Jets sign Frank Gore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 5, 2020.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Since you asked, no, I don't think it was ALL on MacCagnan, but I agree with NC that he certainly shares a lot of the blame. If you are going to guarantee, what $34M, to a CB, as part of a $74M deal, you better have a good idea what you're paying for. In just his second year of his deal, Trumaine was already loafing in practice causing teammates to claim that he doesn't even like football. My point was more on Douglas and a lot of one-year contracts, than it was about MacCagnan e.g. Douglas did not rush to sign jets free agent OLB Jordan Jenkins, and eventually brought him back on a one year $5M deal. A good deal for the jets because IMO Jenkins is nothing special as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. MacCagnan likely would have never let Jenkins hit free agency, probably would have given him $40--50M, and then watched 4 more years of a mediocre pass rush from Jenkins. Like I said, only my opinion--Mike did not have a good eye for talent and didn't mind enriching guys with Woody and Chris's money.

K'OB likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, a lot of us wanted Wilkerson re-signed, but unless I'm mistaken, Mac signed him to that contract after Wilkerson had been late to several meetings, had blown off a walk through and perhaps something else. If I'm not mistaken about that, then there's no way he should have just handed Wilkerson a big guaranteed contract. It should have included reachable incentives for being on time, attending all meetings, etc., production that would have boosted the contract up to its value, and the money should not have been guaranteed.

K'OB and tomdeb like this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Right. And it also didn't help that Bowles announced during the offseason that missing meetings (referencing Geno Smith) was not that bad because not everybody has an alarm clock, or something like that. What a stupid message to send to your team.

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, that does lay the blame more on Mac but we still also wanted to sign him back up knowing that he had done this, granted your point of incentives would have been better but I'd say Wilkerson was never going to put it in, I bet if his guaranteed $$$ was 'just' 15m he would have done the same, $15m is enough for anybody to last the rest of your life really.

Greedy lazy cunts, they do my face in.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hopefully, we will be more professionally run in future under JD.

J-Raw24, NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm certain that we will be.

K'OB and tomdeb like this.