Joe Douglas interview on WFAN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Gore won’t be featured over Bell.

Also Darnold went to Gase to give input on the favorite and best plays he likes to run. Gase has said from the get go he wanted Sam to own this offense to make it his own. In that sense he has this massive cookbook and Sam initially just took it all in, he was a 2nd year QB in a new offense. Once Sam got comfortable, he let Gase know what he wanted to do, exactly what Gase wanted all along.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Regardless, Gase hasn’t had success as a head coach. He had one decent year in Miami, but I really don’t expect him to do anything this year. I would love to be wrong, but I’ve seen how this plays out too many times.

ColoradoContrails and rammagen like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He was just about a .500 HC in Miami
    One good year, when he made the playoffs with his starting QB going down in the stretch run
    Years 2 and 3 he lost his starting QB for most of their games. With a roster that already lacked talent.
    Sometimes success is limited by more than just coaching, what he had to work with has to be taken into account

Hes had unbelievably bad luck at the QB position

Mogriffjr likes this.
  4. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I can just laugh at this post Gase has done nothing outside of having Manning adjust. his offense has not finished higher then 15 with the bears without a hof QB. I like Sam but Gase has done nothing to deserve any faith. The fact that you try to use injuries as a defense is weak at best. Every team has injuries, not every team has a HOF qb. Sorry but your argument does not hold water.

Because the inverse is true without manning he is average at best in fact his offenses (what he was hired for) finished in the bottom 5 the last 4 yrs in a row.
    Until he wins he gets no benefit of the doubt and should be on a short leash. In fact of you based hirings' on previous job performances the argument should be made that he should not have been hired as a head coach since he is a coach with a loosing record and bottom performing offense. 1 ting is supposed to be his specialty he is no offensive guru till he does something without manning.

You people think people that hate gase because it is thing to do, when most people here want the team to win but some people are so blinded they forget to equate in facts, like previous job performance and talent evaluation.

I will give you some examples, he brought over the back up qb from Miami where he had him for a yr (Luke Falk) , that qb sucked could not read defenses and Gase did very little to try to protect him. Gase has issues with in-game adjustments and game planning the injury excuse is joke because Gase the talent evaluator did a horrible job there .
    Not everything can be fixed in yr but certain things can be mitigated with in game adjustments and planning to help the oline and qb.
    Lets look at last yr the o line we had issues but why did it take so long to adjust to help the oline?
    meanwhile the defense had injuries and overcame them with game planning and in game adjustments. So how does the defense overcome injuries but the offense an't I am not saying go and win every game but at least look like a nfl offense. Every team has injuries no-one can use them as an excuse for poor job performance.

If you run a business that does are you hiring, cause I would love to make claims and never have to back them up.
    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/...ius-peyton-manning-sam-darnold-jets-dolphins/

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. rammagen

Gase had a big say in what that team drafted. So I am happy Douglas is having the bigger say here. you actually help make my point Gase the talent evaluator is not that good.
    https://phinphanatic.com/2018/08/25/adam-gase-banking-draft-picks-turn-team-winners/

#25 rammagen, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  6. LF911SC

And Gase has said repeatedly he didnt want those responsibilities and feels that teams should have GMs who GM and HC who coach.
    He doesnt have those responsibilities here so its kind of moot

7. Quinnenthebeast

Okay man, but if we don’t improve off of 7-9 then you can’t say it was because of hard schedule. You can’t have it both ways. Gase needs to improve the record and offense or he should be fired simple as that.

