This Joe D guy doesn’t look half bad, eh?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 23, 2020.

1. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Not necessarily...Gase is on the hot seat ..The schedule is brutal ..we should be looking for the team to compete..And for Sam to take another step forward...we’ll find out Quick ..With in the first two game How much better the O-line Is.... I agree with some of the earlier post Joe Douglas is not done tinkering with this team I believe he’s going to add another receiver through free agency or someone getting cut they need veterans WRs not rookies to help Sam along at this point ..First game in Buffalo will tell us a lot not necessarily expecting a win but I want to see the team compete that’s Gase’s job... To get the guys ready to play... I believe in Joe Douglas it’s the most I’ve been comfortable with a GM since Parcells was the coach And picking the groceries

#41 jetstopgun, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I was including Enunwa because heading into the offseason, we were expecting him to contribute this year. Anyway, I'm not saying this year's WR corps is worse than last year's. Last year's was very bad, and a step up from that remains bad relative to what good WR corps look like.

J-Raw24, NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. jetstopgun

I never expected Enunwa to play he’s hanging on because he’s under contract we Haven’t seen him in two years neck injuries no joke He should’ve announced his retirement a year ago

K'OB likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Would you like to bring in a veteran like Paul Richardson or Taylor Gabriel? Maybe re-sign Demaryius Thomas to a 1 year deal. Not sure who else is available. I honestly like Vyncint Smith and Braxton Berrios. I could see either stepping up. We know Crowder is great in the slot and Mims and Perriman will be on the outside. Anything out of Doctson would be nice. Have to factor in Herndon and Griffin too. Both solid pass-catching TE's. So the situation might not be as bad as you think, but it could definitely improve for Sam. A lot will depend on how good Perriman is and how much Mims can do as a rookie.

themorey, K'OB, blackssmagic and 2 others like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the bolded sentences. I said that even after all the FA signings, that Douglas had to take Becton to make sure that Sam was protected and the OL solidified. Yes, we had a lot of holes, but the most important thing on the Jets right is, or at least should be, ensuring that Sam develops into a FQB. Edge rusher, S and CB could have waited until next year if need be. The offense has been a dumpster fire and ignored for too many years. I would have had zero problem if every pick in the draft was used on offense. The thing is that Douglas could have added Davis and in the 3rd and still have taken another WR or he could have taken a WR and then taken Zuniga. Davis looks like a great prospects, but imo, ensuring that Sam develops and adding another young WR was more important. As I have said, I hope it all works out, but if it doesn't, Douglas takes a step down in my eyes, and I will be less happy with the job that he has done so far. I'll still like him and most of the work he's done before, but it will still be a big mistake in my eyes. If Sam doesn't develop, then we will be looking for another QB in a couple of years and it won't make a difference how good our D is. That will only serve to make it harder to draft a FQB. If Sam doesn't develop, then it will be on Douglas to find and draft that FQB. If he fails to do that, then all the other good he has done will be for naught.

#45 NCJetsfan, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have zero interest in Paul Richardson, and only a little in Taylor Gabriel. Yes, getting a good veteran WR would perhaps help more than a rookie, but a JAG veteran WR or one who is over the hill isn't going to help Sam than much. Gabriel has some potential and I guess I'd rather they sign him that Demaryius Thomas if they have to choose between the two, but I'd rather sign both.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Not to nitpick, because your reply is fair, but why on earth would you have expected Enunwa to contribute this year? With a second serious neck injury, there should have been no expectation of him playing football...

8. jetstopgun

Let’s hope with the improved O-line Sam will have time To go through his progressions given that Mins and Perriman are Burners i would like to think they can shake themself free .. speed should cover up mistakes they make with route running..... the key to the season will be the O-line...Will they give Sam time to look at second and third receivers when he drops back to pass and also the run blocking...Will they be able to get enough of a push to allow Bell to do his thing...One things for sure..we will know within the first two games what they can do Against good D-lines... Nothing exposes even a good secondary more than a quarterback that has time to throw... O-line play will make or break or season

#48 jetstopgun, May 24, 2020
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Me personally? I wasn't very confident in Enunwa coming back. But considering the Jets essentially swapped Anderson for Perriman and didn't add anyone else until the draft, I think the Jets may really have been expecting Enunwa to contribute this year.

