2020 Jets Schedule

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 4, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Gase has never gone 4-12 in his life and that includes last year when he had to start a practice squad QB for 3 weeks and a practice squad offensive line for 8 / 10 ish weeks.

I think the bigger question is.. does he get fired if they finish 7-9

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I am kinda glad about @ Buffalo week 1.

I think it's a good measuring stick game, Buffalo is becoming the media's darling for some reason so it would be nice to shut that down. Hopefully they are reading the newspapers a lot on that Bills team.

Also, I don't think the season starts with fans in the stands. buffalo can be a tough environment, but if the stadium is empty it eliminates that. You catch them without the home field advantage, that's good

cgrec, mrjet80, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that it takes time for an OL to get its timing down, to get to know each other, how their linemates are likely to respond in certain situation, and develop chemistry, but I don't see any way that we should start 0-6. IMO that's just ridiculous. The caliber of each of our OL (outside of Lewis) is much better than the starting OL we had last season. They can win their one-on-one battles, and even with their play being a little spotty, inconsistent or even rough, the overall play should be infinitely better than last season's was at its best. With Mosley and maybe Williamson back, the addition of Davis, Desir, and maybe Hall, Wilson and Zuniga, the play of our top 10 D should be even better. Adding more speed at the WR position and having Herndon back, and with a season's experience in Gase's system for many of the offensive players, the struggles shouldn't be that bad. The Bills, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals and Chargers are all winnable games, and a strong case could easily be built that the Jets should beat the Colts, Broncos, Cardinals and Chargers at a minimum. If they start the season 0-6, then imo Gase probably should be fired, regardless if the team wins 9 of its next 10 games (no way they'll beat KC), and finishes 9-7.

Brook! and LAJet like this.
  4. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

he has never posted a 12 and 4 record either which do you think is more likely? You say he started a practice squad qb that he coached and brought in from miami so he needs to take blame for having that bad qb on the roster.
    Same with the oline he was here all off season he knew the strengths and weaknesses of the players and did not adjust

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I see 6-10 best case scenario...worst case 4-12.I just dont see enough on this team to pull off a winning season yet.And that includes the coaching staff..I think a good coach could win 8-10 games with this group.But theres not enough talent fot a bad coach like Gase to win..

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Adam Schein thinks Justin Herbert is going to lead the Chargers to a Super Bowl in LA so take that as you may.

FJF, Brook! and LAJet like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I can't stand Buffalo and that bum QB that can't complete a pass; the media endlessly sucks off Allen and the Bills.

Brook! likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gase did well when he had a great QB in Peyton Manning. I think Sam Darnold has potential to reach that level or close to it, so that is why I am optimistic about Gase. More to do with Sam, than him. I agree with all of what you wrote though. The Jets did take a big risk. I just don't get all these 4 win predictions. I don't think the team is good enough to win 12 games or something ridiculous like that, but (8-8) to (10-6) seems fair. Then take the next step in 2021. I also am not as high on Buffalo, New England, etc. If fans just assume those are 4 losses, then I guess I can see these low win total predictions. San Francisco, Kansas City and Seattle are clearly better teams than the Jets, but the rest is more of a toss up to me. Sam's ability is a large part of that. I think he can give the Jets the edge in some games due to being the best QB on the field.

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hear you. Schein is in total love with Buffalo. It would be a tremendous boost to our team’s confidence if we start out with a win. I don’t see it as that much of a reach.

#169 LAJet, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  10. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

LOL Tom Brady wasn't a factor in losing either of the games we lost to the Pats.

Adam Gase is our head coach... THAT'S HOW IT ADDS UP. He's one of, if not bottom 2 or 3 head coaches in the league. A perennial LOSER.
    We'd be lucky to win 5 games.

rammagen likes this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think FJF posted this a while back - there are only 2 teams on that schedule who I can confidently say have a better QB than us (Mahomes and Wilson). We should be in every single game if the defense plays like it did last year. The OL just needs to be average and the O will take an insane leap forward.

