Jets sign QB Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 22, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Over and over and over again many people on this site have pointed out, more than correctly in my opinion, how important Is to get a veteran back up QB on board. As if last year wasn’t proof enough, the uncertainty of this year conditions should be. Yet when we get one, a suitable back up at a tremendous value, some people think we are filling the wrong hole. Well, If 0-6 with Sam out is the wrong hole to fill I have no idea what the right hole is. Further, I find it amusing the thought that Joe is not good enough to be a back up in some people’s mind, while many others already forecast the grave danger of a QB controversy. Now that’s a huge gap right there.
    Whatever floats your boat, but controversy is in the fans and media’s mind only at this point, and for me, controversy worst case trumps lack of bench strength by a mile.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Don't worry I'm not gonna play out that movie
    No I don't seriously think it will happen but based on nothing more then a gut feeling, I'm not sure that Douglas and Gase are fully convinced that Sam is their guy
    Its pure hyperbole but it has been posted numerous times, so that just got me thinking that considering the trade haul each would get and the fact Douglas drafted Morgan and he dosent have to be paid for a while longer, then there is no guarantee that it's Morgan that would be the one to be traded

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Morgan was a 4th round pick. If Douglas actually viewed him as the future, he wouldn't have waited until the 4th round to draft him.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Things like Darnold being one of the top QBs over the last half of the season, presumedly when he was feeling healthier, without the benefit of an OL or running game worth a damn says that we'd have to wait to see something resembling NFL calibre QBing, never mind top of the league play.
    People dont realize how well Darnold plays with a bad team, how much better he plays when not under duress.

SOJAZ and GreenWhiteandGold like this.
  5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

No no we are getting a 1st rounder for him like Jimmy G. Lol

JetsNation06 likes this.
  6. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Championship!

Time to bench Darnold

Flacco won a Super Bowl and would have been the GOAT if he was a lot more coordinated, accurate and figured out how to throw with more touch and anticipation

It was a smart move by Douglas

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree 100% about Parcells. He had a lot of great attributes, and he was successful, but he had some very serious flaws, especially regarding offense and specifically the QB position. I really believe he cost the Jets more than one shot at a SB, and wasn't sorry to see him step aside. And given the direction the NFL took in the last 20 years, really emphasizing offense and scoring, he would've been even worse.

I also blame Landry for leading the change to calling the plays for the QB. If there was one rule I'd like to see, it wouold be banning coaches from communicating with the players on the field. Let the players play, for better or worse.

matt robinson 17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If the Jets field a team remotely like last years it won't matter one bit. If anyone is thinking our OL and offense is going to resemble last years the QB is basically screwed.

With this years schedule and last years OL, Flacco would be a dead man walking.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Arguably 4 out of the 5 STARTING OL will be new, three with proven NFL talent and one very promising rookie. Unless this virtual training really screws up the chemistry of playing as a unit, it would be unfathomable IMO to think this offense will resemble last year, both in the run or the pass. If it does, it will be much more than the QB that will be screwed, add the GM, the CS, and above all, us, the loyal fans. I expect a very competitive season against tough competition. I want this team to demonstrate a significant step forward in closing the gap in the AFC east.

#129 LAJet, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Interestingly, for all the bashing we give him about play calling, this seems to be the direction that Gase is trying to steer Darnold. Take control of the offense, make the calls on the field.
    That's why the day Darnold "barged" into Gase's office was so important. It was a first step in Darnold claiming the offense as his own. Something he needs to do to be successful - dare I say "elite". Many on this board spun it as a negative, a strike against Gase. I viewed it as just the opposite. The coach keeps feeding the QB plays, ideas, and strategies. The QB adopts what works for him and develops into the "coach on the field". Another term we've heard out of the Jets camp.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well that's a very optimistic assumption, and I would like to believe it true, but Gase should've made this much more clear to Sam if that was the case. After all, Darnold was a 2nd year QB playing for his 2nd CS, there's no way he would assume that he could "take the reins" unless he was specifically told to do that. But that said, I don't really believe this was Gase's intent...we'll see. I would love to see a return to the days when QBs called the game based upon what was happening, real time, on the field. I do think Sam has the intelligence and football IQ to do this well.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

We heard and read a number of reports that Gase and the other HC candidates wanted to be here because of Sam. We heard the same about Douglas. Plenty of QBs can sling a football, so there must be more to the equation: Leadership skills and Football IQ. I have to believe that there's something between his ears and in his heart that they really like.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am interested to see what the jets long term plan is for sam darnold. you see more and more teams not wanting to lock qbs up long term for 15% of the salary cap and wanting to win in that first contract window. which is half way closed already for sam who really hasnt shown he can be great yet. he doesnt seem to be a kid that they look at as a top 10 qb right now and i dont know if he will be in 2 years or not. i think as jets fans we see him as being better than he actually is because thats what we want him to be.

thus far hes a 60% passer with 36 tds and 28 interceptions in 2 years. we could get that out of jameis winston last year. who nobody wanted on the free agent market.

Wahoo, Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He's 21 and Winston is how old?

He has been sat behind a porous OL and shite WR's.

Two different HC's

Two different OC's

What were you really expecting his stats to look like at this point in time?

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm late to this Flacco thread but I did suggest the Jets sign him as a backup in another thread. I'm not trying to toot my horn but reiterate my reasons. I feel the Jets are going to be good and possibly very good this season (if it's played.) We saw what happened last season when Sam couldn't play due to an illness. They put in an inexperienced rookie (albeit after Siemian went down too) and they lost all four games. That can't happen in a season where the expectations are high. The backup QB has to be able to win games. Okay, maybe not against the top teams, but against the mediocre and bottom feeders in the league, those games must be won.

alleycat9 and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

So we spent a 4th rounder on a QB and signed Flaco ( injured ) but we still don't have a back up that can win games in the beginning of the season ....this back up QB thing really shouldn't be this complicated.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Better than the Jets' usual problem of signing and drafting QB's and still not having a capable starting QB. :cool: I think it will be okay. Sam can learn from Flacco, get backed up by Fales until Flacco is ready, which is hopefully very early in the season.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Like I said if Darnold gets injured in preseason our starting QB is David Fales. Lol

#139 MJK, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Okay, yeah that would be a problem.............:eek:

MJK likes this.