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't neccesarily say Mims is a burner. He has decent speed but also a good catch radius and fights for contested balls. I'll be honest I wasn't high on him coming out, but after watching film and seeing how he fights, he's starting to grow on me. O line play can easily be a huge contributor, but we also need Perriman and Mims to play like average or above receivers. That a lot to ask from a rookie and someone who hasn't yet shown he can play a full season at an average level. But I do agree oline will be huge.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. jetstopgun

Mims ran a 4.3 in the 40 at the combine that’s what Robbie Anderson ran .... my thinking ..any one that runs under 4.4 ones he gets past you is pretty hard to catch.. DBs im thinking will Respect his speed once he gets going... he’s got long arms And 6‘3 so he should also be a redzone target ..Many thought this guy was going to go first round late...We do share a mind here though Sam has to have time to throw ..its a big IF... can this new look line provide time for Sam? also that time these Receivers will need to shake free running routes see how this plays out ...And I still wouldn’t rule out Joe Douglas adding a veteran receiver not to start but adds depth....It’s easier to fine WRs than it is quality O-lineman..

#51 jetstopgun, May 24, 2020
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you really think they don't know the extent of the injury to his neck?

IMO he will never play again and the Mac and/or the Jets have given him a retirement contract, there can be no other reason as to why he was extended when he was.

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I couldn't wait for Macc to go, he needed to go and proved in his 5 seasons that he wasn't up to the job. But most thought that QW was the better player, a lot still do. His story hasn't been written yet, he was obviously not ready for the NFL and injured too much of the time to know exactly what he is yet. And I wanted Allen. I just understand the reason they took Q. No one would be complain about BPA if that player were Bosa, its not the philosophy.

But still right now I wish he heard me screaming for Allen when we were on the clock

14. jetstopgun

Sure there is Magic Mike Mac didn’t know what the hell he was doing... To draft a FQB..and then NOT bring in or draft Quality O-linemen is Criminal He’ll never be seen or heard of again from a GM standpoint

K'OB and Yankjetfan like this.
  15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think the professional front office was more than aware of the severity of Enunwa’s medical status. I think they know that patience benefits the long term, and that you can only do so much.

16. J-Raw24

Perriman ran a 4.25, and some scouts had him at 4.19. Robby ran a 4.36 but was said to have a bad time. Most say he is faster. Either way not bad. Mims ran a 4.38 which is close to Robbie, and cert6 fast enough to take the top off. My problem with the statement is the term burner. Most burners re one trick ponies. That take the top of and that's about it. I don't think Mims fits that category. I mean he can certainly outrun some RBS, but more dbs are about that fast or play zone or off the receiver to give themselves a headstart kinda. Mims can make catches over these dbs and has made a name doing it. If he gets route running down he could be a solid all around wr. Maybe even a solid #1, or dare I say great. At first I didn't see it as I was enamored with Lamb, Jeudy, and Jefferson. But I will admit he looks better than I thought. That said all good receivers need good o line to buy them time to get open. So hopefully our line develops fast.

ColoradoContrails and jetstopgun like this.
  17. Its fascinating yet frustrating to see the incredibly low standard fans have for offensive skill & more specifically WR.

You all wouldnt accept this level of talent w the precious OL.

“Sam will have more time to throw & allow guys to get open”. Yeah maybe on the front end. The back? Likely holding the ball too long cause no one’s getting open, constant blitzes from the secondary cause defenses dont respect the boundary, & defenses able to stay in zone to stay face up to Sam neutralizing his ability outside the pocket.

Mike Tannenbaum said what killed his regime & Sanchez was the skill position & namely WR.

Yes Rome wasnt built in a day & the precious OL is the only thing anyone cares about anyway.But is 1 WR drafted since Sam came on board acceptable given what we’ve fielded since his arrival?

Im afraid people might actually say “yes” based on responses on this thread.

One more time for effect.

We wouldnt accept this level of talent at OL,why do we accept it & celebrate it at WR?

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. J-Raw24

I don't think so. Good teams have average or above players at both o line and receiver. Honestly in todays time if you have a FQB then rb should be the spot to just take pot shots at 3rd round or later. Not saying rb isn't important but an good o line can mask a below average rb more than a wr. The wr still has to get open where the rb just has to hit the hole. Some teams been doing this for years.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Will C in Jan 2021 if the season is played :mad:

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Of course no one would complain about Bosa - he would of filled a position of need and a major one at that.

Think how enticing this defense would look right now with Bosa or Allen.

With all the first round defensive picks over the years they only swung and missed once at EDGE - every other pick was a DB or a DT. I can’t believe it’s been 14 years since Abraham left......