OL Experts: Probability of Becton becoming a Pro Bowl LT?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 6, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't think anything has to be primary at all. Hopefully Douglas has a list by the time the draft come and sticks to it. BPA at a position of need. Right now Receiver, Edge, and CB are all a need. CB may drop of depending on this groups performance. Hopefully some Edge prospects have a good year, but if college is cancelled I doubt rate very many edge prospects high at this moment. I'd rather have Ross or Chase than most of the edge. But again we have to see where we pick and what happens with the NCAA. I mean I personally feel we wasted our 3rd round picks this year, but I could be wrong depending on performance.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Brady has made a career from throwing to the guy who is open -- note i didn't say to the stud receiver winning contested balls

it's a lot tougher to cover 3 good guys than 1 stud and 2 duds

so i agree with you

add in a stud TE (who also blocks) is probably cheaper

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Give me a stud and a good WR on the outside, and a good slot WR.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. J-Raw24

Add in a good tight end if Herndon gets healthy and develops. Can you imagine Sam with Chase/Ross, Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Bell/Perine and a good line. He may actually have a chance to be what we all hope he is. Then you start the defense overhaul. Most the important pieces will be on a rookie contract. We would be able to extend Sam and Jamal while adding depth in later rounds.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that WR and Edge will probably be the biggest needs next year. CB could be as well, but I will be disappointed if this group of CBs doesn't turn into a very good one. We have an excellent blend of players in that group. Desir with a lot of experience, Quincy Wilson with a pretty fair amount of experience. Austin who had a good rookie season once he saw the field. We have height in Desir, Austin, Wilson, and Jackson (all 6'1" or taller), and blazing speed in Javelin Guidry. Davis who will probably play CB some and he is very fast as well. Shyheim Carter is a tweener who could make the team and see some time at CB as well. I think that Jackson and Carter are the only two who are on the slow side. I'm hoping that our future starters are in this group and we'll have an excellent CB corps that goes at least 4 deep.

If there are no great Edge prospects in the draft, I'd love to see the Jets go WR in round 1, and the TE Pat Freirmuth from Penn St. in the 2nd round, then maybe a new starting RB in the 3rd round, and the offense should be ready to rock and roll. Grab an Edge in the 4th and an OG in the 5th round if it works out, then draft a K and a couple of whiz bang ST players with our two 6th round picks and our 7th. Then in the 2022 draft hopefully there will be some excellent Edge Rush prospects and the Jets can trade up and grab one.

EDIT
    I just looked up Edge prospects for the 2021 draft. There are 4 Edge prospects listed in the top 50, and if there is a collegiate season, we'll see how many may be worth serious consideration. Following are their names and where Sporting News has them ranked.

#4 Gregory Rousseau DE, Miami 6'6 251 lbs.

#21 Joe Tryon Edge Washington 6'5" 262 lbs.

#27 Carlos Basham Edge Wake Forest 6'5" 275 lbs.

#32 Quincy Roche LB/Edge Miami 6'3" 235 lbs.

The Draft Network has these listed as the top Edges:

#5 Gregory Rousseau

#27 Carlos Basham

#37 Quincy Roche

#40 Aidan Hutchinson Edge Michigan 6'5" 278 lbs.

#43 Xavier Thomas Edge Clemson 6'2" 275 lbs.

#63 Joe Tryon

#86 Big Kat Bryan Edge Auburn 6'5" 247 lbs.

#89 Hamilcar Rashed Edge Oregon State 6'4" 233 lbs.

#98 Tyreke Smith Edge Ohio St. 6'3" 267 lbs.

I don't know what any of their stats are in their collegiate careers, but unless there's one who has had consistent production or one whose numbers have been increasing each year and has had double digit sacks at least once, I'm not sure what any of them may be worth. Hopefully, there'll be one worth consideration in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, if not, then that should probably have to wait until the 2022 draft rather than reaching out of need.

#107 NCJetsfan, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  7. NCJetsfan

Sigh. It's not either/or. It doesn't have to be a stud and two duds.

8. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Where do you think the Jets will be drafting? Let's say they go 8-8 like a lot of people think. That gets them drafting around 16th-ish. Where do you think Chase goes? Most sites show him currently as a top 4 player. So to go from 16 to 4, is going to cost you more than your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. But let's say he goes 10th. Moving from 16-10 will cost you your 3rd, 4th and 5th. Your 3rd round choice gets you to 13. Your 4th round draft choice gets you to 15. I just don't see how you move up to get Chase for a 3rd or 4th unless his play drops off significantly and then, do you really want him? And if the Jets are drafting so high that they can get him, they probably ahve a bunch of holes and a WR will not be top of the list. It's like when someone said to draft Sewell. Dude is probably going top 2 or 3. Does anyone think the Jest are going to draft that high? Or pay the price to get that high?

