Joe Douglas interview on WFAN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Apr 30, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the link. I am about 1/3 of the way through and I am loving the part that they do not want Sam taking the kind of shots he took last year. Sam took so many brutal hits in that 3 game stretch last year (NE JAX and MIA) where Gase refused to switch from 5 wide even though they could not pick up free blitzers. I hope JD will be talking to Gase about adjusting his offense to what the defense his doing rather than the insanity we witnessed last year.

#2 Noam, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    egelband, PabloJa, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Since Douglas promised Sam's parents that he wouldn't let him take any more pounding like that, I would certainly hope that he spoke with Gase as well as addressing the OL in FA and the draft. He should have, since Gase is culpable (and accomplice really) in that pounding. My only fear with Douglas is that he might let his friendship with Gase get in the way of doing what is right for the future of this team. If Gase doesn't learn to be more flexible, change when things aren't working, make better use of Gase this season and the team struggles, I hope that Douglas will do the right thing and either fire Gase or tell him that he has one more season to correct those flaws or he will be fired following the 2021 season. I say that with the caveat if Douglas is allowed by the Johnsons to fire Gase and make the new hire himself. He certainly should be, and I hope that was part of the condition of his accepting the Jets' GM job. I hope it wasn't just the longer deal, more money, and more money for his subordinates and scouts, but also the final say so on personnel, be it players or CS without interference from the Johnsons.

SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of Gase but i will say when his offense works it works really well. It puts so much pressure on the defense and it can be beautiful to watch. The problem is when playing a defense that can pressure the QB things can fall apart very fast and his offense can go from great to anemic really fast even with Peyton Manning. We have to find a better way to adjust to good defenses that can pressure the QB. I have confidence that Sam can beat bad defenses on his own but we need to be able to find answers to the pass rush and not leave him on an island. Part of that might be simply using Sam's gifts and let him roll out and let him run a little bit. But we do need to find a way to make defense's pay for blitzing.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

C'mon! Now you're just engaging in Gase bashing!:rolleyes: You need to show more trust in him, given his reputation as an offensive genius and personal caddy to Peyton Manning! What about all the injuries and the lousy personnel? Of course you're going to parry with "Yeah but why didn't that keep Greg Williams from having a decent defense"? Sigh.

All kidding aside, this is just more evidence of why the only conversation that Douglas should've had with Gase after putting the most valuable player on the team in jeopardy was "You're fired".

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

reminds me of the paul hackett offenses.....when they have the right players that can execute - it looks very good. when it doesn't, it looks worse than a high school unit.

Noam likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, would you do that to a friend and someone that helped you get your first big career opportunity? Wouldn't you have sat down with him after the season and said, "Let's talk about what went right and what went wrong this year, and how we can improve going forward."????? I think they probably talked and Douglas told him that things were going to have to change and get better this season.

I think you would do the same thing in the same situation. Knowing you a little, I can't see you just up and firing a friend and not even giving him a chance to learn and fix things.

egelband likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nice post. I have spoken to my brother quite a bit about this and how there are guys running open all the time and it is exciting to watch when its rolling. However, the biggest downside to Gase is the lack of adjustments. The moment the D figured out what we were doing, we were stuck in the mud. Just look at how well we started on opening drives before the D could adjust to what we were doing.

This last point is kind of off topic, but it popped into my head about how guys were running wide open and we would hit a big play only to be nullified by a dumbass holding penalty. I felt like that happened at an absurd rate last year and then we would be back behind the chains at 2nd and 20.

egelband, LAJet and Noam like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Yes, if I was acting as friend. But first, I think this whole Douglas and Gase are friends" has been overstated. I haven't read or heard anything that indicates they're best buds. If such evidence exists I'd like to see it.

But if I were Douglas, I would've been alarmed watching how Gase handled last season, and MAYBE, if we were friends I MIGHT give him a mulligan with the understanding that he'd better turn things around this season. Frankly though Douglas seems like a real professional and I think he'd demand performance over friendship, and I hope he doesn't keep Gase around if he exhibits the same things he's done his entire HC'ing career.

