Rumor: Jets Expect to Sign Logan Ryan (Signs with Giants)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NYJFOREVER, May 12, 2020.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If we're going to offer a 1-yr 8mm contract I would rather give it to Jason Peters. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. And the way Douglas has set it up, we will see it change just as much in 2021.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't know about who gets cut cut but I expect Bless will be starting. He's Under-rated as hell based on what I saw last year.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I read an article a few weeks before the draft speculating that Douglas was moving towards a NFL trend of buying cheaper zone corners trying to take advantage of a pricing value spot. It seems to be right on with us picking up Desir, Ryan, Hall, Wilson to go with Bless. All cheap zone CBs. I like the flexibility with Ryan playing inside if not primarily inside. Add Ashytn into the DB mix and it looks like Williams will have a lot to work with. I do love how Douglas is re-making the roster with players that fit the scheme the coaches are running. Not to mention that is one more expiring contract next year that could add to an additional comp pick.

#44 Noam, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    chandler, NYJetsO12, mattyd99 and 3 others like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I really like this signing (if it happens). I can see the positives, but two things bother me.

1. If we have cap space, I'd prefer to spend it on a pass rusher given the secondary has gotten quite a bit of love this offseason.
    2. If we can't upgrade the pass rushing spot, then I'd prefer to upgrade the WR corps with a proven talent.

At the same time, I understand the need for patience and some trust in Douglas building to his plan. So I guess, bottom line, if he signs it makes the team stronger than weaker so I can't really complain.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the list of FA WR still available is very underwhelming..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/available/

Brook!, FJF, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

If these players were signed to long term deals, half this board would complain about that and the lack of flexibility. Can’t win. IMO, flexibility is more important to a franchise than locking players in, which is why the player strives for max guaranteed money.

I’m cool with this move as long as it doesn’t affect getting Warford, we need him to beef up our oline.

Vida likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even though we've added Desir and a number of young CBs with potential, I still think this would be an excellent signing. It would solidify the coverage, give insurance in case Poole can't repeat his level of play from last year, and will be another quality veteran to help mentor the youngsters. It would also greatly increase the competition. The only negative as I see it is that it will mean less reps in TC for the youngsters. Still between Desir, Ryan, Poole, Wilson, Davis, and maybe Austin, we should have a solid starting corps of CBs and not have to throw the young CBs to the wolves. It will give them time to learn the system, adjust to the speed of the NFL, get stronger, etc. It sets up a pipeline at CB. Adding Ryan would really take our CB corps from perhaps the worst in the NFL last year, to potentially one of the best this year.

#48 NCJetsfan, May 12, 2020
    Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I"m liking this a lot. Last year G Williams did miracles with a decimated secondary disguising cover two as best as anyone. He now has some really good people that can excel in coverage. Second or third and long with be a lot of fun to watch this year with a much improved 3-2-6 formation, where CJ and Williamson will roam the middle while the opposing QB is desperately trying to figure out where in the hell the blitz will come from. Adam, May, Logan, Pool, Davis......you name it. Rest assure Greg was deeply involved with this signing. This defense is shaping up nicely. I expect a lot more 3 and out and bring in the offense for more opportunities. I also think good old JD has something else in the works too. Good lord.....we are actually trying to build a competitive team out there.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

This is a valid point. They will get less reps for certain, but they should be able to learn from Ryan and Desir as well. The Jets are serious about winning and changing the culture. They aren't content to let younsters struggle and the team's record suffer. From that perspective, you gotta love it.

JETS1116, NYJetsO12, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I see no negatives to this signing (if it happens). The Jets still will have room to sign another player or two. Trumaine Johnsons $11 million comes off the cap in June. They have Winters' money, and possibly Bellamy's and Enunwa's money to play with as well.

SOJAZ and K'OB like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he can play both. i'm guessing as of now him and desir start outside with poole in the slot and if we go dime bless goes outside with desire and poole and ryan are the inside guys. we can also use adams to cover outside or slot and go 3 safeties with davis and maye playing the zones. lots of flexibility in our roster. JD seems to eye in on players who are flexible like he did with the o-line

Noam likes this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

A lot of these rookies are sitting behind guys that can walk next year... Smart. This off season has been impressive

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we've recently shown interest in Jason Peters, I agree and Becton and Edgoa would really benefit from learning from Peters.

IDFjet likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would be shocked, as players would really have to step up to earn that reputation.

Chargers, Patriots, Bills, Bears, Ravens are ahead.

16. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

how do they have any money from Enunwa and Bellamy?

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If there's an injury settlement I believe the money comes off the books, I could be completely wrong though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

From what I've read the Jets haven't even made an offer yet....pure Manish BS. Yes we are interested in Logan, but let's not get ahead of our selves. Manish always wants to be #1 to cracked a story, so he makes up these fictional "sources " to sound legit.

19. NCJetsfan

I said "one of the best" not THE best. Yes those starters are better, but how about their depth? Even if their depth is better, we could still have one of the 8 or 10 best CBs groups in the NFL rather than dead last. Desir, Ryan and Poole are proven players. They won't have to step it up that far, if any, and if Davis is as good as advertised, and if Austin, Hall, Wilson, Jackson can contribute at all. I think we should have a very good CB corps this year. It could just be too much optimism on my part, but I think this group has a ton of potential and I'm excited to see what Williams can do with it.

#59 NCJetsfan, May 12, 2020
  20. NCJetsfan

Exactly! Taylor Gabriel is the only one from that list I'd even consider signing. As much as we may need another WR, I'm think that Warford, Ryan, Peters, or a veteran QB to backup Sam might be a better use of the cap space and dollars we have left. We may be able to sign him and one of the others, but maybe not.