Jets place WR’s Enunwa and Bellamy on PUP list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, May 5, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I looked back and saw who said it. I respect both of their opinions immensely, but disagree with them in this instance.

K'OB likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

2022 is the time thanks to his contract.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

[
    I agree, but don't forget that there is an agent involved. I think Quincy knows that he wasn't worth the deal that Mac gave him, especially the guaranteed money, and guaranteed for injury. Quincy has given the Jets nothing on that contract. He might want to retire and help the Jets, but there's no reason to think he would. Even if so, there's no way his agent would allow him to do that, because the agent wants his money, and if Quincy retires and walks away from the money, the agent doesn't get his. The only way I could see this ending sooner is if Douglas can get Quincy and his agent to do a deal under the table which would have Quincy retire, cutting the Jets cap dead money hit, and the agent and Quincy get paid now 40-50% of what they would have received over the next couple of years.

K'OB likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Even though I agree with you in principle, there are a couple of points with which I don't agree. They are the three consecutive sentences that I bolded. Douglas, like most GMs, don't draft just because of need. It is at best, always a mixture, of BPA and need. Also, GMs look to improve the overall talent and speed on the roster, and at players on their roster whose contracts are about to expire, and if they think that they are going to allow that person to walk in FA and don't already have a young player they are grooming to replace him, they will draft one a year early, rather than waiting until the year that player walks. Douglas, and I'm guessing Williams, saw plenty of reason to take Davis. I don't hate the pick. I don't like not taking a 2nd WR in the 3rd round, but I think the Davis kid has a great talent and potential, and could be a very, very good and exciting player on the back end of our D.

What makes you think Zuniga was drafted two rounds early? Is that because that's how you rated him or some media "expert" rated him? Sorry, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't think Douglas would have reached two rounds lower out of desperation. Zuniga supposedly has the most explosive first step of any edge in this draft. It's risky because of his injury history, which limited his opportunities to get more production. He's a hard work, leader, has great athleticism, plays hard, is good against the run, and while not the ideal pass rusher, Douglas obviously felt he was a better prospect and had more of the character traits he wants for the team than Baun, Okwara, Weaver, Robinson or any of the other Edge prospects left at that point in the draft. I get it. I'm every bit as frustrated as you (and probably more) that Douglas didn't take a 2nd WR in the 3rd round.

As far as trading for Quincy Wilson with our last 6th round pick, I disagree. Quincy Wilson has a lot of talent, is still young, and was a 2nd round draft pick a couple of years ago. Don't forget that our CB, while seemingly much improved, is still a work in progress. Outside of Desir, only Maulet and Austin had any playing experience in the NFL. Also don't forget that one of our personnel people (Hogan?) left us, worked for the Colts a few years, and is now back with us. I'm sure he was very high on Wilson. Wilson may not work out, but I think there's a much greater chance of his working out and being a solid contributor to the team than any of the WRs who were left in the 6th round.

Just because we wanted more emphasis and draft capital used on the WR position in the draft, doesn't mean that the picks/moves that Douglas made that resulted in our not getting a 2nd WR were bad. We'll see over the next couple of years. I have criticized Douglas more than any other poster here since the draft. For a day or two, I was the ONLY poster bashing Douglas. I am trying to move past that, give him the benefit of the doubt and see how things play out. I hope that you can as well. I respect your opinion greatly, but I think the rationale behind your opinion is flawed in each of these three situations.

I think it is totally fair to say that Douglas should have made WR more of a priority to ensure that we have a great corps of young WRs to help Sam and the offense to develop and flourish. If he had done that, then he probably would have taken Edwards in the 3rd round instead of Davis at #68 or Zuniga at pick #79 or a WR in the 4th round. The only reasons I can see that he wouldn't have would be if they didn't have Edwards or the remaining WRs rated very highly for some reason, or he didn't see it as the glaring need that we do. Obviously, he doesn't see WR as the glaring need that we do. He may think that while it is not ideal, Sam will be fine with the receiving group (including TEs and RB) that we now have (and might add before the season starts), and that he will address WR again next offseason in FA and the Draft. If so, I hope that he is right and we are wrong. That's what will be best for the team.

