Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! To try to claim otherwise, is just ignorant.

2. NCJetsfan

I didn't say his floor was high. There is middle ground between high and low. If you want to think your version of reality is the only one, fine, but I totally disagree. I think his floor is somewhere between the two extremes, probably around the middle. He is not a bust risk. His floor is a solid starter. The weight may eventually catch up with him, but that has nothing to do with whether he can play LT at a high level in the NFL. You're confusing two separate issues.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

I dont know where you got the bold but ...

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...0-pound-freshman-has-lived-up-hype/837472001/

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't know if it has been mentioned in previous posts, but the Jets signed two undrafted free agent WRs. Just b/c they were undrafted doesn't mean they won't contribute. Robby Andersen was a UDFA.

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Yes but the chance of them contributing as much as someone like Bryan Edwards, Tyler Johnson, Collin Johnson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, or Antonio Gandy-Golden are slim. That's just a few that were still available when we picked a safety we did not need. All of those could easily become starters in this league. Not someone who has to fight to make the team. All would have been improvements at a position of need.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Davis isn't going to have to fight to make the team. You sound as if you haven't watched much film or done much reading on how Davis was rated/ranked. If you have, and still think he is going to have to fight to make the team, I suggest you get your eyes checked my friend. He is a playmaker, can play multiple positions and is a great STs player. He will probably replace Maye next year. I guarantee you that he is going to be on the roster, and won't have to break a figurative sweat to do so.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

No one said Davis was going to have to fight. That comment was about the udfa WR. Maybe you should check your eyes and read the post I was replying to.

8. NCJetsfan

Sorry if I misunderstood you, and also that you obviously took offense, when none was intended. IMO your wording and sentence structure (or lack thereof) was what made it confusing. Also, in another post in another thread, you had said that we didn't need to take a S in the draft, and had said that there were some fair or pretty good safeties available in FA, as if Davis could easily be replaced by one of the them. So it sounded like you didn't think that Davis was a good pick and thus would have to fight to make the team. The fact that you mentioned taking a safety in the middle of comparing the WRs you mentioned with the UDFA WRs, can make one think you're comparing him with the UDFA WRs. Since one poster liked my post, he obviously must have read it the same way I did, so you may want to step and try to see things from a different perspective.

We all use words differently. We also sometimes get in a hurry to read and respond, and posting via a phone rather than a computer can affect the way we use words and how quickly or how much we say.

9. J-Raw24

I do think we could have made a better pick than Davis. Any of the receivers around that spot would have been better IMO. And I do think he is easily replaced. There are always FAs available. And unless he becomes a top safety Eddie Jackson to Ed Reed, style player it was a waste. Maye will be cheap because while he is good in coverage, he's not a playmaker. His stone hands keep him out of that.

But yes that comment was about the UDFA receivers. I think we should have tried for another receiver instead of using picks on players that, while some may work out as Davis should, were not a need and and some, like our new edge, may not work out.

If our 3rd round picks pan out, which is a big question mark, then Douglas made good moves. But they were 3rd round at positions that were not deep in this draft for a reason. I think Davis may but again there are good safeties available every year in FA. They will be signed cheap. Unless they are stars like Jamal they don't get paid. I doubt Davis is that good, it's possible, but a receiver would have been more useful to the team.

#289 J-Raw24, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Taylor Gabriel is free, he caught 100 out of 141 balls thrown his way, not a bad feat with who the Bears have at QB.

He got 14m guaranteed on signing with the bears and a 4m bonus off a 26m 4 year deal, obviously, I wouldn't be offering him anywhere near that but he could do a job for us.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets might trade Maye. There are rumors that they are trying to do so.

12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Am I being naïve to think that maybe Douglas didn't draft a second WR because he and the coaches have seen something in Doctson to make them think he can be a serviceable #4 receiver (after Crowder, Perriman, and Mims)? They might also have seen something in V. Smith to think he can be an adequate #5 receiver/kick returner. Finally, they might have assessed Berrios as a decent #6 receiver/punt returner. We're just not privy to the observations they can make, and I trust Douglas, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  13. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

We are asking why a GM who played OL passed on taking the 1st WR in a draft loaded with wideout talent and instead took the 3rd OT, one that has bust potential due to a history of weight problems, and then neglected to take a 2nd WR in Rounds 3-4 when he had multiple picks?

