Larry Warford Anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 8, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

So how is it that Saints couldn't trade him for a pick, any pick? I refuse to believe it was just a money thing

sometimes when a situation looks too good to be true...

I would have to kick the tires on this, and as others have noted he might not fit our scheme

Let's not let our frustration with Winters blind our judgment

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

great player but not a scheme fit. we are pretty log jammed at o-line too. i'd rather spend the money elsewhere and see what we have as of now.

3. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

He might be tough and a lot better than we we typically see because he's played injured, but the dude is always injured. I go into every season telling people how we'll be a lot better with a healthy Winters. By week 14, we'll hear he was injured in week 3 and kept it a secret. Enough is enough. We save like $7M by cutting him, and Warford is looking for $7M. Time to move on.

Ptflea2 and RochesterJet like this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Warford is not looking for 7 million. 7 million is what the saints saved in cutting him. His contract was 11 million. Most likely he is looking for close to what is contract was.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. JETS1116

6. J-Raw24

We will see. He's 28. It's probably his last chance at a big contract. I bet he tried for more than 7 million and more than a 1 year deal. 28 is the age most players try for their last big contract. Outside of QB its probably the last chance they have.

JETS1116 likes this.
  7. JETS1116

I get what you're saying, but we're about to see Jason Peters sign a contract at age 38.

8. J-Raw24

Not everyone is Peter's. He played decent last year and will probably only get a 1 year deal. At 28 you are hoping for 4 year then at 32 you can start living year to year with another 40 million in the bank.

9. JETS1116

He may want a short term deal if the salary cap is goin to get lifted soon. I think I read there will be a big hike in 1-2 years, so it's in teams' best interest to lock players up now.

10. J-Raw24

The cap generally raises every year. But I have read that this year it may not due to the Covid. We will have to wait and see. That said he very well could want to cash in now.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that Fant and Becton could learn a lot from Peters, but I don't see that happening.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's probably not getting a big contract. He was not all that with the Lions, played in 3 Pro Bowls with the Saints, but his play supposedly slipped this past season. Earlier today, someone posted that he's looking for a contract in the $7-$8 million per season range.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

He still made the pro bowl last year. But that could be because its a popularity contest now. Either way I could see him driving the pruve up as he is coming off 3 consecutive pro bowls.

14. J-Raw24

I have to agree. It would be great. I could see a Beachum return before that though.

UK jet likes this.
  15. NYsportsfan1962

I don't think Peters is that far fetched. It wouldn't be a big move from Philadelphia, he has ties with Douglas who seems to be the master of the one year contract. Peters can still play and both Becton and Fant are not locks to start, at least not yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all and would welcome the insurance policy.

BTW - I watched the Seattle / SF week 17 game the other night. I focused on Fant the entire evening who was playing left tackle and had to go up against Bosa most of the night. I was pleasantly surprised he held his own the entire game and also made some nice plays. He moves around pretty well and may be better suited for the left side. Feel a little better about the acquisition. Thought I'd share.

JETS1116, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Joe mostly brought in athletic offensive linemen. I’m not sure Warford is a fit with this group. I could be wrong though...

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I understand the desire for peters on the surface but what are we doing here? We drafted a left tackle with the 11th overall pick while we had glaring needs at wide receiver and the best receiver still on the board. We spent $9 million on another left tackle who doesn’t really want to play right tackle but will probably have to. What are we going to bench one of those two guys?

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

No idea what the Jets will do here but I remember guys like Parcells would never slot the rookie in at LT, he'd play RT the 1st year or 2 then slide over to LT. They signed Fant to a 3 yr deal and knew they were going OL with their 1st pick because all WR were available when it came time for their pick. You don't sign a guy to a 3 yr deal that wants to play LT and have the plan to draft an OL early unless you have a plan to use both and get the rookie experience without throwing him to the wolves. So far JD looks like a guy that knows what he's doing so to me that means Fant plays LT this year and Becton plays RT. What happens next year depends on how they both play, injuries etc. The positive here is the Jets FINALLY have depth and options at OL, something we haven't seen in ages on this team.

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I feel semi comfortable with the gameplan if we’re moving forward with Fant and Becton at tackle. I don’t see the logic behind also adding a guy who would only sign here to start at left tackle

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't see Peters coming here at all.

NCJetsfan likes this.