Leicester Jet, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Ok Adam... eye roll

11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

His offense only worked really well when a guy named Manning was running it for him. Manning was calling plays at the line. Making the correct adjustments. I like Sam but he's not Manning. He could eventually reach that point, but Manning was one of the smartest QBs of his time. He knew defenses and how to adjust. Without that Gase has been garbage.

12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Love Gase. Love that he has no life and looks so serious during the draft. Love that he talks up his players. Love that he has barely a life outside of ball. Gonna be one of the great jet coaches. The fact that most Jet fans hate him gives me even more confidence. How many GM coaches and players has jet fans been wrong about including me over the last 40 years. It’s a great sign

egelband, twown and hornblower like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

If he wins, I don't care whether he's loved or hated. I just don't see any evidence that supports that faith.

rammagen, Brook! and LAJet like this.
  14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I don't think we can make a judgement based on last year with Sam going down,not playing at 100% and the backup going down who sucked to begin with.While every team has injuries' last year was the worst situation I've ever seen. Some fans want to blame Gase for it but I don't see any evidence of that. The jury is still out for me but I feel confident he's gonna get the job done. I've never ever seen a fan base so down on a head coach after one year, actually they were down on him before the season started. I find it dishearting and I've lost respect for our fanbase. Maybe he's no good, not sure, but lots of fans wanted him fired during the season. That's insane and down right stupid. Jet fans are ridiculous and should stop feeling sorry for themselves like were the only team without success. The last 9 years have been as bad as I can remember since Kotite, and I've had enough. But there are teams that don't even have the moderate success we had under Parcells and Rex. So I am living in the present and I think for the first time ever we have a GM, Head Coach and franchise QB at the same time. Good times ahead. And using Gase's record since he's been working in the NFL to debate your case for being fired is truly the dumbest comparison possible. Fire away haters!!!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2019_injuries.htm

Sec124DieHard and hornblower like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't think Joe Douglas can fire Adam Gase. Both are co-equal and both report directly to Chris Johnson.

That being said, JD could certainly petition to have Gase fired (see Gase getting MacCagnan fired). Don't know if JD would then be allowed to hire 'his' coach or if Johnson would chair another 'search committee' and make the new HC report directly to him again rather than report to JD.

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don’t understand. Why would you expect the fan base to like a failed coach from a division rival? Given we were en route to the worst season since Kotite before the easiest cluster of games we’ve probably had in a decade helped us to turn it around. Look at how Gregg Williams took a bunch of nobodies and made them a top unit last year. In contrast, the offense was worst in the league (including a Dolphins team that was semi-tanking). Darnold had to go to Gase’soffice to say he should be improvising more. Why didn’t Gase know Darnolds strengths coming into the job? I understand that as a fan you root for your team to succeed but when we all know how this is going to end, why not just fire Gase and move on? I would love to be wrong about Gase and that he will see the light and use players to their strengths but I just don’t see it. Especially once they start featuring a 37 year old runningback over Bell it was will confirm he doesn’t know how to tailor an offense to the players strengths and has 0 leadership skills.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seriously, this comes down to when Paul Hackett had the starting QB his offenses worked and when he didn't they didn't. That's true of 95% of all OC's in NFL history.

We would have a very different opinion of Hackett if Chad had been hit hard less often. The hits he took were because the Jets mangled the protection in front of him in inexplicable ways during his tenure with the team, this despite having very good offensive linemen available.

Having Chad playing in the pre-season in 2003 behind a pair of backup guards was probably one of the worst decisions any team has ever made. No idea if Hackett was culpable on that one. If he was, well then he deserves the rep.

joe likes this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ Yep, . and the 3rd and 15 draws didn't help. . : )

19. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

So now we have 2 seasons in one. We didn’t go 7-9 we went 1-7 then 6-2 but that didn’t count because we best lousy teams which means we weren’t one of them. And u watched every Miami game and followed FA and the draft for 3 years to determine it was coaching and not the talent and owner. And the season hasn’t started and u have gore getting more carries then bell because gase likes him. He’s a god damm hall of farmer and a leader. And the shit talent on offense which gase had nothing nothing to do with wasn’t the reason why darnold did not excel. Geez Man U made my point perfectly. Ty

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This sounds great but Douglas is not Gase's boss. They both report directly to the owner.