This Joe D guy doesn’t look half bad, eh?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 23, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Thank you, yeah, just wanted to see where you were coming from. Those are great points. You want players Sam can become comfortable and familiar with. Not changing them every year. That was my one argument to bring Robby back. They already had great chemistry. Hopefully Perriman will be just as good or better, but we don't know. We do know what we had in Robby. And you and @NCJetsfan make good points about adding another WR in the draft. Maybe one of the UDFA's will turn out like Robby did. Lawrence Cager and George Campbell had nice tape when I watched, but you never know.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. phill1c

phill1c Member

I agree about changing receivers every year. And I also agree that Sam and Robby had good chemistry. But, I also think that Anderson and Perriman are about the same, route-tree wise and Perriman is bigger. I'm not saying Perriman is better or even as good. BUT I thought Anderson was mostly a home run hitter, who wasn't a true No. 1. I think that Crowder is the main WR. I think Smith will be solid, Mims is a hot prospect and Berrio and whomever else, plus TEs. Receivers shouldn't be an issue.

cval and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Definitely with you here Kurt. The Jets have routinely ignored the WR position. They butchered it was Sanchez by letting Edwards walk and replacing Cotchery with Mason.

Before Mims this year, the last WR to be taken that early was Stephen Hill. I was yelling on draft night to take Lamb at 11, but we went with Becton. I didn’t care for the pick on draft night, but I’ve come around on it. Hindsight being 20/20, we could’ve had Jones at 59.

I really think JD will go big for a WR in FA or in the 2021 draft. Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins (I’d make a trade for him if the price is right), and Marvin Jones are all FAs.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

He’s a good GM for an ex-OL

He doesn’t appear to understand the importance of building a team of WRs who can run crisp routes and get open quickly and consistently

The west coast offense and shifty slot receivers who can separate quickly and reliably evolved for a reason

Because it places less stress on the OL and QB

And cornerbacks can’t play as physical as they used to without drawing penalties

It is easier than ever to get open if you are good at getting open

And now you can’t tackle as hard, which means there are more missed tackles due to more tentative defenders, so the chances for more YAC are also higher

It’s a passing league dominated by high IPP receivers and the Jets still don’t get it

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that I misunderstood your intent. That's why it was so shocking to me, and I responded the way I did. It just didn't seem like you at all. I'm relieved to know that wasn't your intent. If it helps any, I like most of your posts, and that's why I said I thought it was your worst, because it seemed so unlike your normal positive, respectful posts. I think all the isolation from social distancing is starting to get to me. Sorry again.

egelband and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He probably should have checked in with you, you could have explained the importance of building a team of WRs. All those bottom of the draft WRs who will more than likely contribute no more than the WR already on the bottom of the roster.

But dont tell him the OL would benefit to the point of making drafting OL unnecessary. All these years that I've watched football and read the way to build a team is in the trenches wasn't true?

You need to let it go, we weren't drafting Jeudy and never should have drafted Jeudy. We dont need a costly slot receiver to help the OL. Thats totally untrue and defies football 101

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No worries! I understand. Sometimes it is hard to read the tone of a post on a message board. I really just wanted to know what he would do with the WR situation. In the end, I got his opinion and yours. Both made good points. And yeah, I think the social distancing is starting to get to everyone!

egelband, CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And we have to hope that Gase has learned something too. And no, I'm not hijacking the thread to bash Gase, it's just a fact. If he doesn't do things differently, the other moves won't amount to much.

9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Agreed. Seems that Joe D is following the classic "team building 101" formula.
    1. Get your quarterback. (check)
    2. Protect your quarterback (check - fingers crossed)
    3. Knock down the other guy's quarterback. (pending)
    Maybe we've caught lightening in a bottle with either Zuniga or Huff but if not, edge will be the priority next year.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I personallyt would've loved to have had another quality WR taken, but honestly, I'm deferring to JD's experience, knowledge, and the assumption (based on what I see so far) that he has a blueprint he's building upon. Given all that, I'm going to wait and see what he does to address the still below par receiving corps. That said, I do think that it's better than last year - which of course isn't saying much, but improvement is improvement. If Douglas fails to seriously upgrade the receiving coprs with FA and the draft next year, I'm going to have a real problem, and will assume at that point that he's another in a long line of Jets GMs that don't value offense, and if that's the case, adios.

11. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

Allen better than Bosa? Am I reading this correctly?

Dude...no. Absolutely no. I liked Allen. I wanted Allen. I didn't want Q b/c it's obvious we didn't need him. I agree with you on all of that. But to claim that Allen is better than Bosa? You're the only one who thinks that. BTW Allen was no generational player. He's good, and he can be real good, but he was no LT or Derrick Thomas coming out.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, he's not better in terms of being a pure pass rusher, but he offers something that Bosa and other don't have, and that is his versatility. He is great vs the run and great in coverage, and he has the athleticism and potential to be every bit as good a pass rusher as any of them. I think when it's all said and done that he will be a generational OLB/Edge. I don't care if I'm the only one who thinks this way. I think he is better than Bosa overall and can do more for a defense than Bosa can. I could be wrong, but I can live with that if so. He had more sacks than Nick Bosa last year and had the same number as Joey Bosa his rookie season. Joey Bosa had 40 tackles his rookie season and Allen had 43. Nick Bosa had 47 tackles. Allen is right there with both of them, and I think it's ridiculous that fans think the Bosas are the be-all, end-all. They aren't. I think he is a better version of Anthony Barr already, and is a much better pass rusher than Barr, and that's plenty good enough for me. In his rookie season, he already had almost as many sacks as Barr had in his first 3 seasons.

13. NYJFOREVER

Still gotta find one or two guys Sam can grow with at WR so the Jets don’t have a revolving door at the position every year.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. Trainer

We added Mims and two former first round picks this off-season. Let's see what Shawn Jefferson and Hines Ward can do with them.

egelband likes this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

Both Doctson and Perriman are on 1 year deals. I pray one of them, or dare I say both, step up and become one of Sam’s guys.

Outside of a stretch of games for Perriman, neither of those guys have proven anything.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Trainer

If one of the two works out for us and is contracted into the future, then both deals were worth it.

If they had, neither would be here with something to prove.

17. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That's the thing though. This is year 3 for Darnold. He will be looking for an extension soon himself and has no for sure reliable target beyond Crowder. Not exactly the recipe for success. I have hope for Mims, and maybe Perriman as well, but in year 3 he should have reliable targets so we can see if he has what it take to be our fqb. All it creates another excuse for why we aren't competitive and, as much as I don't want to turn this into an anti Gase discussion, an excuse for him as well.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Thomas is old and done. There is a reason he's still on the market. Douglas messed up not bringing Anderson back.

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I was not that high on Q at draft time and was personally leaning Allen myself but there is a lot of wisdom in this post. And its not like Q has officially been buried yet. Hopefully he'll still develop into at least a very solid player even if he never becomes and Donaldesque superstar.

But its certainly not like Mac was the only NFL executive out there that would have made that draft pick. I suspect probably close to all of them would have.

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Can we have a vote or something on whether Quinnen or Quincy gets to be "Q", and the other, as well as all future players, be forever denied that shorthand?