Jets sign Frank Gore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 5, 2020.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Maybe TY wasn't the guy we thought he was, who knows. Hopefully with Gore on short yardage he can be utilized along with Bell. We will see. Ty isn't on a team right now.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Here is a little hoping that Gore can do for Gase what Bart did for Rex. (True, Rex had more than one help - he had a backfield help in Jim Leonhard as well.)

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's just odd to me because what other purpose does Montgomery serve? He's out there to be a pass-catcher that can run if he has to. The plan was so simple that even Gase said it before the season started then completely disregarded it. What were they one the field together for like 5 snaps? Inexcusable. I like Gore's leadership, I like what he brings to the locker room and I think there are ways to use him that make sense but at this point in time there's no reason to believe we'll employ the correct gameplan.

Also, we're going nowhere. Let Perine get reps. Even as a fourth round rookie he probably would give you just as much if not more than Gore will.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bsam… not trying to be argumentative but is how can you justify the highlighted statement. How do you know that statement is true. How do you know that Gore had other takers? Frankly, he had 37 carries the last six games with the bills... so in my mind this is all about culture they are trying to build... leadership and mentoring. However, not sure I agree with your assessment.

5. BroadwayAaron

I was being extremely sarcastic....

And Gore said he had to choose between the Jets and Raiders so he chose his old friend.

6. 101GangGreen101

How do you know we aren't going anywhere? Games need to be played, I can see a role for all 3 backs on this team. Gore, you know on a 4th and 1 he's going to get that first down.

7. BroadwayAaron

At this point I'll celebrate if Gase just doesn't call a pass play on 4th and 1.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Gore said he had an offer from the Raiders & he chose the Jets to play for Gase.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

4th and 1 yeah but the best scenario for Gore is 3rd and 3. Because it could be a pass or a run, the defense doesn't know with him in there.

The rookie Perine, you know its a run because likely he isn't a pass blocker. Montgomery last year, you knew it was a pass because he's not the type to run it between the tackles.

and the average NFL team faces a lot of 3rd and 3s

LF911SC and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I thought so but wasn't sure ….

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Probably goes back to 2008 when they needed each other and Gase's ego hadn't yet overrun any sense of humility.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

*Gase

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/frank-gore-chose-the-jets-over-the-raiders/

Why Frank Gore chose the Jets over the Raiders

Frank Gore had a choice between the Jets and the Raiders, and the veteran running back picked Gang Green to be reunited with coach Adam Gase.

“I got an opportunity to get back with a good friend and a guy I respect, and I’m happy that he wanted me to be on his team,” Gore told NFL.com. “And I’m happy to be around a guy who has done some great things in this league in Le’Veon Bell. That can motivate me. And I can help out the young kid that they just drafted, La’Mical Perine.”

Gore played for Gase in 2018 with the Dolphins and also knew him from Gase’s year as a 49ers assistant in 2008. The Jets agreed to a one-year deal with Gore on Tuesday and he will now backup Bell and mentor Perine, a fourth-round pick out of Florida. Gore is third on the all-time rushing list and gives the Jets a veteran presence in the locker room.

Gore, who turns 37 next week, spent last season with the Bills.

“You will never be that young guy again, but when I looked at myself on film last year in Buffalo, you couldn’t tell my age,” Gore said. “I’m talking about when I was playing a lot in the first half of the season — like when I played against New England the first time, when I was playing against Cincinnati, when I was playing against the Jets and Giants. Before the bye week (Week 6), I was pushing for 1,000 yards.”

13. Footballgod214

Nice to see ANY FA chose the Jets over a rival. I'm so used to having the pay xtra $ just to get someone to play here.

I know it's only Gore, but still.

For what it's worth, I read last week that the Jets are on the short list for Clowney too. Guess he loves the Jets D and Gregg Williams.

14. 101GangGreen101

Indeed, Im thinking any scenario... Thomas Jones 4th and 1 ... first down ...any of those scenarios having depth at the position with a short yardage back like Gore works for me. Jets struggled in short yardage last year as we all know.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Just noticed the other Gore thread....move this one to that one....txs

16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Eh let him be RB coach and sign some vet WRs

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Powell isn't here. He's a FA. Was that a typo, or do you think that as soon as they trade Bell, they'll bring back Powell?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Powell does too many things not to find a spot on this roster. That's true whether Bell is here or not.

My guess is that Powell is looking for more money than the Jets want to spend, even on a one year deal. My guess is that as we get closer to camp Powell will come back on a cheap deal, like he did last year, because where else can he make a million dollars next year?

It's possible that the Jets just want no part of him at this point but it is hard to see why that would be the case given he basically has no weaknesses in his game and RB is a position where people drop like flies some years.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if Powell wanted too much money. He played last year on a cheap deal. He knows his career is all but over. He can still play, and I was/am surprised that the Jets haven't re-signed him. IMO he's better than Dixon or Adams or Cannon, and may still be better than Perine. Now that they've signed Gore, I don't see Powell coming back.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maybe so. He is 31 and he possibly slowed down last year, although the bad OL makes that murky - just a real possibility due to age.

The guy Powell can look to for inspiration is John Henry Johnson, a utility FB for much of his career with several teams, who suddenly turned it on at 31 when the Steelers gave him the starting job. He rushed for 4300+ yards the next 5 seasons and made 3 Pro Bowls. Aside from QB's and Jerry Rice he did more late career progression from a skill position perspective than any player in NFL history.

He worked hard, did a lot of things well and survived his early injuries to become one of the most inspirational professional athletes.

Powell's career to date looks a lot like Johnson's and he works hard, does a lot of things well and has survived his early injuries.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.