Jets sign Frank Gore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 5, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He averaged 12 touches a game in Miami .

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gore is one of the best at blocking one on one against the blitz of any running back in the league. I'm not thrilled with the pickup but Gore does all the dirty work that you could ever ask a running back to do.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's taking touches away from a younger, faster player.

Didn't the Jets just draft a RB? This move pretty much guarantees he'll be collecting dust for most of the year.

Should've drafted another WR to help Darnold if they were gonna pull this move out of their behinds.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Goal line situations are special. If you succeed you've got 7 points, if you fail, you get 3 (if you have a consistent kicker which the Jets don't at the moment), and if you turn over the ball, which is a high possibility with a young team, you've got zilch. I think this move, combined with a new OT the size of a Catskill Mt., is an insurance policy to eliminate any goal line possibility other than success. Nevertheless, I do like Powell and hope they retain him.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What about Perrine? That also allows Gore to pass protect while you line Bell up wide.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Do the Jets REALLY need him? Or is this a move to help Gase? I suspect the latter.

Some here will say, "Well how is helping Gase not a good thing? Doesn't helping Gase help the Jets?" IMO, no. If Gase needs the help from a 37 year old RB, then he's not the right HC for the team. This move hints of desperation - "I need my guys to win", instead of having the confidence that he can get anyone motivated to win.(Of course when you have a career losing record it makes that job much harder).

And it's not like they're going to be contending this year anyway. Why not let the guys you have get the work, and why not use that money to sign a WR?

I wish Frank Gore all the best, especially if he's a NY Jet, but I don't like the behind the scenes motive I suspect is driving this signing.

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The turning point in last season's week 1 season ruining choke job against Buffalo was when the Bills stopped giving the ball to Gore and started giving it to the rookie RB. He changed that game.

I was so happy Buffalo was feeding Gore the ball.

And now he's on my team. :( *cry*

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

to be fair gore was one of the most talented backs ever at miami until he tore his acl in both his sophomore and junior seasons. he has been an absolute trooper coming back from major injuries over and over and over again. a true throw back type of player in that way. ive always rooted for that kid.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

IDK, I thought vets that played with him in Miami didn't like Gase, now we are saying its helping Gase? I don't get it. I am sure the move doesn't cost much and it allows Gore to help Bell out with the dirty work.

An addition like this helps the team, but I find it interesting those that based Gase are now quiet in terms of players not wanting to play for him. Look at how he helped young players.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Gase couldn’t figure out how to use Bell, Montgomery or Powell, but 37 yr old one dimensional Gore is going to plod us to the promised land?

Letting go of players that could help just so Gase has his 37 yr old vet?
    I like Gore but this move sucks.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At least the Jets had a good reason for bringing in an aging Bret Farve. Not sure why Gore was signed other than to mentor the new kid RB. Perhaps send a message to Bell that this is his last rodeo with the Jets so don't plan on being here for the entire contract. Didn't take long for Gase to start everyone's head scratching again did it...

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Gase is the second most hated man in the tri-state area. There are so many conspiracy theories about him.

I never thought about the blocking aspect of Gore or the veteran presence. I like the signing more. Plus it's a more solid backup plan than Cannon + Perine. Let's not forget that Le'Veon likes to go out to clubs and party. Likely where the big coronavirus will run wild in the fall. I imagine if players test positive, even without symptoms, they'll be on the shelf for a month. Depth is probably as important as ever this year.

NCJetsfan, 101GangGreen101 and K'OB like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Lightweight power back" o_O

Perine and Powell are very similar players.... Go Gators

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is like football teams in the EPL the newly promoted ones used to by the mercenary types from the teams that just got relegated and then wonder why they struggle.

It isn't happening as much now though but 5-10 years ago it was rife and plainly dumb as fuck, like giving Fitz a 2 year contract lol

15. K'OB

But at least it will be a huge punt this year, something to look forward to :)

NCJetsfan, Cman68, Pepsiguy5 and 3 others like this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

DWC wishes he can give a ten paragraph post on why this is a great signing.

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.... So he has a great work ethic and a good locker room guy. Guess what, Powell has the same characteristics... and frankly when he was in - the few times he was - he played well and ran the ball well. Like you said BTQ, he couldn't figure how to use them and stuck to his blocking scheme that netted what 2+ yds a carry,,, can not wait. Hope I am wrong but...

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That Florida DNA yo

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  19. K'OB

I hope he does but I won't see it :D:D:D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've never touted the meme that players hate to play for Gase. That's never been the basis of my opinion of him as a bad HC - I base it completely on his record.

But even if some players hate playing for him, certainly some DO like playing for him. I would imagine a player who gets more favorable treatment - more playing time, etc. - from a HC would like playing for him. From what I know, Gore fits that category.

I'm not of the opinion that this is a terrible move, I just pointed out why I don't like it. It's akin to Gase hiring Payton Oswalt to be his waterboy...I mean OC...it seems like a move to prop up his fragile confidence. Moreover, it will likely takes reps away from a guy they used a pretty high draft pick on. But it's not franchise-altering.