General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Remakes in general do not hold up and only RARELY equal or exceed the original. What I never understood was remaking movies that were marginal at best or absolute dogshit at worst in the first place.

No offense to TDK or anyone else who loves the super hero genre, but I am so sick of it, sick of it to the point where the subject matter bores me so comatose that I refuse to even sit through something that I might be missing out on.

I've already said all of this before but I'm saying it again because I think it merits a repeat. That, and whatever happened to original thinking? Every time you turn around another comic book movie is lurking around the corner. Enough already.

I'm also going to say something that is pure sacrilege but I'm saying it anyway because I just have to get it off my chest. I fucking hate Star Wars. Rather all of it except maybe the first 3, which I'm BARELY tepid on in the first place. I bet you're glad I didn't say lukewarm! o_O

I'd rather crap my pants in public than sit through any of the other unnecessary hundreds of other installments. There, I said it and I'm glad. That comes with some caveats and disclaimers, but wow, that felt great. Fck Star Wars, it sucks (Tourettes outburst)! Oops.

EDIT & P.S.: RIP Carrie Fisher. I really liked her as person, and I really like Mark Hammil. They're not mutually exclusive. Oh, and I hear his voicework on 'Batman' cartoons is genius, but I'll probably never feel compelled enough to find out. Oh, well.

#441 jetophile, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I just found the other night that YouTube has both old versions of 1984. But you have to pay for the 1984 remake with John hurt

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

None taken! :)

I just watched the new Chris Hemsworth movie on Netflix: Extraction. Not great, but some pretty cool action scenes.

Watched the new Jerry Seinfeld stand up special too. Funny, as always!

4. jetophile

Hah, speaking or re-makes. The er, 1984 version of '1984' is far superior to the 1956 version. One of those rare instances. It's so oppressive, which is precisely the point. I loved John Hurt as an actor and was really sad when he passed. I have only two minor cuts on the movie. One is that I wish John Hurt's Winston Smith could've been developed just a bit more. More what's inside his head kind of thing. I mean, we see his suffering and flashbacks of when he was a kid, the starvation and the chocolate bar scene immediate post-war, but how someone made to be so dead inside by outside forces could be moved to love so deeply, I think that was a just a TOUCH off? Maybe? I don't know; but still a BRILLIANT kickass performance.

The other small hit is Richard Burton. He doesn't strike me as menacing as he's supposed to. Kind of cardboard cut-outish? Anyway, the movie had somewhat mixed reviews, but I'm on the plus side of the fence. Very effective, deeply depressing, I had a vague sense of paranoia when the credits rolled that followed me around for a few days. And of course, very sad. What's worse than unrequited love? Well, it wasn't unrequited. It was crushed to bits, which makes it sadder. What a terrible feeling I had in my chest. A lot of people thought it was boring and that it sucked, but you have to go into it with a little background, already knowing what you signed up for, or don't waste your time. Not for everyone.

Oh, and the irony is that Youtube is playing it. Talk about Big Brother. I had Bowie's '1984' album playing in my Studio a couple of weeks ago. Very prescient, no? I even posted a song in the music thread. It's not coming, it's here. :/

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just watched Guy Ritchie's The Gentleman.

Loved it.

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I saw it so long ago when I was young I barely remember it, and probably didn’t understand it as I would now. For $3.99,I’m definitely gonna rent it again. While I know that “social distancing” is important right now, maybe it also has other intentions? Always some fun conjecture if you’re of the nutty mind like I am lol.

7. jetophile

Will I waste my time because Charlie Hunnam fucking sucks as an actor or is his part minor enough that I can ignore him and not let it ruin the movie? I'll be honest, that's why I didn't see it in the theatre. He's horrible. I'm gonna bring this full circle and possibly get a lot of flack for this, but I HATED 'Sons of Anarchy', and I hated it in no small measure BECAUSE of him. I mean, one thing about English actors is that they are stunningly good at American accents and can pass with general ease. It's pretty amazing. Hunnam on the other hand, ooofa. I mean, why does he keep sounding like he kept company with the Queen when no-one else on the show is fucking British? Brutal. I couldn't stop from groaning long enough to give half of a shit about anyone else.

Also, I thought the show was flat out ludicrous, over-acted, horrid script, just generally sucked, went on for wayyyyy too many seasons, musical interludes were agonizingly long, and Jackson couldn't get demolished fast enough for my trouble. Jesus God, would someone, anyone, just run this guy the fuck over? I'LL PAY YOU. That, and now every fool in this country keeps naming their kid Jackson. Or worse, Jaxson. As much as I love my country and would die for it without blinking that doesn't mean I don't go, "WHY AMERICA?" at least once a week. What was this about again? 'The Gentlemen'. Right.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

he plays a major role.

9. jetophile

:/ Well, if you loved it, I guess he didn't ruin the movie. Did he get a coach and get better at it or is he allowed to just be English? He probably would be world's better in either case.

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Can't agree on the Indy discussions at all, apart from Crystal Skull which - as TDK so aptly put it - was pure horse shit. Raiders was and is the best movie of its type. It stands the test of time and countless (and I do mean countless) rewatchings. Crusade was nealy as good, largely due to the father/son dynamic. I don't hate Doom by any means, it's not bad at all - it's just a pale imitation of the other two. I don't think it is the darkness and there are some good moments and set piece stunts it just lacks the story and cohesion of Raiders and Crusade. The correct order is:

Raiders
    Crusade

Doom

Crystal Skull.

jetsknicks1 and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Jaws is rated PG, and has full frontal nudity in the first five minutes. The 70’s must have been incredible.

12. UK jet

UK jet Member

Haven't seen that one
    Is it new?
    Love Guy Richie's older stuff like lock stock and 2 smoking barrels and Snatch

13. The Dark Knight

Tenet looks so good. It looks so Christopher Nolan too. If it did not tell you who directed it, you would just know by watching. Can't wait! Finally something good in 2020!

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  14. jetophile

@GQMartin I took your advice and watched 'The Gentleman'. I really enjoyed it! Hugh Grant, who'da thunk it, he was great! I don't know why it didn't come to me at the time, but of course Charlie Hunnam would be able to just be English considering that it's Guy Ritchie. He did a serviceable job, that's all I ask.

Very stylized and well done, loved a lot of the colors and the slickness of the way it was filmed. It was great to look at, and a lot of color of the movie is with the language itself. Well cast with the exception of tolerable Charlie, but he doesn't sink the movie least.

And Henry Golding, he's so good-looking and I couldn't get past his fucked up teeth, haha. It's so effective. Thanks for the reco. It was a fun watch.

15. UK jet

UK jet Member

Might be the wrong thread but Gangs of London is a fuckin ace series and needs to be watched by all on here

16. jetophile

Sounds good. Where can I find it? BBC? Thanks.

17. UK jet

UK jet Member

Sky Atlantic in UK
    Cinemax in US

18. jetophile

Which means I'll be pirating it, just like everything else! Thanks again, and welcome.

19. UK jet

UK jet Member

It's awesome British-american produced
    Only on the 6th episode but the fight scenes are epic

20. The Dark Knight

Uncut Gems is on Netflix now. I truly believe Adam Sandler gives a great performance. Give it a chance if you have not seen it yet. It is intense.

Cman68 likes this.