Larry Warford Anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 8, 2020.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Winters missed half the year and played injured when he was there.
    Having a healthy Winters back is a big plus for Bell, something he definitely missed last season.
    Winters is our best run blocker.

In terms of Warford I’m very interested.
    Don’t see any way he plays for 7M tho. Not sure he’s several rungs up the ladder in run blocking either. Playing the Saints no teams are exactly stacking the box.
    All depends on the price tag for him.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

They should bring him in to replace Winters...assuming theres no major issues with him.Gotta wonder why NO would cut a Pro Bowl guard in his prime.Is it a cap space thing?

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And this has nothing do with the question, why does a $7 mil per, 3Xs pro bowler get dumped of a day 2 question. Money isnt enough, no matter how it's positioned. Tryi g to save money on a guy who can get your QB killed? Nah, there's something there, they would wait a year to see what the kid can do, then dump him.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Fant didn’t get half guaranteed. His only real guarantee is $9mm. Also his contract was not $30mm.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it's something to look at when offensive lineman are released from really good teams, especially when it's the only team they've found success. Warford wasn't a Pro Bowler with the Lions. He only became one when he played next to two All-Pro tackles. That's not to say he's not a good player, because I honestly can't say I've ever keyed in on the Saints guards. But I think if he was the second coming of Pete Kendall or Faneca for us we'd be all over it.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m assuming you meant to say Ruiz was a day 2 pick... he wasn’t. I mean look around the Internet, it’s all saying the same thing. Ruiz was drafted to be a starter (Payton literally said they didn’t draft him to be a backup), they needed cap space, they have two guys on rookie contracts that can play Warford’s position, Warford was in the last year of his deal. I think it’s really as simple as that. I’ve seen nothing anywhere to suggest otherwise.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

So what I could gather is Warford’s play fell off quite a bit last year. Between that and his 7.7 in cap savings (mind you they just signed Hill and Winston) they have more wiggle room in cap. Also Peat, who’s younger, can move around a bit more on the offensive line.

so it’s a matter of if you feel he’s an upgrade over Winters. His play wasn’t up to par from the previous years though. Do you take the gamble?

8. BacktoQueens

It was first reported that it was 30M, but it looks more like 27.3M. Close enough for point that Warford not signing for 7M per.
    I’m also seeing 13.3M guaranteed, with almost 9M right on signing.
    Where are you getting numbers, as overthecap is sometimes a little off?

To the original point what makes anyone think Warford will ink for 7M per tho?
    It’s no where near the going rate for a player like him unless there are some underlying issues we are not aware of.

9. LF911SC

Well yeah, I'd be all for a Kendall or Faneca, lol.

I'm not saying the guy is a problem. Just saying he wasn't cut strictly for dollars. I dont care how tight they are to the cap, you have a 3 time pro bowl, 28 year old under a more than reasonable contract. There have to be other cuts that make more sense.

10. LF911SC

Yeah, my bad.
    Still, I'm not about to dump a proven commodity to an unknown this year.
    I bet Payton is swearing his 1st round pick was drafted to start, they all should, that's what every team says. I'm still not dumping a 3 time pro bowler for a player unseen.
    Cut somewhere else if you have to. I think there's a reason he was the odd man out now. Whether its a clash of personalities or they weren't happy with him, I dont know

11. MaximusD163

Fant received $8.85mm fully guaranteed at signing. The additional guarantees only kick in if he is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2021 league year. Guarantees are a misused term, not your fault but it’s confusing stuff. So in reality the only guarantees in the truest sense of the word are the $8.85mm.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I highly doubt there’s anything to it besides money owed, a slip in play and a first round rookie that can play his position day one but regardless of all that... who cares? You can cut someone who isn’t good and bring in a guy who has been very good for equal money. On the surface there’s not a single reason not to pursue him hard.

13. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

I hope Joe D is right in what he sees in Winters. Winters seems very hot or cold, there was one season I was really impressed with his development; since then flatline. Got a strong feeling we are rolling with Winters.

14. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

My guess is that the theory regarding the Saints ' lack of cap space, plus the falloff in Warford's play, plus the Saints' decision to go with a younger, more flexible offensive line is correct. However, my brief look at Warford's tape last year compared to Winters' blew me out of the water regarding the tremendous difference in both pass blocking and in-line run blocking. Yes, Winters was hurt and still pulled better than Warford ever will, but the overall quality of Warford's play, even in decline, was better than I saw when Winters was at his best. In addition, I have zero confidence that Winters as he gets older will not at least duplicate his pitiful injury pattern.

15. BacktoQueens

I was just wondering if you had a better source on the numbers.

We can split hairs on whether Fant is making 9M or 9M+, depending on how many years of the contract he plays for.
    I still don't see how Warford would sign for only 7M per, as some here seem to be suggesting tho.
    Think he will get closer to 12M per based on market value.

16. MaximusD163

It has nothing to do with splitting hairs. How much Fant makes and how much he is guaranteed is just a fact, it’s not something up for interpretation. Having a salary not guarantee until a later year is the same as not having it guaranteed, except that it ensures that if he gets cut the player can engage in the first wave of free agency. That’s literally it.

Warford will take the best contract offered to him, which may not be much in these unsure times. I don’t know what his annual value will end up being.

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

A little clarification for everyone saying why cut Warford for $7 mill and those confusing $7mill savings with Warford's actual salary. He was due $12.9 million this season. The Saints have to eat the other $5 plus million in dead cap. They had to clear cap space to sign some of the draft class and they are 5 deep on the inside including back to back draft picks, 2019&2020.

18. BacktoQueens

If what Fant makes is simple fact, tell me how much exactly he makes per year on avg?
    It depends on how long he plays for.
    I don't disagree on the guarantees, as roster "guarantees' are like paper wins for agents. Means nothing.
    Can we just agree that he makes approx 9M per year avg for sake of this discussion?

If you look at what Olineman including Fant are making around the league, I don't see any way Warford takes 7M per unless something's up, or if his play slipped a lot more than we realize last year.
    Timing I suppose could be against him too.
    I'm a fan of his and the Saints team, but can't say that I studied his play last season.

19. BacktoQueens

That makes more sense then.
    As I mentioned above, I figured any new contract would be in that 12M per avg range as well, if not higher.

20. MaximusD163

Actually Fant makes approximately $9mm in real
    money per year no matter how many years he plays. But I digress.