Rookie Sam Darnold to Seattle?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 14, 2020.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think there's any need to justify paying QB's less. I think it's a gigantic Jedi mind trick that has convinced everybody they should be paid as much as they are paid now.

I get that the agents job is to get their clients the maximum amount of money however this is a zero-sum equation. Every overpaid QB is accompanied by a bunch of underpaid players at other positions. The onus really lies on the teams to just say no to gluttonous QB's. That's where the focus should be.

But all human endeavors are heavily influenced by perceived value and it take a mountain of hard evidence to break that down. Even as the evidence is accumulating it has to get to the brink of overwhelming the logical processes involved before it takes hold.

This of course means that the Jets will give out the last monstrous QB contract to Sam Darnold in 2 years and get buried for a decade as a result.

Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rules have been changed so much that favors the passing game that QB, LT, and Pass Rusher are the most important players and get the HUGE jack.

But what if the rules were slowly changed to allow teams to score just as much with a smashmouth running game? Now we'd have 6+ MORE players on each squad that become uber important, forcing the cap to be spread around more fairly.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is Sam's year to get paid. Most successful quarterbacks have the luxury of having their franchise build around them in some capacity (minus some outliers). Running game and defense is a strategy. Bulk offensive line and cycling in young talented receivers. Few quarterbacks have to truly do it by themselves.

We have fucked up the development of a young quarterback in every way possible. And SOME WAY SOME HOW we've managed to figure out a way to give him a shot in his third season. Two head coaches, two offensive coordinators/system and a historically bad offensive line and we've probably had the worst skill position players in the league since 2012.

It really feels like a miracle that we feel like we have a chance next year despite a terrible schedule. It's the reason I bought a jersey for the first time in a decade+.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

As much as I generally stay in the middle with expectations, I have to agree with you. So far, nearly everything that could have been a major impediment to his development has become a reality.
    -Huge Expectations
    -Very Young
    -Huge/Polarizing Media Market
    -2 Offensive Systems in First Two Years
    -2 Head Coaches in First Two Years
    -Terrible Offensive Line
    -Bad Skill Positions
    -Embarrassing Illness

Somehow through all of this he still has shown poise, improvement, and flashes of tremendous talent. I think he’s going to be really good.

5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

This would've shaken up the league very much. And, from the sources I see they would've taken Josh Allen. That would've been doubly as bold for Seattle

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...e-young-qb-starters-thrive-bill-barnwell-2018

The above ESPN article is from 2018; I remember it because of the discussion about Goff because if I were the Rams, and believed McVay was the genius I thought he was who can elevate a QB, just like he did with Goff, I absolutely would have traded Goff, gotten a bounty of picks and put that salary to the other pieces of the team that could help my next QB who McVay makes elite.

If McVay is that genius, there are a handful of QB’s they could have had this year for cheap, not to mention the draft picks they could have had for Goff. Instead the Rams have had to break up the team, have no draft picks, are in cap he’ll and Goff doesn’t look to be ascending anymore.

Brook!, Br4d, RochesterJet and 3 others like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

And he was an absolute liability at cornerback in Remember the Titans.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right that there is a strong psychological aspect to overpaying QBs, but really the problem is that the QB DOES occupy such a central role in the success of the team in the modern NFL game. With the rules engineered towards making this a passing/scoring league, it's virtually impossible to have an impregnable defense that carries you to a SB, like the 85 Bears and a few other teams that had mediocre QBs but stout "D" and a strong ball-possession offfense. That appraoch has been ruled out of existence.

As a proponent of high scoring offenses - like the old AFL days - I have to acknowledge that it places a premium on the QB, and therefore makes it virtually mandatory that any team that wants to win a SB MUST have a FQB. But the law of "supply and demand" dictate that there isn't going to be enough of these to go around, and therefore the ones that are available will command a king's ransom. I'm okay with that, but it does create an imbalanced system. While I don't want to see a return to the boring "3 yards and cloud of dust" days, and lots of 10-6 results, and games won by one team kicking more FGs than the other, I think a middle ground could be found. That would make sense. Unfortunately no one has ever accused the NFL owners of having much of that commodity.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

It's difficult but definitely not virtually impossible. The 2019 Patriots, 2016 Broncos, 2014 Seahawks, and 2013 Ravens were all defense centric teams. The 49ers of last year, 2016 Panthers, 2013 49ers, 2007 Bears and so on, lost the SB as defensive based teams.

Balance is key and you need a quarterback to get hot. I think we might see a switch where teams will start to give themselves easier ways to get out from under a QB's contract come year 3-4-5 of the deals. Stafford, Dalton and Derek Carr all prove why it's a bad idea to give out the huge contract before true proven playoff success.

JetBlue and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Even after proven success imo. Rodgers, Wilson, etc all signed big contracts and they can make it to the playoffs. But I don't think they will ever get over the hump. To much money on one player. Meanwhile Brees signed for over 10 million less per and they have a solid team all around. Over 25 million on any one player kills the team.

JetBlue and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. JetBlue

A strange combination of fear and optimism drives a team to “overpay” a QB, even if he’s the best QB. Fear that they won’t be able to replace the skill and experience, thus getting rid of a proven QB will end up costing the GM his job because the GM that makes such a bold move will get killed in the media when the team declines. Will the GM survive the decline and be around when the team rebounds?

and optimism that the QB is so great he will overcome the deficiencies of the rest of the team that will be created by overpaying him. For that GM, the criticism of not getting more pieces, that he can’t afford, around the QB will be far less than the criticism of getting rid of a QB, even if you never win a SB with the overpayed QB.

When was the last time Brady’s cap hit was top 10 in the position?

Br4d likes this.
  12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

It was for Allen.

Jets fans just can’t wrap their biased heads around the fact that josh Allen is looking good

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Allen always had the highest ceiling due to his physical attributes (size, Arm Strength, and running ability). Living in Bills country, I watch a lot of Bills games. What I like about Allen is his Fiery personality and will to win. Sam is an entirely different QB, more polished and refined

I think his career will be short lived because he relies too much on physical abilities. The way he recklessly runs around is going to shorten his career. The injuries are going to start piling up

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

IF that story is true... then how stupid are the Browns. Who turns down a chance to get Russell Wilson

I don't believe that story

16. JetBlue

How stupid are the Browns? History has answered that question repeatedly.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's statistically the least accurate QB in the league for both of his first two seasons. Looking good though!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

good point. Very stupid. I still have a hard time believing the Browns would be this stupid though

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Still blows me away that Todd Bowles was the pick from Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf. They should be brought before a tribunal and answer for that lol

20. BrowningNagle

I’m not an Allen hater, I do think it’s pretty pathetic that every time there’s a Darnold thread the little Bills troll feels the need to interject and bring up his QB for some reason though

I will say I was listening to local Buffalo radio and they posed the question “what if Allen and Darnold were switched?” And Allen played under the circumstances Darnold has played under here in NY, and Darnold in Buffalo. It’s a valid question because it very easily could’ve happened.

anyway I think we can ALL agree that if Allen was here, it woulda been a disaster. He woulda cracked under the pressure and the lack of stability and talent here