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

DK, CC, I agree with both of you. My biggest concern is AG. Unless he has had epiphany about his schemes, his PC and his use of players... I have NO faith in his coaching, period. Indeed, I keep reminiscing about the time last year - not sure of the game - where the team was in scoring position and Sam comes off the field frustrated and frankly a little lost and needing help/direction from his HC/OC and what does AG say... "you know what to do, go do it." The stunned look on Sam's face was priceless... . The other thing that really bugs me is when have you ever see him pull the O together and coach them in a game...like BB does at times. I do give him credit for not losing the locker room last year and 9-7 but....I haver serious doubts about his coaching capabilities and abilities.

Like CC, I hope the hell I am wrong.

13. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I can see us losing to Buffalo in Buffalo. If it was a home game I may think differently. But our Oline may not have chemistry, which is important, especially facing that defense. Our receivers may not have chemistry with Sam. Which is also important. And our secondary will be a work in progress. There is a good chance we lose... same with vs San Fran. That pass rush may pressure the oline that didn't have time for chemistry and they got better on offense by a small margin. The colt game is winnable, I have little faith in Rivers at this point in his career, BUT it he could easily surprise us. I see 1-2 but could easily be 0-3. Broncos don't really scare me, I think even with a late start to training camp out dline should gel by then and shutdown Von Miller. The offense there is meh, and Sam should be able to out duel Lock. Cards could cause some trouble. Not really afraid of the defense but I wouldn't count Murray out. Could go either way. The next 2 we should win. Walk over the tyrod chargers and cause a split with Buffalo. Chief will own us. So it we win one of the 50/50 games we will be 4-4 at the half. I also think we will most like split the rest of the divisional games. Lose to Seattle and Cleveland. And the other 2 are 50/50. We will be 7-9 again. Thought I could see worse. Cleveland and Oakland can easily beat us and our line could take longer to get chemistry. My guess is between 5-11 and 7-9. With Gase I'm guessing closer to 5-11

#173 J-Raw24, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Brook! likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but here's how I see our season going. I think the two biggest determining factors that will decide whether we wind up 5-11 or 9-7 are how long it takes the OL to gel and the play of the WRs. I think our D will be very good. If the OL can gel quickly, if Perriman plays like he did at the end of last season rather than earlier in his career, Mims can contribute early, and if Herndon returns to the form of his rookie season, I think we will go 9-7 and maybe even 10-6. If the OL struggles for the first 2-3 weeks, and we still get strong contributions from Perriman, Mims and Herndon, I still think we can finish at least 8-8. If the OL gels quickly, but we get little production from those three receivers, then we'll probably do well to finish 7-9, if not 6-10. If the OL struggles and we get little production from those three receivers, then we may not win 6 games. One big thing in our favor will be having Mann as our Punter. I truly believe that he is going to be a real weapon for us and when we have to punt, he's going to keep opponents pinned deep in their own territory and they're going to have to march the length of the field. When we go 3 and out deep in our end of the field, he will flip the field, and opponents will still be starting inside their 10 or maybe 15 yard line. That is going to enable us to win a game or two that we would have lost otherwise. Other big factors will be if Mosley stays healthy, if Desir returns to his form of 2018, and if Wilson returns to his level of play in 2017, Austin emerges strong, or Hall wins the #2 CB spot and plays well, I think our D will steal a game or two for us.

This is how I see our schedule should play out:

Week 1 @ BUF Loss 0-1
    Week 2 v SF Loss 0-2
    Week 3 @ IND Win 0-3
    Week 4 v DEN Win 1-3
    Week 5 v ARI Win 2-3
    Week 6 @ LAC Win 3-3
    Week 7 v BUF Win 4-3
    Week 8 @ KC Loss 4-4
    Week 9 v NE Win 5-4
    Week 10 @ MIA Win 6-4
    Week 11 BYE
    Week 12 v MIA Win 7-4
    Week 13 v LV Loss 7-5
    Week 14 @ SEA Loss 7-6
    Week 15 @ LAR Win 8-6
    Week 16 v CLE Win 9-6
    Week 17 @ NE Loss 9-7