Of course the owner and former GM are terrible but they now got Douglas who is clearly better already. They have rebuilt half of the offensive line and Herndon is coming back. Gase is running out of excuses. I know he will probably get another year because of the hard schedule excuse despite Darnold likely minimally improving again.

rammagen and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He's got a better team so I expect improvement no doubt. CJ and Douglas are not firing him after 2 years. U and most jet fans have had it for him before his first game. That's all you people ever want, replace the owner, replace the GM, replace the head coach, replace the QB, lets get a new stadium this one sucks.

cval likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Many hated the Gase hiring from the start. He had a career losing record, and there were questions about how he related to players. I was one of these doubters, but I wanted to have him prove me wrong. So what did he do? He began by not playing his proposed starting OL even one down together in p.s.. Then he was the one who chose who his backup QBs would be, and we see how that worked out. He showed time and again an inability to make adjustments during games. He refused to adapt his scheme and playcalling to the personnel he actually had, as opposed to those he wished he had. It got to the point where a 2nd year QB had to go to him and beg him to make changes. He never did figure out a way to use an All Pro RB properly, even admitting this at the end of the season. He "led" his team to two losses against previously winless teams - a feat never accomplisehd before in the NFL in one season.

Are those enough reasons for you? I doubt it. You want to believe that leopards can change spots. I guess there's a first time for everything so why not? Me? I'll believe it when I see it. But for all the losing you noted yourself, how much less would've happened if the owners had a clue and cut these losers loose rather than continuing to show "patience"? Gase should have never been hired. When he proved this during the season, he should've been fired at least at the end of the season. Now all we can do is hope this "leopard" changes his spots.

#29 ColoradoContrails, May 14, 2020
    rammagen likes this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

I am not a stadium complainer since I live in NJ and it isn’t hard for me to get there. NY fans should complain about how their local governments screwed that up.

I would say it was a mistake we hung onto Bowles despite him looking bad his second season and it was just another 2 years wasted. I would love to be wrong but I don’t believe Gase will take us to the playoffs. I am tired of the excuses, the waiting to see if this guy will turn it around, it’s all not working.

Of course there are plenty of ways to see signs of improvement like Darnolds progression, offensive line progression, the team keeping their tough games close, etc, but if we don’t even get those signs despite whatever record they have then I don’t know how anyone can justify his job.

11. LF911SC

We're not winning or losing a game because of Chris Johnson, that's not reality

12. ColoradoContrails

How do you figure that? Who signs the paychecks? Who hires the GM and HC? Or are these not integral to the W/L? In fact, you can pretty much detemine which teams are consistent winners and which ar elosers by their ownership. It's not coincidence or bad luck that the Jets haven't won anything in over 50 years with two owners who were clueless.

13. rammagen

No it is not it shows his short comings and when deciding on a roster and the when the coach has a say in that and a say in who plays then his talent evaluation needs to be kept in mind.

My point about Falk and oline are cases that shows his lack of player talent evaluation has hurt this and his other teams. While you can separate drafting you can not separate the coaching and making judgments on who plays or doesn't.

A good coach puts players into a position to succeed, in your honest opinion outside of when Manning was his qb what has he done to to get the moniker of being an Offensive genius, what has he done to deserve to be a head coach outside of having a hall of fame qb, or are you saying he needs a great qb for offense to work?

You can say the roster in Miami sucked but he helped put that together. He had Tannehill and I understand Tannehill was injured but is it not funny Tannehill goes to Tennessee and the coach has a system that plays to his strengths and he has a better then average yr.
    Why didn't Gase play to the strengths as well or at least adjust the system to use those strengths? In 3 yrs he did nothing of the sort.

Square pegs dont fit in round holes but the coach can make adjustments to fit the pegs into holes by scheming to the players strengths. You see that on our defensive side but not on our offense that is solely on Gase and why I don't like him as the head coach. Until he wins here or makes those adjustments on a consistent basis then he is what he is a coach with a losing record and his offensive guru title is false because with out a hall of fame qb is is worse then average he is bad.

#33 rammagen, May 14, 2020
  14. LF911SC

Last time I looked we have a GM just starting out on a 6 year deal. Are you saying there’s a possible reason JD could or should be fired? And if he was how does that affect our wins and loss record after the fact? What, as if today does CJ, unless he fires Gase, do that changes the W L record?

