Jets sign Frank Gore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 5, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This would be tremendously stupid but also seems tremendously likely.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It wouldn't be stupid. It would mean the Jets are committed to giving their young RB a significant number of touches in committee with Powell and Gore. It would mean they are likely out of the star RB market unless they find a cheap one through the normal talent development process.

The Jets never should have signed Bell in the first place. It was a desperation move by an over matched GM who did not understand how to assemble a winning NFL roster. It was a marketing move by a team that is masterful at marketing in the off-season and miserable at winning when the players take the field.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ and JetBlue like this.
  3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think some folks are over analyzing this. He’s a solid veteran presence and he will likely teach perine like he did Devin singletary last year.

there is no downside to this

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Powell might not come back, so the Jets are going to split 300+ carries between Perine and Gore?

5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this is at least hedging bets

personally i was very unimpressed with Bell last year (fully appreciating there were many other issues and bigger problems on offense)

At a minimum Gore will bring professionalism

I'd love nothing more than Bell to re-surface as a dynamic force on offense but count me as skeptical of us ever seeing that and this may presage a move

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Br4d

Powell always comes back. He's like the stray pony that always finds his way back to the corral by sundown.

blackssmagic and SOJAZ like this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It remains to be seen if this model has changed in Jets land. Some questionable moves this off season between the draft and FA. I have my reservations and we'll have to see how this plays out.

8. Br4d

It's always wise to be skeptical in Jets-land.

That said, with the exception of the Fant signing I don't see anything this off-season that looks all that odd. The Fant thing is really a 1 year $9M deal with extended options for the Jets. Seems like a lot but if he turns into a passable OT for the Jets it is a bandaid until they find the starter opposite Becton. If he turns into a good player obviously it is a bargain. We'll have to wait and see on this one.

CotcheryFan and JetsNation06 like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Feels like they replaced Powell with Perine. I don't mind that they signed Bell, obviously the price is extremely high, at this juncture better off getting as much value as you can with him on the field to help you win.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fuckin Adam Gase! Such a cancer!!

"I got an opportunity to get back with a good friend and a guy I respect, and I'm happy that he wanted me to be on his team," the running back said of Gase, per Jim Trotter of NFL.com. "And I'm happy to be around a guy who has done some great things in this league in Le'Veon Bell. That can motivate me. And I can help out the young kid that they just drafted, La'Mical Perine."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...tract-with-adam-gase-jets-instead-of-retiring

11. BroadwayAaron

A 37 year old RB on a one year deal. I knew having Gase at the helm would pay extreme dividends.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

Gase is such an asshole! Bell on instagram seemed happy Gore was coming here.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

For Bell it’s probably great. Gore strikes me as a guy that every RB in the league would love to learn from. The problem is when he actually gets the ball.

14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Gase is a fucking dickhead. Bell is a good dude for being a good sport about this. Also Bell was one of the only players in the first half of the season to be publicly supportive of the team, let alone Gase. I remember Bell in the lockerroom after one of our many awful games last season saying "We're close. We're close." Despite anything I heard about his past. That showed real character for me. About Gore, he's old, don't mind having him but what can he really do?

What's going on with Powell?

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I don't see them carrying only 2 backs in any scenario, Especially not a rookie and a guy going into his 15th season. If the jets moved on (traded) Bell I'm sure they would pick up a back like LaMar Miller, Dante Freeman or Carlos Hyde.

I'm interested to see Kenneth Dixon personally. We will be fine at RB

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's a cancer. No one wants to play for him, not even Hall of Fame running backs.

101GangGreen101 and barfolomew like this.
  17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Make Bell a full time WR at this point.

18. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Not even Darnold.

19. 101GangGreen101

Short yardage back, I don't mind it. You can put Gore in the back-field let Bell catch some passes.

20. BroadwayAaron

Who called Gase a cancer? Who said no one wants to play for him? Would love to see these quotes because whoever said that was being dramatic. Speaking of being dramatic... I know that a 37 year old RB on a one year deal is an unbelievably strong argument for players wanting to play for Gase, but I think you're getting a little carried away here.

It makes perfect sense right? Almost as much sense as putting your two pass-catching backs on the field at the same time and being creative with your offense but....

ColoradoContrails likes this.