9. NCJetsfan

I think we could be drafting anywhere from inside the top 10 to maybe 20. There are just too many variables. While I have high hopes that the team will finish at least 8-8, if not 9-7, they could finish as low as 5-11. If they finish at 5-11, it doesn't mean that they have a bunch of holes and a WR would not be at the top of the list. There could be several reasons why they finish 5-11. For one thing, there will probably be no OTAs, mini-camps and an abbreviated TC and preseason. That and the team's tough schedule could cause them to stuggle early while the OL gels. They could suffer some key injuries again. Doctson and Perriman could prove to be pretty much what they have been their whole NFL careers, busts. Mims could not be ready for prime time yet. Gase could be as bad a HC as some here think. It could be a combination of all those things.

I wasn't the one who brought up trading up for Chase. I'm not a fan of trading up period, but especially when the team has had all the holes and depth issues the Jets have had. I was just responding and saying that I would only trade up if it only took a 4th or a 3rd, which means we'd only be moving up 1-5 spots. I'm not willing to trade any more picks than that. If Chase winds up a top 4 player and we're drafting 10 or lower, we should move on to another player or position. That said, many people thought Jeudy and Lamb could go in the top 10 this year and they didn't. There will be at least two topflight QBs in next year's draft, a top LB, a top LT in Sewell, and I'm sure there will be others. Chase could fall to us, or fall to two spots in front of us, and the team in front of us might want a WR. We could possibly leapfrog that team for a 4th or 3rd, but if others were trying to trade up for Chase as well, then it would cost more, perhaps considerably more.

Please don't try to twist my words and make it sound like I thought we could trade up 10 spots for only a 3rd or 4th. I didn't even intimate that. I said nothing about trading up from #16 to #4. When I said I'd only be willing to trade a 4th or at most a 3rd, that clearly meant that I would only be willing to trade up a few places in the draft.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

How much you guys think it will cost to go from 32 to top 5 for Chase?

11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Holmes blew his foot apart in 2012

In 2012 Plaxico wasn't a Jet, he was back in Pittsburgh

12. J-Raw24

Plaxico was horrible as a jet in 2011. Santonio was a waste of money in 2011 as a jet. 2012 was bad as well. But 2011 was when the receiver core started going south.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

2010 was a fun group of WRs. After that it went down hill.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. LF911SC

Any WR would put up shitty numbers with the Jets given their QB was horrible. Yardage and TDs weren't coming. Ever. Holmes was a lot better than fans make him out to be

Regardless, I never said a word about his play, just you had the seasons wrong. And 2012 was bad because he was injured and out 12 games

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

2011 was bad because he got paid and didn't have to work for money. I didn't get the season wrong. He was hot garbage in 2011 as well. So was Plaxico. And it wasn't the qb because the previous 2 years Braylon put up decent number with that same qb. Santonio put up decent number in 2010 as well. Fact is he got paid and laid down in 2011. He got hurt in 2012 but it didn't matter cause he already laid down. Sanchez wasn't good but in 2009 and 2010 he played well enough to keep us in games, the receivers and the front offices choices on receivers held him down.. 2011 was when we gave up on receivers and just had crap and Holmes was crap after he got paid.

16. LF911SC

Sanchez was a 3K per season passer. He was the problem, not the WRs.
    I could care less today though, it wasn't the point from the beginning

17. Tannenbaum said his biggest error w Jets was lack of talent at the skills.It started w Cotchery leaving.Jets have never recovered offensively.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We certainly don't have this "God Vision" that lets us see a year into the future, let alone 2 and beyond. (Did you expect covid 19 outbreak at the summer last year? That's not even a full year of foresight. No?)

19. J-Raw24

Here's a fun fact for ya. Brick only made the pro bowl 3 times in 10 season. He was one of the best anchors in the nfl his whole career. Was he mediocre? If Becton has anywhere near the career Brick did I'm happy. I have watched the kid since he arrived at UofL. I live about 45 minutes north of campus. He has been an amazing guy on and off the field. He has shown no signs of injury or weakness. The sky is the limit for this kid. He's way more athletic than you think. He takes care of himself well and knows where he needs his weight to be in the pros. I have no doubts he will be a pro bowler and a great anchor for the Jets.

MaximusD163, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.