Rookie Sam Darnold to Seattle?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 14, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If they don't want him I'll take him especially if Darnold doesn't make the jump to stardom soon.

Paying crazy money for a QB it seems every team is doing it now even scrubs are getting paid.

Wilson is having a HOF career. If Wilson is on the market as PFT reported I'd rather see the Jets make a move for him than pay Darnold.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I like the idea but we have to think manageable contracts too. Seattle is still making the playoffs but they lack the maneuverability to get over the hump. That is a lot of cash on one player.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Oh ya. As much as Wilson got paid ($40m/yr) that will seem cheap compared to what Sam's agent will be demanding sooooon!

4. Footballgod214

Yes it is. Teams seem to follow one of two models: QB on rookie deal, lots of cap to spend on FAs. Or, QB on a huge deal that drains 25% of the team cap, with the team filled out with C+ to B- players. Jets (right now) fit the first category with big checks written for Bell, Mosely, and Adams (soon). Those days will be gone soon! That's when a GM really earns his stripes...filling out the rest of the roster w/o a ton of cap to do it with.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

maybe they did? also remember the jets traded up and gave up 3 2nd round picks to be in that spot to get a QB. we probably wouldn't have wanted russell and the price tag (look at our cap now with a cheap darnold rookie contract) imagine if we were paying close to 40mil for wilson right now. darnold counts 8.4 mil against the cap in 2020 wilson counts 31 million. that's a 22.6 mil difference or rougly the same as bell and crowder. My guess is they wanted darnold or baker but neither cleveland or the jets were budging.

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't think he's getting $40 million per year I know QB salaries are crazy but I can't remember hearing/reading about any QB hitting that number annual salary yet.

Sam hasn't done squat yet. Then again that doesn't seem to be a requirement in the NFL these days for a player to break the bank.

Looking at things realistically when you see the um how can I put this as kindly as I can? Underwhelming supporting cast Joe Douglas has put around Darnold the odds of him hitting star QB production numbers before his rookie contract is up isn't good.

If that continues Darnold's contract & the Seahawks possibly moving Wilson could intersect at the same time. The Jets would be out of their minds not to consider Wilson.

I don't think he's the best QB in football, I do think he's vastly overpaid but most QBs are nowadays I also know when I see how incredibly productive he's been, how consistant he's been, no major injuries he's well on his way to Canton someday.

AND

Even with a Super Bowl ring, two Super Bowl appearances on his resume he's a player that if his career ended today would be remembered more for the pick he threw at the end of the SB against the Pats so he still has a chip on his shoulder to erase that memory I think.

7. Footballgod214

Russell Wilson got that. And Dak Prescott was offered even more by Jerry Jones and he turned it down. Anyway, in 2 years when Sam is due no one would be surprised if he gets $50 per. Assuming, of course, Sam pans out. If not Sam, than certainly Mahomes.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd love it if Sam settles for $50 per year. Makes it so much easier to build around him when he's on his second contract. :cool::D

K'OB and Footballgod214 like this.
  9. J-Raw24

Ok first off.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/russell-wilson-9885/
    It not 40 million per year. Second Dak was offered 33 million per supposedly. Third Wilson has one a superbowl and been a top 5 qb in the league for several years. Sam hasn't been a top 10 qb for a single year yet. Dak just had a top 10 season 2 years in a row and people think he's great. Everyone is touting him and a top 5. Sam hasn't been touted as a top 10 yet. If he improves I don't think he will be top 5 yet. If he is so be it. If he keeps improving but does he will get a similar deal to Tannehill. His second contract will be around 20-25. Much more manageable. unless he wins the superbowl this year he isn't even close to on par with Wilson.

