Welcome to the Jets Denzel Mims!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 24, 2020.

1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I would like this pick a lot more if we had a legit WR to pair him with. To ask him to come in a be our top target is asking a lot. No Perriman is not a top wr

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Robby was very good, but not great.

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Saw the video of him talking to JD when he got drafted. Wasn't happy that he fell so much, wants to prove everyone wrong. Hope he does!

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm the first to be against Mims. He ran wild in the Big 12 and his production can't be questioned; he balled out. But he wasn't challenged much by the bullshit Big 12 cornerbacks nor did he run a very developed route tree. He just ran by the slower, crappier corners in a weak defensive conference.

With that being said; he's a physical specimen and has production to back them up. He ended up weighing more than I thought. He looks slender in his upper body to me but he should immediately be a solid deep threat given the speed and size.

I hope I'm wrong about him and with good talent development I will be. I also firmly believe we wanted Shawn Jefferson's son, Van, and we're shocked the Rams took him two picks before we grabbed Mims.

I hope he ends up being an Allen Robinson talent, minus the big injury.

#64 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    egelband likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

There is an upside and a downside to this kind of trait, he will be pissed that his pride got stung but if he does become great that same pride will want to paid the highest a WR has been paid.

Hopefully we will have the latter problem as that means at least 4 years of success.

Doreblade and Brook! like this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

egelband, Pepsiguy5, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mims is not WR13. He was just picked in that spot. He was my WR5.

NYJetsO12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Mims has all the traits you want in a WR. He now needs solid coaching because his floor is Stephen Hill.

With the lack of WR depth he’s going to be thrown in at the deep end whereas he would be much better having two modest seasons as a WR4/5 (600 yds, 5TDs or something) while he learns the game.

I love the pick but we can easily make this another second round disaster if we’re not careful.

egelband, Brook! and jilozzo like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If it gets to the point where he wants to be highest paid receiver then it means Sam is playing well & probably the whole offense is doing well.....what a terrible problem to have.

#69 BudJet, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Like i said, at least it will be hopefully 4 years of success.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Still hard to believe that we were able to grab Mims even with a trade back.

I am a BIG college football fan and love me some college football. I remember constantly hearing this kids name and constantly watching his highlights thinking he's going to be a star in this league. It was easy for his name to get lost with such a deep group of talent, but he was easily top 10 in that pool. He made some absolutely amazing catches in college and his footwork always surprised me. He had a knack for keeping his feet in bounds along the barrier even with crazy distortions to make a catch.

I am thrilled that we got this kid and I am excited as hell to see him work with Darnold. He should become a big target this year.

PJ4Ever, NYJetsO12 and themorey like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Meh..some of you guys are just SOJ mega critical lol

Mims like Brandon Marshall is a tall, physical receiver who can grab the ball over most CBs and wont be pushed around. Plus he has speed! We had some of our best years with him and I think JAG Fitz was our QB

Marshall 2015-2016 gave the Jets 109rep/1502y and the following year 59/788. This type of production wont happen overnight but I hope this kid has some goals

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree.

He's the same height as Robby Anderson but almost 20 pounds heavier.

He has an amazing talent at finding and tracking the ball and as I said in my previous posts, his ability to distort himself to make a catch is crazy.

Not to mention he ran a 4.3 in his 40 yard dash, which is the exact same as Robby Anderson.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sorry, his floor is not Stephen Hill. He’s better than Hill right NOW. I hated that Hill pick at the time (wanted Alston) but he was legit just fast. Mims has several more good traits and just bc he hasn’t run a full route tree doesn’t mean he can’t. He just hasn’t been asked to. Everybody knew Stephen hills route running sucked and always would except for the jets.

twown likes this.
  15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

While his route tree needs development, he has more technical refinement than some would imply. He has the tools to build on his route tree, he has quite a few different releases and his breaks sharp at times. I do believe he is a fringe first rounder in nearly any other draft year. His competition was not the greatest ever, but he didn’t rely exclusively on physical gifts as you might expect.

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

And Mims is the best blocking WR in the draft, both in technique and desire. The latter is something innate and not teachable. Paired with our OL improvements, I think Mims will have a big impact on not just the passing game but running game as well.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that.

I'm pretty optimistic about this guy. I'm a little opposite of my hope with him vs. Becton though. Where with Becton I hope they put him in at LT immediately and just don't have him focus on ANYTHING other than being the left tackle for now, later, and years to come I kind of hope they don't put too much on Mims too soon. I feel like WR, even some of the good ones, take awhile to develop, hone their craft, and "totally get it"

I guess I'm hoping the Jets opt to just do it right as opposed to do it fast with what looks like could be ultimately a wonderful player. Patience.

PulseJet likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good article. He could be a real sleeper. I hope he breaks the string of WR busts for the Jets.

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I just saw a notification on my phone from ESPN with rookie predictions. It listed Mims as predicted to have the most receiving TDs. Unfortunately the article is for insiders so i couldn't read it...but I like that Mims is getting some love.