And I whats CJ been on the job for, 3+ years? Has nothing to do with Hess or Woody

15. LF911SC

Name me all the HCs in their first 4 seasons would have a drastically different record, if even almost .500 without their starting QBs.

Other than leading a on the downside QB to a historic season? Taking a team to the playoffs and a playoff win in Pittsburgh with Tebow? Get production out of Cutler in Chicago? These are square pegs in round holes?

The whole a healthy Tannehill did better in part of a season on a SB level team, with the leagues leading rusher while putting up pedestrian numbers proves absolutely nothing.

16. ColoradoContrails

Don't be obtuse. Of course I'm not saying Douglas should be fired. Find a post of mine that even suggests that. I've been consistent in my support of him, even when I'v disagreed with some of his decisions.

Are you saying that Chris's 3 year record should be ignored? And of course we have no realy idea of how much, of any, input Woody still has. But together they form the ownership. Wasn't Chris who decided that Macc and Bowles did such a great job they should be given extensions, even as they had only produced a losing record? And then he turned around the next year and fired Bowles at the end of the season - a good move, but 3 years too late - but held onto Macc and allowed him to run the FA and draft before he finally fired him? And are you actually saying that none of this affected the W/L record?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Your last sentence is right on point and a pet peeve with me. That was our Achilles heal with the offense. It was either holding after a big play or a sack on Sam seemed like. The common denominator on every move JD made to bolster the OL is players with mobility, discipline and commit few penalties. That in and of itself will significantly improve our performance.

themorey and FJF like this.
  18. LF911SC

YOU said CJ fires or hires the GM. Thats not the answer to what he does to cost us or bring us a win this year. Hes been in charge 3 years and the team has been rebuilding all 3 years, yes the record sucks.
    I'm back to how will CJ, sitting in his office do to cost us wins this year. This year, its all in the books, now what move will he make or not make. that costs us now, that's all I was talking about. Something more than our owner sucks

19. rammagen

It proves Gase does not have an idea on how to use players constantly to there best advantage, put players in a position to win.
    That downside QB (this one really has me questioning your judgment)is one off the smartest to ever play the game was constantly yelling out Omaha to adjust/change the plays Gase was sending in. You can't have it both ways and with Tannehill his offensive ranking was 24 or 25.

Gase has not done anything to be labeled that offensive guru tag since the hall of qb retired and Gase has been on his own. So if I read this right your blaming the players or the lack of their ability when Gase was helping to build the rosters? So either Gase the coach is the let down or Gase the talent evaluator is, I see it as both and until he has a better finish statistically better then the bottom 5 of the league as a head coach injuries or not (all teams have them good coaches scheme a way to win look no further then our defense).

Either way you cut it Gase is to blame partially if not solely for the offensive failures in Miami and in NY.

I get it you are a Gase supporter but argument lacks any validity when you look at the stats rankings and the eye test of watching him as a head coach the last 4 seasons. Gase should be no more then a offensive coordinator and based on his track record as a head coach he should not have been hired in NY as a head coach.

Production out of Cotler a top ten offense no try like 16th rank, without a hall of fame qb Gase has not had a top 10 offense in this league without him he has been average and then bad as as an offesnive guru. Then with our Culter 24th 25th, 27th and then 32nd.
    Those are basic facts you seem to be ignoring.
    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/...s-peyton-manning-sam-darnold-jets-dolphins/6/

By the way check your facts Gase was not the offensive coordinator in 2011 Mike McCoy was Gase was the QB Coach so he was not even calling the plays. Gase was the position coach for qbs, play calling was on McCoy that yr. Had a part in the game plans yes but play calling responsibility nope........McCoy left Denver in 2012 and Fox promoted him that yr and Manning was brought in after he missed 2011.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except the 2nd mac was fired and he was acting GM before we hired JD, he traded away lee. actions speak louder then words