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

While I hope so as well the safety again was a bad pick. Safety, much like running back, has lost value over the year. There is a reason there are always 5 good safeties available every year in FA. Unless they are great, like Adam's, they are not worth high dollar. So Maye with his stone hands will not command much, and if he does he is easily replaced by the ones always looking for work. Unless Davis somehow becomes Ed Reed this was a wasted pick. Zuniga while he has a nice first step has never been able to finish plays. Injuries aside. He can get in the backfield but doesn't get the sacks he should, even when healthy. Again that could change. But unless he becomes the double digit sacks guy we have needed it was as well a waste. Hidden production is in plenty on the jets. We need more. The reason the corner was a waste is because we now have Desir, Austin, Hairston, Poole, Hall, Maulet, Jackson, Wilson, and Guidry... maybe more. Austin should get a chance. Desir will start. Hall is a great prospect and could start. Jackson will most likely surprise and make the team. We traded recently for Hairston (Another 6th). We will carry 6.... could have definitely used a wr over a corner.

Yes drafting BPA is nice if you don't have huge holes. But we did. And several of the receivers we passed on will mostly have better careers than the players we took. The best way to draft is BPA at a position of need when you are built like we are. If there isn't a player there that fits that you try to trade back.

#85 J-Raw24, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fixed for accuracy

Br4d, Cman68, 101GangGreen101 and 3 others like this.
  7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You should make a poll on this because I highly doubt there may have been a handful that even had the mere thought Quincy was going to make any significant contribution. I certainly did not even include him on the roster, not for even 1 game because I had expected the Jets to terminate him.

8. im also referring to Jets twitter not just TGG.Sometimes it all blends together.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  9. K'OB

A bit heavy that Bomber mate, it is only a neck injury :eek:

:D

10. K'OB

That's worse than just here lol there be real life nutters on twitter ;)

11. Right on.

@BroadwaySam wasnt exaggerating.There was borderline threats & baseless insults on there for anyone who even suggested taking a WR before Round 3 OR mentioned how similar draft strategy destroyed us in 2014

These were the same folks backtracking after the draft trying to sell this WR group as anything but vastly below average & suggesting Enunwa is/was part of the mix.

#91 KurtTheJetsFan, May 6, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2020
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Predraft Twitter is always a fun place especially this year. Even when in reality I was ok taking OT but my priority was WR, it was so tempting to dangle the bait out there and watch the sharks flock. TAKING A WR IS DUMB, IT DOESNT MATTER WHO IS AT WR IF SAM IS ON HIS BACK, POSITIONAL VALUE, ARGHHHHH

Sadly I didn’t even see people justifying not taking a WR because Enunwa might be healthy. If they did that then at least it would show they have somewhat thought it through. These people just react with rage because they’ve been told by every middle aged football analyst on the tv and internet that the only thing that matters is OL, so that’s how they operate.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. K'OB

Ah, is that where you got the Enunwa bit from lol I find the internet so reactionary at times, don't get me wrong I am like that as well but some seem to love to be like this I just get provoked :D:D:D

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We need a veteran with a higher floor. Mims will take time learning the position in the NFL and Perriman is a question mark. Right now Crowder is the only receiver that I 100% trust will pick up where he left off last year. There is still little bit of time left to make moves though. There will be the June 1st cuts and training camp cuts (though I think that will be a little too late), perhaps we can trade one of our additional later picks next year to take a swing at discontented vet a la Brandon Marshall situation. The team doesn’t seem like it wants to hang onto Winters, Williamson, and Anderson if they get something for them so I think we can get creative.

All Gas No Shake and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

LOL, a bit :p

K'OB likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. It (Davis) was a bad pick in your opinion, and you are in the vast minority.

With the NFL being a passing league, the FS position has not lost value. Sorry, but I totally disagree. CBs can't cover everyone. There are not 5 good safeties available in FA every year, either. You're mistaken or using hyperbole to try to justify your opinion.

Saying that Zuniga has never been able to finish plays is also inaccurate.

The odds of a 6th round WR even making the team, much less contributing are slim and none. The only way trading the pick for Wilson would be a waste is if he doesn't make the team, and I'm thinking he will, and if Williams can get him to return to form, he could be one of our two starters, and help us for years. Injuries happen, teams need depth, and Douglas wants increased competition. I'm sure that Austin will get a shot. They may be worried about his injury history, or may not be that high on him because Williams had to bench him. The more players we have competing for the 6 CB spots on the roster, the better the ones we wind up with will be. Who was the WR the Jets could have taken in the 6th round that would have been better than a CB who has been a starter and played pretty well at times in his career? Only 5 WRs were taken the rest of the draft: Dezmon Patton, Freddie Swain, KJ Hill, Jauan Jennings, and Tyrie Cleveland. I like Cager and Campbell's chances better than I do any of those 5.

I don't like ignoring needs to go BPA, either, but I understand it and GMs are going to do that, and there's nothing we can do about it.