Joe Douglas interview on WFAN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Apr 30, 2020.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Pretty much accepted that Macc and possibly Gase laid the groundwork for that deal Lee.
    What does that have to do with his contention that he didn't want the job or that GMs are better suited to do what theyre hired to do?
    On one hand we try and use finishing a deal to dump a player we all wanted to see gone as proof he wanted to be GM and on the other accuse him of getting Macc fired and JD the job. That he wanted? Which is it?

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

3rd and 15 draw?

K'OB likes this.
  3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

1-7 and the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league. Sam gets healthier but the OL is decimated by injuries. Does the locker room start pointing fingers as the media attacks Gase and everything Jets? Nope. The team stays together and we go 6-2. An incredible job by the e tire coaching staff and a sign this isn’t the same old Jets. Great locker room and smart front office. The second half of the season is our jumping point for great times ahead. 6-2 no matter who you play after going 1-7 is fact

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's saying it to save face. he actually wants the full control

rammagen and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. The thing that fascinates me,and id LOVE an explanation..

2018 after a choke job yr one & losing the locker room yr 2,Bowles goes 5-11 & bc the roster was bad fans give him a pass...

Gase goes 7-9 yr one w one of the worst injury situations ever including the QB being out for a month w mono as well as dreadful roster & everyone is ready to crucify the guy.

Yr 3 5-11? Its all good?

Yr 1 7-9?Fire his ass?

Miami is not Ny.Totally different situation.Gase deserved a clean slate & never has gotten it.

Why did Bowles get excuse after excuse but Gase gets literally zero slack since day 1? Dont understand it.Never will

6. GasedAndConfused

best guess is bowles was more likeable. gase is a douche

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I want Bowles gone before year 3. That said Gase has doesn't get a clean slate. He is supposed to be a good offensive mine but hasn't has an offense in the top 25 since he had Manning running it. He has proven to be bad at head coaching for 4 years. This year will make 5. He should have never been brought it, but he helped land Douglas. I don't understand the recurring argument here though. He will be here this year no matter what. If he cannot win more game than last year he should be gone. No excuses. That's 5 years as an HC.

rammagen likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

These are not mutually exclusive POVs. I was banging the drum for Bowles to be fired after Year 1, and did the same for Gase, for the same reason: they aren't good enough to win a SB. There's absolutely no inconsistency there.

Given your deep knowledge of football Kurt, I would expect that you would've seen how terrible Gase's decision-making is, and it's proven by his record. The whoile "injuries and shit personnel" is nothing but a distortion, covering up his poor coaching.

And where's the proof that it was Gase who kept the lockerroom together? That could more easily be attributed to the fact that many of the Jets were rookies or guys just trying to hang onto a pro career and who were smart enough to not badmouth the HC or give up - they had something to prove.

We're wasting time keeping Gase. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think I am.

rammagen likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The "recurring argument" doesn't ignore the fact that he will likely be here this year, and good odds that he'll be here the next too. But acknowledging that doesn't change the fact that he's a bad HC and it's a bad decision to retain him.

rammagen likes this.
  10. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I can see this point but they lost game due to coaching on the offensive side of the ball plus 2 of those loses came to previously win-less teams that were tanking at the time
    Gase to me without Manning has been a disappointment an offensive guru he has yet proven to be. Look no further then they way he used or didn't use Bell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. rammagen

I dont care about the guy's personality all is fixed by winning and he has not done that as a head coach

J-Raw24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

I was just pointing out why fans gave more benefit of the doubt to bowles then they do to gase. that's all

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe it’s because Bowles was a first time HC, and Gase was already a HC who didn’t do much in the position.

let’s also not forget that Gase was not going to get the job, all of us forget that after the first round of interviews the Johnsons were not sold on any of the candidates including Gase.

It was the phone call from Manning that swayed the johnson to hire Gase.

Regardless of all that, he is the HC and probably will be next year as well.