Douglas in an OL

“The game is won in the trenches” — that’s a cliche that is less true now than ever with all of the new rules favoring receivers

The NFL is a pussified league now — it’s a few more rule changes away from flag football

“The game may be won in the trenches, but not if you have shit at your skill positions.” — NFL 2020

WRs with high IPP scores have NEVER been more important than they are today

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Guys just wanna get all your thoughts on IPP. Anyone?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

Wasn't that a hip hop song in the 80s? Naughty by Nature or Mark E Mark... maybe early 90s..

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  16. J-Raw24

Just so you know I in no way would have taken Jeudy over Becton. None of what I said was about that. In fact you have them reversed for me and most posters here know that. Jeudy would have been my 3rd receiver option as I would have taken Lamb or a trade back to get picks and Justin Jefferson before I took Jeudy. Becton on the other hand was in fact my first choice at tackle. While I think we should have take more receivers I am glad we took Becton over Jeudy.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. J-Raw24

I don't think Doctson is a serviceable number 4. And even if he was in the 3rd we had a chance to take receivers that were future number 2s maybe even 1s. IMO those are more important than a serviceable number 4.

18. NCJetsfan

What history of weight problems? He has 17% body fat, which is nothing for a man his size. I want links to articles or you need to stop posting this BS. Becton was absolutely the right pick. If not Becton, it should have been Lamb, NOT Jeudy.

ColoradoContrails, J-Raw24 and K'OB like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'm sorry to be crude but I wish you would just fuck off, you are boring the pants off everybody with your repetitive shit.

In fact, carry on as I am about to get some peace and quiet, have a great day Jerry.

FJF, Dierking and joe like this.
  20. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

My biggest fear is that he gets injured and can no longer work out

That’s when I think we could see his weight balloon up to 400+ pounds and he may have difficulty shedding the weight, especially if his period of inactivity is long

Secondly, his large weight may also make him more likely to be injured simply due to the increased mechanical stress placed on his joints, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, etc

His father obviously has a serious weight issue, he looked to be at least 400-450 pounds

Here is a pic of his father:

https://www.12up.com/posts/jets-first-round-pick-mekhi-becton-s-dad-is-an-absolute-unit-01e6mxdgxez0

Obesity does have a very strong genetic component, that’s a very well-known fact:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2570383/

There are numerous classical twin studies in obesity, and the average heritability (i.e., proportion of inter-individual difference in a trait explicable by genetic variability) reported consistently in these studies on the order of 40–75% (8,11,12). The classical “adopted-separated twin” study of Stunkard et al. (12) showed no significant correlation between adult BMI of a twin with the members of a family into which they had been adopted, while the correlation coefficient of BMI of one twin with their co-twin (who, in most cases, they had not seen since the first months of life) was 0.7. These remarkable data have never been seriously challenged, and their implications are profound.

Many observers, including NFL scouts have concerns about Becton’s weight

Here is a sampling:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/17/nfl-scout-weighs-in-on-mekhi-becton-loves-to-cook-and-eat/

“Know why I have him fifth [among offensive tackles]? Because he loves to cook and eat more than he loves frigging football,” the scout told McGinn for his annual, nine-part NFL Draft series.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/mekhi-becton-drug-test-draft-stock/546905

If offensive lineman Mekhi Becton drops further than expected in the NFL Draft, it does not sound like his flagged drug test will be the reason why.

According to ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr., teams are not as concerned about the drug test as they are about Becton’s weight, which could be a bigger issue.

“I think you look at where he could go, maybe he doesn’t go 10, maybe gets into the middle, some think maybe into the 20s,” Kiper said on ESPN. “I don’t think that’s going to be that big an issue. I think the managing the weight; you know 363, 364 at the combine. Will he keep that weight around 360, 365, or balloon up to 380? I think managing the weight will determine what type of left tackle, offensive tackle Mekhi Becton is

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/...-raises-unique-questions-for-cleveland-browns

Is Becton's body, particularly his joints, able to sustain that kind of weight and the pounding he's putting on them for as fast as he's moving or is he going to be dealing with injuries that wear on his body and sap him over the course of an NFL career.

But as far as his bones, his joints, particularly his knees and feet are concerned, is he going to be able to safely carry that much weight over the course of his career? How will his heart hold up? And specifically for the Browns, can his stamina hold up where he can effectively execute everything in their wide zone scheme while being able to do it potentially at an up-tempo pace?