (22 in 1984). Twice led the NFL in sacks for a season (1983, 84). Jets Ring of Honor. Franchise record 22 sacks (1984).

4. Nick Mangold – He was an anchor for our o-line. Seven-time Pro Bowler. Two-time first-team All-Pro. Had to step in the shoes of a HOF center (Kevin Mawae) and he became one of the top two centers in franchise history.

5. Joe Klecko – Heart of the Jets defense. A four-time Pro Bowler, two-time first-team All-Pro and a key part of the famed "New York Sack Exchange." Led the NFL with 20.5 sacks, setting a then-franchise record (1980). Jets Ring of Honor. No. 73 retired by Jets.

Note 1: I was too young at the time Don Maynard played to remember, but through film he was incredible. If I had been older to see him play during his career, he would surely have been one of my favorites. First player to join the Titans, now the Jets, and played a key role in the franchise's only Super Bowl. Pro Football Hall of Famer. Held pro record for total receptions and receiving yards. Franchise leader in receptions, receiving touchdowns and receiving yards. AFL All-Time Team. Jets Ring of Honor. No. 13 retired by Jets.

Note 2: Dennis Byrd came in the year following Mark Gastineau’s abruptly leaving and he managed to fill the void. I was a huge Dennis Byrd fan. If he wouldn’t have been hurt, I think he would have had a good career. Only played for 3-1/2 season but recorded 28 sacks and inspired fans everywhere. No. 90 retired by Jets.

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Rich Caster was an exciting player who played both TE and WR for us and would've probably put up great numbers had Namath been healthier. When Namath was out (a lot) Caster had no one to throw to him, and I mean literally no one.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Freeman McNeil -- silent, potent warrior. Looked like he had been shot after every carry. Slowly, painfully got back to his feet, pads and limbs all bent out of shape. Limped back to the huddle, annnnd... back to work.

Bruce Harper -- steady, occasionally electric return man, and also a reliable third-down option. (One day a few years ago, he called my father, who worked in the school system at the time in various roles as a troubled youth advocate. Bruce was pitching himself for a fledgling career as a public speaker. My father kept him on the phone for 15 minutes, pretending not to know who he was. Then finally he said, "So... if we bring you in, do I get a signed #42 jersey or what?"

Mickey Shuler -- to watch him was to love him.

Peebag, alleycat9, MJK and 6 others like this.
  4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

anybody on the 68 team causse they were champions :)

Jets69 likes this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Going back to the Shea days I would say the entire sack exchange especially during the 1981 season was fun to watch. Klecko is one of my favorite all-time Jets. Also Walker, Toon, Mangold, Chrebet, Martin just to name a few others over the years.

Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Al toon - great yet underrated.
    The sack exchange- the reason I’m a jet fan

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Nuu Faaola

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm going to pick the two best on O and D I've seen play for the Jets in terms of talent and sheer wow factor as a fan. In the case of the D neither were among my favorite players. In fact both of them were disappointments to me as a Jets fan. There are a ton of players who were terrific, too many to name.

Revis and Abraham on D.
    Namath and Al Toon on O with an honorable mention to Freeman for one of the great playoff runs that came out of nowhere.

FJF likes this.
  10. 1.Aaron Glenn- was a constant bright spot on alot of dreadful teams.Had many dominant performances & was elite in 1998.

2. Rob Moore- Extremely underrated in Jets Lore. The forgotten great Jets WR.

3.KOB-My first love as a Jets fan when i was 4 years old.1986.A dynamic Jets offense.Ratt has third straight album go platinum.Time machine anyone?

4.Kevin Mawae-Mean,tough & super athletic.Everything a Jets OL should be.

5. Antonio Cromartie-His onside recovery/return against the Patty cakes in 2010 will always hold a special place.

11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I noticed like most, my list doesn't include QBs. I was always a fan of the selfless worker bees not the prima-donnas. The only TD scorer on my list is my favorite Jet Chrebet, but he earned my list and everyone else's.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Curtis. Not Curtis Martin. Curtis Conway.

Zach, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Shaun Ellis and Curtis Martin.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Joe Klecko on defense.

Several on offense including Wesley Walker, Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Wow .....I'd have to narrow down over the 40 years I've been watching but on offense I'd say McNeil, Walker, Toon, Shuler, Chrebet were my favorites.

On defense - the sack exchange, Erik McMillan, and Jamal Adams.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Lance Mehl
    James Hasty
    Mo Lewis

Only For a hot minute:
    LaMont Jordan

Didn't get the ball enough:
    Johnny Hector
    Leon Washington
    Bilial Powell

boozer32, alleycat9 and donkey like this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Joe, Boozer, Snell, Don,//thrn Freeman, Sack Exchange (esp Joe K), Toon and Walker and TE Shuler (sp)

18. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Mark Gastineau. Love him or hate him, that guy was a blast to watch play. Fire, intensity, enthusiasm and excitement.

Peebag, boozer32 and Leicester Jet like this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

McNeil and Harper are at the top of my list.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Frankly, the Jets' QB history is pretty lame. Even Namath wasn't so great.