We have to deal with It as fans, all we can do as fans is cheer for team and hope Gase is successful.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I don’t care what he did anywhere else only on the Jets and this year is his first year with his kind of guys. He should get credit for getting rid of Mac and helping CJ hire Douglas who is joined at the hip with Gase. We finally have a coach and GM in synch. If we stay relatively healthy I will judge Gase harshly if this team doesn’t succeed. He’s not getting a free pass this year because he has more talent and his kind of player.

15. rammagen

I think the other part you are ignoring/missing is that Gase is 2nd time head coach and the 1st time around he was a loser and Bowles was a first time head coach

16. rammagen

well you should because what makes you think he changed? They said the same thing in Miami. A coach that is an offensive guru that finished last 1 x is an aberration in the bottom 5 ...4 years running is an issue. That is why you when you go for an interview they look at your job history or even for a r=promotion/raise. What makes you think the decision making should be any different.

Let me put it to you like this I am an offensive guru I want to be head coach, I go to an interview and I say I coached Peyton Manning and we had the best offense in the world, but since Manning retired I have finished with the 16th ranked offense and the 25 26 27 and 32. Am I still and offensive guru? I say I had injuries and bad players for 5 yrs..........It is the NFL everyone has injuries.

And no he should not get credit for getting Mac fired, Mac did that to himself with Crappy drafts, and if that is the best thing he can do here then his tenure should be over. I think JD is the one with the vision and I agree we finally have a gm but as far as in sync with the coach.......it is hard to say since the coach is relatively bad and all i see from people are excuses for him being bad rather then looking at the facts. what is it going to be this yr, Covid 19 screwed him if he fails?

Injuries happen to everyone in 4 yrs as a head coach he has yet proven to be an innovator or a good coach that adjusts to the players he has on the field. Bad yr not matter what he should be fired. I am tired of watching crappy performance after crappy performance by coaches

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Sure he is.
    Then he wants to control the world, the universe.
    Tainted crystal ball

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Very, Very Well said in my opinion :mad:

Yankjetfan likes this.
  19. Honestly, im tired of the discussion all together.You guys simply hate the man.

we cant have a reasonable 2 way conversation about it bc anytime anyone brings up objective points that hampered Gase yr 1 they are immediately labeled as excuses.

Anytime anyone disagrees that the offense couldve been ran differently w football based reasoning those points are ignored or also called excuses.

Im not a gase fan by any means..but im willing to look at things from the whole picture & simply acknowledge that Miami is not NY & that young coaches DO in fact get better.Anytime this is mentioned its ignored or..you guessed it..called an excuse.

Gase took your guys lunch money somewhere down the line.So i guess have at it.

It’s just as bad as listening to Patriot fans defend cheating.

20. rammagen

No again all of us here want the jets to win but are being realistic, we are not making things up to hate on, we are posting facts and stats from his previous head coaching job. Injuries are excuses because they happen to every team. Good coaches over come them. He helped build that team and you know something the same can be said of Miami. So he gets no leeway, this is not a new 1st time coach, this is second job as a head coach and his performance last yr was very much like his miami performance, bottom 5 offense and poor in game adjustments. Coaches do get better but you should have seen that growth in Miami instead he regressed there.

You say you are looking at the whole picture but your not if you ignore his performance in Miami his offensive rankings and his lack of in game adjustments.

So we are not making things up these are all facts everyone seems to over look. The only positive he has is last yr the team fought on, the same can be said of Bowles as well. The team not quitting is not enough, sorry but loosing to two teams that were win-less when you played them is crap, when the defense suffers injuries and still out performs you started without 2 starting middle linebackers and no number one corner and your the head coach and the offensive guru and you can not figure out a way to get Bell the ball to try to help your young qbs and your less then stellar oline that you help put together, give realistic fans very little faith in him. Never mind his record as a coach.

Look support gase all you want but you can not deny facts, he is bad head coach he has a loosing record his offenses has not finished out of the bottom 5 in the last 4 yrs. For an offensive guru that is bad, his claim is he won a super bowl as the offensive coordinator of a Hall of fame Qb but with out that qb his offense went from average to down right bad but you want to blame the players on 3 different teams in 5 seasons for this rather then the coach admitting he needs to adjust and grow. 5 yrs is allot of tie to grow and adjust and he has not.