Joe Namath?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Patriot, May 8, 2020.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Perhaps this subject has already been brought up if so, I am sorry for being repetitive.

Joe Namath has probably the best footwork of any QB in history in the pocket when his knees were not an issue. Bill Walsh would spend hours studying his mechanics to teach Montanna.

So why would the Jet's organization not be interested in hiring him to mentor or coach QBs?

Maybe I am missing something here? It seems like an obvious thing to do.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you watch TV? Do you think Joe Willie has any time in between all of those Medicare commercials?

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This idea that great players will automatically be good coaches and that they should want to coach is baffling to me. where does it come from?

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

While you're at it why don't the Patriots bring back John Hannah to coach their offensive line? Greatest O lineman in their history by far. Also learn how to write Jets. Lose the apostrophe as it makes you look like a 5 year old wrote it, Shakespeare.

Ralebird, joe, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

HA, they should bring in Hines Ward to coach WRs too, right?

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No, I think it has to be a former jet so al toon, Wayne Cherbet, Wesley Walker would all be acceptable.
    Curtis martin- running backs coach
    Mickey Schuler tight ends
    Nick Mangold o line
    Joe Klecko d line
    Marvin Jones lbers
    Darrell Revis DBs
    Did I get this right?

stinkyB, boozer32 and J-Raw24 like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dude. He is a legend. Bring him back as coach? What you smoking?

joe and JetsNation06 like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe as our hydration coach?

Joe D MVP and GreenWhiteandGold like this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

He's living off the royalties from "The Wedding Ringer".

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In all honesty though, some of the best coaches in all sports were awful players. The best baseball managers are usually former backup catchers (Girardi, Hinch, Matheny, etc.).

It takes a special person to be able to teach the game to players. Joe Namath never struck me as someone who could coach. Out of all former Jets players, I always thought Bart Scott and Brandon Marshall could do a good job. A lot of coaching is finding a way to relate to a player while maintaining respect.

11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I don't see it in Marshall. But Josh McCown I can see becoming a coach. Like you said its usually the ones that help the clipboard for a while or road the bench and observed the game most their career. Granted McCown started some but he has a lot of knowledge and knows multiple offenses. I could see him translating well.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sure, he’ll teach Sam how to snort blow and get laid. Swell.

stinkyB, JetsNation06 and J-Raw24 like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

.. .Shoo. . . go away, .like brady.

. . [​IMG]

JetsNation06, J-Raw24 and Dierking like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yep, rarely is this true. Look at Ted Williams for a prime example. "Them that can do. Then that can't , teach". There's a lot of truth in that saying. Great athletes are gifted with natural ability. Sure, they may work hard to improve upon it, but they start from a place far ahead of "normal" people. Even if they could describe how they do what they do, trying to teach someone with lesser ability becomes too frustrating. Whereas those who aren't born with these natural gifts have to study and think about and watch others in detail to try and achieve some level of competence, and along the way learn how to convey this knowledge to others.

As to the specific topic, if Namath thought he could be a coach he would've become one.

Noam and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it's the same in any sport, in the music world, and probably with writers and painters as well. Most of the greatest opera singers were natural singers. They never had to study to develop their vocal range, the quality of tone, the power, etc. They just had the natural coordination and talent. Those singers don't know how they do what they do, they just open their mouths and the glorious sound comes out. They have no clue how to teach someone else to do what they do. Back in '87 I studied for a short time with world-renowned tenor Franco Corelli who was one of the greatest operatic tenors ever. He had no clue how to teach another singer how to sing like he did, and in fact his own career ended early because he started tinkering with his technique because he thought he was working too hard, over-supporting. As a result, he lost that natural coordination, and the confidence in how he sang.

The best teachers/coaches are usually those who themselves had to work hard to learn to do their craft. They had to learn the muscle groups involved with the right coordination and technique, and remember what it was like not to know, and then develop strategies/ways to teach the correct technique and coordination to others.

#15 NCJetsfan, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’d have made a fabulous coach.

17. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

because he’s a drunk embarrassment to the franchise.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ugh, no need to go there, that's really not fair. He cleaned himself up so there was a fringe benefit to that debacle. I don't in any way condone what he did, but I said at the time, you know, they should've protected him a little bit by not sticking a mic in his face after they saw where it was going; which is not the same thing as saying they should've enabled him. Everyone around him knew he was loaded, and he was on a fast track to dying a slow death, but they kept rolling the cameras even after it was obvious how shit-faced he was. It was mildly funny in the moment, but when you see if now, it's just painful and sad. Namath was in a lot of physical pain, his marriage was long kaput, he was lonely, the whole thing.

I stick by my assertion to this day that if it was any other QB they would've been more politic about it. Think if it was Jim Kelly for example that happens? Namath fully owned it, deeply apologized to Suzy Kolber, and never drank abusively again. He shouldn't be given a medal for stopping something he shouldn't have been doing in the first place, but he shouldn't be castigated for that self-inflicted loss of dignity any longer, either. What IS funny about it is that it happened right after the Jets made him the ambassador for the team. You can't make it up. Jets are gonna Jet, even if it's Joe Willie. :/

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They probably can't afford him. Coaching is a 365 days a year job. There is the team, scouting duties, managing film study. Most star players aren't great coaches. Lombardi, Walsh, Paul Brown, Sid Gilman, Tom Landry all so so players. Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Tony Dorsett, Troy Aikman none of them wanted anything to do with coaching.

20. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

I will never forgive him for that!!!