10. Footballgod214

lol 20-25

11. J-Raw24

When he becomes more than a 3000 yard passer, more than a Ryan Tannehill he will command more. That's how the nfl works. So far Darnold has proven nothing. He has shown glimpses. So did Jameis Winston, he's making less than 10 million. Sam has done nothing compared to Wilson or Prescott and will get no where near that number until he does. Hell Jared Goff has done more at this point. Don't get me wrong I like Sam. I think he has all the potential to be great. But this far it potential. He's not better than Tannehill or Winston at this point. But until he becomes a top 10 TV he will not be paid like one, by anyone.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Jets gave up on Pete Carroll way too soon. Leon " I want to win right now" Hess really screwed the pooch on that one. We have to stop laying the blame on coaches and GM and start telling these clueless owners they suck. I just hope Douglas can right this ship so we don't ever mention the owner.

jonnyd and K'OB like this.
  13. Footballgod214

I like your optimism....at least as far as Sam's future contract. When I suggest he could demand a $40m+ contract, obviously I'm assuming he becomes the QB we envisioned when we drafted him. If he remains a middle of the pack QB (or even less), then JD might let him walk and hand the reins to James Morgan?

I really don't like it when GMs give their QB who lead the team to 8-8 seasons 3 years in a row a huge contract just to keep him in house and to avoid the huge pain in the neck to try and get a better QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

ummm obviously it wasnt for lamar jackson. Come on bro

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, just because the owners suck - and they sure do - doesn't mean that the shitty GMs and HCs they hire can't suck and don't deserve their share of the blame.

I do agree that there is a glimmer of hope now with Douglas.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would you not trade a $30M+ a year QB for a highly regarded prospect QB on a rookie deal when the thing that was winning you games most often was your great defense that you were trying to keep together for another shot at a ring?

Russell Wilson is an excellent QB but it's unlikely that he could or can win a championship without a lot of help on offense and a great defense.

The Seahawks had him on a rookie deal and they would not have won without Marshawn Lynch and that defense. The logical conclusion if they were trying to repeat the deal was to get another good QB on a rookie deal and rebuild a championship roster around him.

Oh, yeah there is the problem that they also had to pay Richard Sherman and a bunch of other guys on that defense at the same time they had to finally pay Wilson. So, really nothing they did was going to change the outcome there.

The Seattle Seahawks are the poster boy for the salary cap works in terms of keeping teams from building up perpetual Super Bowl teams. You have to pay the piper sooner or later and his fee is collected in future Lombardi Trophies.

That rat nest in New England is the exception and the NFL really should put together a competition committee project to figure out how the Patriots eluded the target the cap should have placed on them. That would go along way to making sure that parity is not just a buzz word that effectively means nothing in the modern NFL.

One potential solution would be to place much more realistic performance bonuses on players in their first 4 years in the NFL. Force the Seahawks to really pay for Wilson and Sherman's contributions much earlier than they did thus compressing the bubbles out of the Super Bowl window.

Another would be to take a very harsh view of franchises that were trying to get around the salary cap with side deals/under the table deals/various cheats and so on. This is the Ban Bill Belichik in 2006 when it has become clear that he cannot stick to the rules and he has already won 3 rings option.

Both should likely be implemented in any serious review of the first two decades of the 21st century in the NFL.

Of course, NFL integrity, blah, blah, blah, countless billions in TV contracts, blah, blah, blah, etc.

Knute Rockne is spinning like a top in his grave.

17. Footballgod214

I love this.

Seattle was at a cross roads. Pay Wilson and rebuild the team on the cheap, or trade Wilson (Darnold?) and keep the team intact.

At least Seattle 'explored' the option, even though it never materialized. Actually I'm surprised more teams don't do this.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder if a market correction is coming soon for QB salaries. Surely, teams realize that 30+ million per year is way too much to give one player in a league with a hard cap, even if he's a top 5 player at the game's most important position.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That could be. I would also watch for some changes to the rules, de-emphasizing the passing game a bit, and helping the running game and pass defense. This would reduce the QB's impact on each game - not substantially, but enough to justify paying them less as a result.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. J-Raw24

It's sad that it has come to this. But as it is going paying some top end players is starting to kill team. We you have 1/6th of your salary tied up in one player it's hard to build a team around them. Soon some qbs will price themselves out of the league at this rate.