Assuming our OL gels quickly and we get solid contributions from our receiving corps (including TEs), we could finish 10-6, but that's probably too much to expect. SF, Seattle & KC are definite losses. We'll probably split with Buffalo and NE, but could lose both to Buffalo. Indy will be a tough game. If Rivers plays well, it could easily be a loss, but I'm thinking we should win that game. If we lose to Buffalo in the opening game and get blown out the week before at home vs SF, then we'll probably lose to Indianapolis as well, but it will be interesting to see if Gase can rally the team and get their first win on the road. Denver shouldn't give us too much trouble, but if Lock gets time and Jeudy and Sutton get open and play well, we could lose to Denver. We should win both the Chargers and Rams games. We should beat Miami twice. The Raiders and Browns games are tossups, I think we could, and perhaps should win both games, but figure we'll lose one or both. If all of their rookie WRs can contribute and Carr has time to scan the field, we could lose.

Brook! likes this.
  15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think we go 2-4 in the division.

We def lose to the 49ers, Seahawks, Chiefs and very likely the Rams in LA.

The other 6 games I'll call 50/50, or 3-3.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Weird schedule but at least the Jets aren't going into Foxboro on a short week after MNF. That's one of the usual screw the Jets moves by the schedule makers. Instead they go to Miami for the first of a home and home. That game is also a 4:05 start for some reason so they get a few extra hours of rest during the short week. Also they get to stay home for the Thursday night game against the Broncos with a short week to prepare.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well Sam MAY become great, but Manning was already great - a HOF'er waiting for induction. That's a huge difference. Manning could read a defense and make adjustments without blinking an eye, and from as often as we heard "Omaha! Omaha!" from him that was almost every play. Sam no doubt has improved with experience, but he's nowhere near as capable to override bad playcalling like Manning was. That, coupled with the seeming lack of ability to make adjustments by Gase is a major concern for me. I'll believe it when I see it

I agree that 4-12 is unlikely, but it's still possible. If they get off on a losing streak early, they might not be able to recover. That said, I think 7-9 is about what they'll achieve. Then it will come down to HOW did they achieve it? Did they beat a couple of playoff teams, and all the teams they're competitive (on paper) with? Or did they lose to some very beatable teams? Were they in most games, or were they blown out or beaten handily by the better teams and squeak by the ones they did beat? Did most players - especially Darnold - improve? These questions are actually more important as to whether Gase should be kept or fired than pure W/L record.

Again, I'll be happy to be proven wrong because that means Gase and the team did well. but until I do see it, I'm doubtful.

rammagen likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if the NFL is forced to go with 14 games? Which 2 games would go?

Manish:

What if it becomes necessary to cut games off the schedule? Which games would get whacked?

Well, the league provided a hint by scheduling no division games for any teams in Weeks 3 and 4. So, they would be the first two to go.

That’s not good for the Jets.

Gang Green is scheduled to travel to Indianapolis in Week 3 before hosting the Broncos on Thursday night in Week 4. Although neither is a layup, both are winnable games. If the NFL turned it into a 14-game season, the Jets would still play eight games against teams with winning records from last season.

19. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Always have to be careful with teams coming off a Super Bowl appearance and saying we'll def lose to them. Of course you can't be optimistic when you play the Chiefs or 9ers, but Supe Bowl hangovers and blah seasons following up on championships and near championships are quite common.

It was forever ago but I do recall the Jets sweeping Buffalo in 1994 after they went to a Super Bowl (their final). We get the 49ers at home. Should be an electric atmosphere for that game

Brook! likes this.
  20. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I can see us beating Buffalo week one. We should've beaten them last year week 1 if we didn't have a braindead kicker. The was a hideous fluke loss. Granted the game is in Orchard Park which will make things tougher. Allen is such a wild card though, and out D (already pretty good) will be even better. That game will be a fight and whoever wins will do it by 5 pts or less I feel.

Brook! likes this.